The Falkirk FC Thread

Of course the big fear is now we are so absolutely hopeless, we will be subject to the shame of our 1st XI losing to Attilla's U-20's in the Challenge Cup.
Genuinely think I'd be done with fitba forever if that happened. We'd never get over that sort of a riddy.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that the Colts are now the U23s from this season (I think), rather than the U20’s so defeat is more likely.

1 minute ago, roman_bairn said:

Pretty sure I read somewhere that the Colts are now the U23s from this season (I think), rather than the U20’s so defeat is more likely.

I fear you are correct. You can also play a couple of overage players!

9 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Any sensible Scottish football fan should boycott that entire minter of a competition anyway. I don't give a flying f**k if we lose.

I want us to win, as I get the distinct feeling they may be very thin on the ground this season. 

Sammut is giving every indication of being a player who has played a season or two too much kiddy football and is struggling to find a competitive streak in his game. I hope he does soon. Owen-Evans as well, though he's probably still dealing with the shock of Truro. 

Team for the Attilas please, cause we've tried everything else

lineup (4).png

Edited by DeeBairn

Sammut is giving every indication of being a player who has played a season or two too much kiddy football and is struggling to find a competitive streak in his game. I hope he does soon. Owen-Evans as well, though he's probably still dealing with the shock of Truro. 

He was trying early doors to spread long balls which were easily being picked up by Thistle. I reckon he probably has lots of talent but severely lacks experience. Too early for him imo sadly....

2 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

He was trying early doors to spread long balls which were easily being picked up by Thistle. I reckon he probably has lots of talent but severely lacks experience. Too early for him imo sadly....

Can we round up Baptie, McLaughlin and a couple of other hard old b*****ds and stick Sammut and Owen-Evans into a keep the ball session?

All the blame tonight should lie with Hartley

I felt he came across as slightly arrogant in that interview piling the blame all onto the players.

I said last season that I had concerns re his management skills, when it appears he told the players that he did not want, early doors, to find another club, and some of them appeared to down tools.

This season I get the impression, with very little exception, that anyone who was with the club prior to his engagement is being punted. That would be ok if he was bringing in better, but I genuinely concern myself that we have also lost a few better players than are coming in for no reason other than sheer bloody-mindedness.

Please prove me wrong Mr Hartley...

Looking at Hartley’s post match interview, I don’t see a frustrated manager at all. I see a manager who knows that he is in big trouble, and also knows he has signed a hell of a lot of duds, and is desperately trying to make the proverbial silk purse from pig’s ear.

When he spoke about working all week about how to counter Thistle, it brought back one of Pressley’s worst traits.......abject fear of the opposition regardless of who they were.

We knew well enough this was a poor Thistle side, yet Hartley went there with one up in the hope of containing them and maybe getting a point. When he spoke about going 4-4-2 second half, he made it sound like it was some sort of crazy tactic.

Please God, not another manager who is scared of everybody we play. The only reason Hartley could have for behaving this way is because he knows what he has done to the playing side of the club is massively damaging.

2 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I'm not really saying anything BPM; just pointing out what I think is an interesting stat.

We have been shit in every game is the only stat that needs to be improved on

1 hour ago, Rocco said:

Hartley has shown he can see where the problems are during a game and change it which is great because Houston couldn't do that. All he needs to do now is get his starting 11 right and we'll have a great chance of winning games.

Sorry Houston repeatedly got it wrong in his last full season and changed it at half time and we did end up 2nd that season, the difference is that it was one change and not the 2 and formation change we see under Hartley.

Houston came into his first season with the negative 1 up top, that was kicked out pretty quickly, you don't win or compete in this league with negative formations.....there lies Hartley's problems

6 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I felt he came across as slightly arrogant in that interview piling the blame all onto the players.
I said last season that I had concerns re his management skills, when it appears he told the players that he did not want early doors to find another club, and some of them appeared to down tools.
This season I get the impression, with very little exception, that anyone who was with the club prior to his engagement is being punted. That would be ok if he was bringing in better, but I genuinely concern myself that we have also lost a few better players than are coming in for no reason other than sheer bloody-mindedness.
Please prove me wrong Mr Hartley...

5 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Looking at Hartley’s post match interview, I don’t see a frustrated manager at all. I see a manager who knows that he is in big trouble, and also knows he has signed a hell of a lot of duds, and is desperately trying to make the proverbial silk purse from pig’s ear.

When he spoke about working all week about how to counter Thistle, it brought back one of Pressley’s worst traits.......abject fear of the opposition regardless of who they were.

We knew well enough this was a poor Thistle side, yet Hartley went there with one up in the hope of containing them and maybe getting a point. When he spoke about going 4-4-2 second half, he made it sound like it was some sort of crazy tactic.

Please God, not another manager who is scared of everybody we play. The only reason Hartley could have for behaving this way is because he knows what he has done to the playing side of the club is massively damaging.

1 minute ago, MrDust said:

We have been shit in every game is the only stat that needs to be improved on

Sorry Houston repeatedly got it wrong in his last full season and changed it at half time and we did end up 2nd that season, the difference is that it was one change and not the 2 and formation change we see under Hartley.

Houston came into his first season with the negative 1 up top, that was kicked out pretty quickly, you don't win or compete in this league with negative formations.....there lies Hartley's problems

Two up front or GTFO.

He's trying to play a 4231 which isn't a negative formation, however, our players aren't playing it how they should. Need to go back to basics in a 442

I posted last week on here that the danger of this whole strategy, if this goes wrong it could be damaging for years to come, and I really hope that in the next few weeks I am proved wrong.

You have to wonder if a few academy players (e.g. Cieran Dunn) alongside, say Taiwo and McKee as examples, could have done better today. Not saying they would, but you have to wonder...

1 minute ago, Rocco said:
4 minutes ago, MrDust said:

He's trying to play a 4231 which isn't a negative formation, however, our players aren't playing it how they should. Need to go back to basics in a 442

It's an incredibly stupid formation when both of your fullbacks  are centre halfs and there's nobody else out wide.

We might be lucky and get a 442 going forward once Greenwood is up to fitness.