The Falkirk FC Thread

Hope to be proved wrong but after seeing him 3 times in the flesh this season can’t see how Paton is an improvement on anything that has been binned or is the answer to our problems. I would like to see Sammut given a chance against Partick. Looking forward to Saturday and a few scoops down Byers Road and a much improved performance and a change in personnel in defence.

Would say that’s a given [emoji1360].

LB - Russell
CB - Dallison
CB - Harrison or Muirhead
RB - McGhee

11 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Let's round off the first half with positions 27 and 26

Here we have two recent players who gave their all, and both notched 36 goals. We all will have plenty recollections of:

Darryl Duffy

John Baird.

How many goals do you have Craig Sibbald with?

13 minutes ago, Top Bins said:

Hope to be proved wrong but after seeing him 3 times in the flesh this season can’t see how Paton is an improvement on anything that has been binned or is the answer to our problems. I would like to see Sammut given a chance against Partick. Looking forward to Saturday and a few scoops down Byers Road and a much improved performance and a change in personnel in defence.

Paton is a solid if unspectacular option, he huffed and puffed a bit on Saturday but that was to be expected when we signed him. He knows his limits and so do we. I thought he offered more than Owen-Evans personally.,

5 minutes ago, Top Bins said:

Dallison was extremely dodgy against ICT but I would still retain him alongside Aero for me.

Barring a right wing-back, we have got a really capable squad to play a 3-5-2. Dallison with McGhee and Muirhead either side of him would allow us to mask the weaknesses of all three to some extent - Muirhead and McGhee can be physical while Dallison gets up to speed, McGhee and Dallison are comfortable with the ball at their feet which stops Muirhead having to play short, McGhee has two extra bodies to cover if he steps into midfield. Paton can offer some coverage defensively if the wing backs push on. Both Robson and Russell are decent footballers who can get up the wing. Haber is strong in the air and Lewis is quick.

I think he'll go 4-4-2 again unfortunately.

Four strikers signed this summer, a new contract for O'Hara, Froxylias signed to play in the hole, Greenwood and Petravicius signed for the wings, and he's wanting another attacking player in. Meanwhile we have no right back in the entire squad. I must be missing something as it is such a glaring gap to me. 
It's not a glaring gap though. McGhee has played there quite a few times and played well. There is absolutely no point in wasting a wage on a right back if that means Aero, McGhee, Harrison or Dallison will be a permanent fixture on the bench

16 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Paton is a solid if unspectacular option, he huffed and puffed a bit on Saturday but that was to be expected when we signed him. He knows his limits and so do we. I thought he offered more than Owen-Evans personally.

This 100%. I'm thinking back to Jan 2nd when the likes of Wedderburn were strolling 30 yards through our midfield, unchallenged. We've been crying out for an unspectacular midfield brute. He'll do the job we're paying him to do with the creative responsibilities resting on the shoulders of others.

22 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

This 100%. I'm thinking back to Jan 2nd when the likes of Wedderburn were strolling 30 yards through our midfield, unchallenged. We've been crying out for an unspectacular midfield brute. He'll do the job we're paying him to do with the creative responsibilities resting on the shoulders of others.

Not been impressed with TOE so far at all. Doesn’t seem to have any particular strengths, or any actual strength for that matter. Hopefully he develops.

47 minutes ago, Rocco said:
2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:
Four strikers signed this summer, a new contract for O'Hara, Froxylias signed to play in the hole, Greenwood and Petravicius signed for the wings, and he's wanting another attacking player in. Meanwhile we have no right back in the entire squad. I must be missing something as it is such a glaring gap to me. 

It's not a glaring gap though. McGhee has played there quite a few times and played well. There is absolutely no point in wasting a wage on a right back if that means Aero, McGhee, Harrison or Dallison will be a permanent fixture on the bench

Muirheads a liability at right back. Mcghee can play there but is limited going forward and hopeless as a rwb if we ever need to move to 3 at the back. Weve got 3 left backs , and will have 6 strikers if we sign another and punt shepherd. Is it really too much to ask for us to have signed a player who is first and foremost a right back considering the number of bodies we have in our squad? The likes of smith who was at st mirren last season and williamson at dunfermline are the kind of attacking midfielder we should be trying to get hold  of. Big strong and excellent going forward.

OK, now we're into the top 25.

Positions 25 to 22 are equal; all having notched 37 times for The Navy Blue.

I'll unashamedly admit that three of these guys are among some of my all time favourites. A couple of them will score highly on any supporter of my age's all time lists I suspect.

First, an underwhelming striker, whose tenacity and fire was never in doubt, but whose self belief and frankly ability, seemed catapulted to new levels by the arrival of a certain £100k striker from the French league. It is of course

Sam McGivern.

Next, a niggly wee git with red cheeks we signed from Hearts. A deep lying no. 9. Good from the spot and a stalwart of the '97 team.

Scott Crabbe.

If any of you need any reason to ask "who?" at the next name then you are clearly a foetus. Ask an older fan, because the stories are manifold. Flying into tackles, towering to win headers, smashing in loose balls and generally being unpredictable and heroic, of course it's

Crawford Baptie

Wide midfielder, no 10, he'd perform well right across the middle. Just never ask him to play right back. Sublime skills, gangly legs and some gorgeous goals, of course it's

Blair Alston.

Muirheads a liability at right back. Mcghee can play there but is limited going forward and hopeless as a rwb if we ever need to move to 3 at the back. Weve got 3 left backs , and will have 6 strikers if we sign another and punt shepherd. Is it really too much to ask for us to have signed a player who is first and foremost a right back considering the number of bodies we have in our squad? The likes of smith who was at st mirren last season and williamson at dunfermline are the kind of attacking midfielder we should be trying to get hold  of. Big strong and excellent going forward.
I'm not going to get into the whole right back debate. I do however feel we don't need anymore players as tbh I don't think we've seen what some of the guys we already have are capable of

8 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

I'm guessing there must be players leaving on top of Harris, Mckee and Shepherd if we're bringing in another forward. 

O'Hara would seem the obvious candidate as I doubt Hartley'll want 6 strikers.

It's not impossible some players will go out on loan over and above the three who're very clearly not wanted.

20 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

Can you send someone you have on loan.. out on loan?

Asking for a Don..

You can send them on a 6 month holiday to Port Vale, I hear. (is that even a place or just the name of the club?) 

2 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Heard from 2 auld boys on the bus that Sammut has been told to shape up or ship out. Must be true as auld guts are always ITK

Speaking of shapes 

Screenshot_20180808-222726.jpg

Heard from 2 auld boys on the bus that Sammut has been told to shape up or ship out. Must be true as auld guts are always ITK

I was told that by a few old boys (maybe the same 2), sitting near me on Saturday at the game that Hartley has given him some sort of ultimatum but I just glossed over it as the usual pish you hear from the stands now and again!