The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, ilostmyself said:

I've seen Turner a few times and thought he was really poor. I wonder if we might cancel his loan if we can, looks like Haber, Lewis and Mackin look to be ahead of him and if we're signing another player then I've no idea where he or O'Hara fit in.

We would need to cancel before 5pm today re Turner

O'Hara might get a chance to prove himself out wide and if he has anything about him it wont be hard with our current wide options

So, Partick Thistle. What do we actually think our chances are of picking up three points? Leaving aside all the formations and player arguments, if we keep it simple and put out a strong team, will we take full points? 

13 hours ago, Rocco said:
14 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:
Muirheads a liability at right back. Mcghee can play there but is limited going forward and hopeless as a rwb if we ever need to move to 3 at the back. Weve got 3 left backs , and will have 6 strikers if we sign another and punt shepherd. Is it really too much to ask for us to have signed a player who is first and foremost a right back considering the number of bodies we have in our squad? The likes of smith who was at st mirren last season and williamson at dunfermline are the kind of attacking midfielder we should be trying to get hold  of. Big strong and excellent going forward.

I'm not going to get into the whole right back debate. I do however feel we don't need anymore players as tbh I don't think we've seen what some of the guys we already have are capable of

We do know though that none of the players we have are proper attacking right backs.  Yes we may have loads of players but the squad to me is again unbalanced like it was under Houston.  I thought we would've learned from that mistake but obviously not.

I think we need to press higher and get stuck in a wee bit more. All the talk is they are a team of shitebags. I want Hartley to have us hounding teams of shitebags because that can result in skelpings for the ages like 6(six)-1 last season.

Two up front and get after them.

Hopefully the signing of Russell means there will be a left back playing left back. That should leave RB as the only area of concern but much less so with McGhee available to play there.

Feel quite good about Saturday. Would be surprised if Hartley hasnt learned something from last week and hopefully Greenwood is fit enough to start.

I really want to see 2 up front, and people playing in their natural positions. If that happens then I think we have enough about us to get on the board.

8 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

So, Partick Thistle. What do we actually think our chances are of picking up three points? Leaving aside all the formations and player arguments, if we keep it simple and put out a strong team, will we take full points? 

Simple, score first and the game is over. I think it is the same for both teams. I believe if you win you will see a lot of very angry Thistle fans.

11 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Stoke you mean.

Is it in Stoke? Fair enough. Couldn't be arsed checking. 

8 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

We do know though that none of the players we have are proper attacking right backs.  Yes we may have loads of players but the squad to me is again unbalanced like it was under Houston.  I thought we would've learned from that mistake but obviously not.

It's nowhere near as unbalanced as some of Houstons squads. We have one player not playing in his natural position, and he's a centre half. When we start playing attacking midfielders at right back then we've hit Houston levels of unbalanced. 

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I think we need to press higher and get stuck in a wee bit more. All the talk is they are a team of shitebags. I want Hartley to have us hounding teams of shitebags because that can result in skelpings for the ages like 6(six)-1 last season.

Two up front and get after them.

Hopefully the signing of Russell means there will be a left back playing left back. That should leave RB as the only area of concern but much less so with McGhee available to play there.

Feel quite good about Saturday. Would be surprised if Hartley hasnt learned something from last week and hopefully Greenwood is fit enough to start.

I really want to see 2 up front, and people playing in their natural positions. If that happens then I think we have enough about us to get on the board.

Into them, simple. Unleash the Paton, but expect plenty of bookings. 

19 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

Is it in Stoke? Fair enough. Couldn't be arsed checking. 

It's nowhere near as unbalanced as some of Houstons squads. We have one player not playing in his natural position, and he's a centre half. When we start playing attacking midfielders at right back then we've hit Houston levels of unbalanced. 

Into them, simple. Unleash the Paton, but expect plenty of bookings. 

Saturday we had Mcghee, Muirhead, and Lewis all playing in positions that arent their favoured.  We've got 3 left backs and no proper right backs. We've got a lot of pretty similar central midfielders. ie slow and small.  We've only got one real right winger whose murder and Greenwood looks like our only real option at left wing otherwise your playing brough, robson or russell who are all preferrably left backs.  Ok maybe its not quite as unbalanced as Houstons but its still got holes in it which considering the number of players he's been allowed to sign shouldnt have happened.

Edited by Shodwall cat

#wegoagain

Sitting at level pegging at 21 and 20 on the hit (man) parade.

Both sitting on 38 goals, neither need too much introduction I would think.

Firstly, just for @LovaMan Bairn, is a player thrust into the team at 16 who went on to play well over 250 games for the club. Lacking in pace and stature, especially initially, his skills, passing and positional awareness were beautiful things. A cool finisher too, generally. It's

Craig Sibbald

On the same score is another attacking midfielder. He burst onto the scene at Hibs, had an unfortunate time at Brentford which did throw up the splendid Bairns/Bees love-in for a while. Jim Jefferies did what Jim Jefferies did best, and swooped for a Scot struggling in Englandshire (cf John Clark, Tommy McQueen, Alex Taylor). He did that "ghosting in at the back post" Billy Stark thing beautifully. A shy, quiet guy who should never have been offered or accepted the manager's job which  is all younger fans will know of him. Step up

Eddie May

1 minute ago, Shodwall cat said:

Saturday we had Mcghee, Muirhead, and Lewis all playing in positions that arent their favoured.  We've got 3 left backs and no proper right backs. We've got a lot of pretty similar central midfielders. ie slow and small.  We've only got one real right winger whose murder and Greenwood looks like our only real option at left wing otherwise your playing brough, robson or russell who are all preferrably left backs.  Ok maybe its not quite as unbalanced as Houstons but its still got wholes in it which considering the number of players he's been allowed to sign shouldnt have happened.

Given PH said at the start he wants players that can play more than one position read into that what you will but its a case of i prefer left midfield than left back but i have played there in the past, OK so we have no natural right back but have players that have played at right back even though its not their natural position.  I would see yes it is a bit of a weakness but still have cover there.

Saturday we had Mcghee, Muirhead, and Lewis all playing in positions that arent their favoured.  We've got 3 left backs and no proper right backs. We've got a lot of pretty similar central midfielders. ie slow and small.  We've only got one real right winger whose murder and Greenwood looks like our only real option at left wing otherwise your playing brough, robson or russell who are all preferrably left backs.  Ok maybe its not quite as unbalanced as Houstons but its still got holes in it which considering the number of players he's been allowed to sign shouldnt have happened.
Which midfielders are small and slow?

You are getting lazy here.

17 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

agree with the RB situation, however petra did look like one of our better players pre season, just because he was pish against ICT hardly means he's murder,

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Which midfielders are small and slow?

You are getting lazy here.

Paton, Toe, Sammut, Irving, Mckee, Kidd,. None of them are overly physical or  have exactly blistering pace.  Most of them I would put in the bracket of tidy players  of the type we've had in abundance over the past few seasons.  We desperately need a Vaulks type who can drive the side forward with a bit of pace and power and a may,taylor  or alston type whose going to bag you a few goals over the course of the season.   I'm all for having players that can play in different positions but the starter in every position should be playing in their favoured position and not one they can simply do a job in. 

6 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

agree with the RB situation, however petra did look like one of our better players pre season, just because he was pish against ICT hardly means he's murder,

Harris looked good  last season in the sooped up friendlies that are the league cup group stages.  They mean nothing and to be honest he hardly looked anything special against mediocre opposition anyway.

Edited by Shodwall cat

4 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Harris looked good  last season in the sooped up friendlies that are the league cup group stages.  They mean nothing and to be honest he hardly looked anything special against mediocre opposition anyway.

so lets give him a chance (along with other new signings) and not write them off as 'murder' after 1 game

Saturday we had Mcghee, Muirhead, and Lewis all playing in positions that arent their favoured.

Dennon Lewis said when he signed he’s always been more of a winger and it was only really last year he was encouraged to play more up front.

We desperately need a Vaulks type who can drive the side forward with a bit of pace and power and a may,taylor  or alston type whose going to bag you a few goals over the course of the season. 

Every team in Scotland could do with a ‘Will Vaulks type’ in their team. If another player of that quality was available there is no chance we would be able to afford him.

Difference is Harris career he has played in Scotland the whole time the other young lads its different, its not U23s for them, bear in mind some  of them are only 19 and first time away from in another town/country and in this case playing football with 15 other blokes they just met a month and a half ago.