The Falkirk FC Thread

Sounds a bit like writing the season off to me.

Aye, it does when you remove words for convenience.
Also, wonder what the word ‘possibility’ means eh?
The point I was making was that we need a confidence boost or we may find ourselves in the lower reaches. We only need to see what happened last season after an excellent 10 mins at St Mirren. After losing that game we appear to have collapsed in the dressing room, and never really recovered for the rest of the year. So it’s important to get a win early doors to avoid that mindset taking prevalence. Confidence is critical if we want a winning team.
Please stop making things up.

Too many on here quite happy to put their heads in the sand IMO. The result, tactics and performance on Saturday simply weren't acceptable. And the concerns people are showing aren't based on 1 game, they're based on 12.

The line last week was that everything would magically get better when the first league game came along. Now that hasn't happened, it's 'give it 10 games' from the happy clappers. 

No one is writing off the season, but it's completely delusional to not have any concerns.

Edited by EdiBairn

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

You only have to look at the size of squad to know that our budget is pretty substantial this season. Players arent going to relocate  from down south for peanuts . We've got a squad of nearly 30 players . I would be amazed if the budget Hartley has isnt about the biggest after  the first season we came down.

We've got four players on loan, a guy who relocated as far as he could get away from personal issues (Harrison), a guy who was a laughing stock in the Premiership with Motherwell (Petravicius), a player who was with Sunderland but was slumming it at Gateshead (Greenwood) someone who was released by Watfords academy (Lewis) a guy who was on loan at Accrington Stanley (Dallison) a guy who was part time with a team that was relegated (Froxylias) and a guy who was on loan in the National League (Owen-Evans).  And Paton, we were probably the highest placed team he could find.

With the exception of Paton, all these guys have moved here to prove that they can play football, they aren't here to earn big money, they are here to earn themselves a name and a move. Whether any of them do that, remains to be seen, but can we put to bed the bullshit about paying big wages to guys who have played 16 games before joining us?

3 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

Too many on here quite happy to put their heads in the sand IMO. The result, tactics and performance on Saturday simply weren't acceptable. And the concerns people are showing aren't based on 1 game, they're based on 12.

The line last week was that everything would magically get better when the first league game came along. Now that hasn't happened, it's 'give it 10 games' from the happy clappers. 

Or, you could stop being possibly the biggest defeatist outside of One F and realise that, yes, Hartley has been tinkering with the formation and players all off season and in the cup games. He has had one game of what he would class the important part of the season and ypu, he got his tactics wrong. I'm not shitting the bed yet.

And as far as the budget chat goes, outside of the first season we were down, where we were stuck paying Premiership wages, this probably is the biggest budget for a decade, but not for the reasons anyone is willing to mention. You've all conveniently forgotten that we have spent years whining like little girls about the small budgets compared to other teams. So, yeah, it's the biggest budget in years. I'll also wager it's smaller than the one Yogi took us up with, and it's sure as hell smaller than the one we came down with.

1 minute ago, roman_bairn said:

Aye, it does when you remove words for convenience.
Also, wonder what the word ‘possibility’ means eh?
The point I was making was that we need a confidence boost or we may find ourselves in the lower reaches. We only need to see what happened last season after an excellent 10 mins at St Mirren. After losing that game we appear to have collapsed in the dressing room, and never really recovered for the rest of the year. So it’s important to get a win early doors to avoid that mindset taking prevalence. Confidence is critical if we want a winning team.
Please stop making things up.

So do we automatically become title contenders if we win on Saturday?

It's possible we could finish in any one of ten positions come May - regardless of Saturday's result.  I don't think we're any more or less likely to finish bottom half if we lose on Saturday, to be honest. I'll have a better idea after the first round of games.

12 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

We've got four players on loan, a guy who relocated as far as he could get away from personal issues (Harrison), a guy who was a laughing stock in the Premiership with Motherwell (Petravicius), a player who was with Sunderland but was slumming it at Gateshead (Greenwood) someone who was released by Watfords academy (Lewis) a guy who was on loan at Accrington Stanley (Dallison) a guy who was part time with a team that was relegated (Froxylias) and a guy who was on loan in the National League (Owen-Evans).  And Paton, we were probably the highest placed team he could find.

With the exception of Paton, all these guys have moved here to prove that they can play football, they aren't here to earn big money, they are here to earn themselves a name and a move. Whether any of them do that, remains to be seen, but can we put to bed the bullshit about paying big wages to guys who have played 16 games before joining us?

Nobody is saying their on big money but their hardly going to be on peanuts either.

Okay so lets get this straight what we're saying here is that we're working with the same mediocre budget of previous years  then and there was really no point therefore in ditching the academy etc to help fund our promotion push as that hasnt actually happened?  Or is it the biggest budget we have had since we came down and therefore should we not be seeing some results on the park because of that? 

I expected the manager to select his formation of choice and then sign the players he needed to suit that formation. Use preseason to hone this so that we would be starting with a team that was used to playing together and knew what they were doing.  Why then start on Saturday with a back 4 containing 4 centrebacks suddenly flung together?

Edited by Shodwall cat

6 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Nobody is saying their on big money but their hardly going to be on peanuts either.

Okay so lets get this straight what we're saying here is that we're working with the same mediocre budget of previous years  then and there was really no point therefore in ditching the academy etc to help fund our promotion push as that hasnt actually happened?  Or is it the biggest budget we have had since we came down and therefore should we not be seeing some results on the park because of that? 

I expected the manager to select his formation of choice and then sign the players he needed to suit that formation. Use preseason to hone this so that we would be starting with a team that was used to playing together and knew what they were doing.  Why then start on Saturday with a back 4 containing 4 centrebacks suddenly flung together?

Nobody is saying it, but everyone brings us the biggest budget in a decade without putting any thought into what it means.

No, its an increase on the mediocre budget of previous years. So it's slightly less mediocre now. You getting there now?

How do you know he hasn't? Seems feasible enough that you scout players that fit a position. Problem is, sometimes they don't settle with the players around them. Or any number of other reasons. Hence all the change in formations etc. You pick players for a formation, then find it doesn't work, do you stick with it or try another one? Seems he's dammed either way.

Lot of people seem to have insider knowledge of squad budgets , reason why academy was cut, mass fall outs of manager and players 

Never seen so much drama about 1 yes 1 league defeat 1 game into the season  

meltdown.jpg

Just now, DeeBairn said:

Nobody is saying it, but everyone brings us the biggest budget in a decade without putting any thought into what it means.

No, its an increase on the mediocre budget of previous years. So it's slightly less mediocre now. You getting there now?

How do you know he hasn't? Seems feasible enough that you scout players that fit a position. Problem is, sometimes they don't settle with the players around them. Or any number of other reasons. Hence all the change in formations etc. You pick players for a formation, then find it doesn't work, do you stick with it or try another one? Seems he's dammed either way.

We're still stuck playing Muirhead at right back even though he's signed about 16 players.   Amazes me that signing Tumilty was the first thing he did last season and yet this season its still one of our weakest positions. Areas like that should've been priority and yet we have kidd, sammut, irving, paton and mckee who can all play centre midfield but no new right back.  He keeps on sticking Lewis at left mid where he clearly cant play and Tommy Robson who was one of his best signings last season appears to be totally out of favour and behind Mcghee who has no left foot.  No idea why we signed both Mackin and Haber as one target man style front man was surely enough and the likes of Turner looks no better than O'hara who is at least our player.  To win promotion you cant afford to have more than one or perhaps two signings that dont work. 

The budget chat is pointless. We'll no know the truth of that until the accounts are out in what January? Tend to agree with Barnardo though, none of these guys have been signed with a pedigree . I doubt (and hope not) were paying more than we have in recent years for our Houston jobbers. 

If we smash these luvvies on Saturday last weekend will be a distant memory. 

Mon boys..

So do we automatically become title contenders if we win on Saturday?

It's possible we could finish in any one of ten positions come May - regardless of Saturday's result.  I don't think we're any more or less likely to finish bottom half if we lose on Saturday, to be honest. I'll have a better idea after the first round of games.

I’d be surprised (but delighted) that as we have so much to do to get things right on the park if we finished top. Bookies already have dropped us from 10/1 to 12/1.

A win on Saturday could boost confidence and get us going so I do consider it more important than you. But I agree it’s not the end of our playoff hopes should we lose.

I’ve also got a feeling that Thistle will be the big team in or about the relegation playoff slots this season, so despite odds of 3/1 against a win it could be a real opportunity.

21 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

We're still stuck playing Muirhead at right back even though he's signed about 16 players.   Amazes me that signing Tumilty was the first thing he did last season and yet this season its still one of our weakest positions. Areas like that should've been priority and yet we have kidd, sammut, irving, paton and mckee who can all play centre midfield but no new right back.  He keeps on sticking Lewis at left mid where he clearly cant play and Tommy Robson who was one of his best signings last season appears to be totally out of favour and behind Mcghee who has no left foot.  No idea why we signed both Mackin and Haber as one target man style front man was surely enough and the likes of Turner looks no better than O'hara who is at least our player.  To win promotion you cant afford to have more than one or perhaps two signings that dont work. 

This fucking hysteria about Muirhead at RB. He's played one game there when McGhee was at LB for whatever the hell that reason was. I'll be anooyed if it happens against Partick, fully expect McGhee back at RB and Robson at LB.

Lets have one target man, and one fast striker, then hope that noone gets injured or out of form as the season goes on,aye?

4 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Which is fine by me. I don't think any club has been promoted in recent years that took the plodding, safety-first route. I don't want to accept mediocrity. I want to see the club have a real go at promotion then, if it doesn't work out, I'll accept a season spent re-grouping to do it again. 

Falkirk fans on here keep banging on about the safety first route and it sounds like absolute nonsense tbh. 

The first few years after the relegation it was all about living back within your means and getting the club back on a level footing, you managed to do that while still being relatively competitive with a few good cup runs, in the seasons following that in a league with Rangers, Hearts and then Hibs you were again, very competitive. Last year was probably the first year where you realistically were one of the bigger, more favourable sides and it did go horribly wrong, however to say you were safety first and you've had a decade of plodding along is an absolutely wild thing to say. 

4 hours ago, DeeBairn said:

Weve been down here a decade WITH an academy. The days of selling players for a small fortune ended when we joined the forth valley academy. Who was the last academy player we sold for more than buttons anyway?

The one that went to Brentford would've been better than a kick in the dick. 

No one is writing off the season, but it's completely delusional to not have any concerns.

How long do you think Hartley should be given then?

7 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

This fucking hysteria about Muirhead at RB. He's played one game there when McGhee was at LB for whatever the hell that reason was. I'll be anooyed if it happens against Partick, fully expect McGhee back at RB and Robson at LB.

Lets have one target man, and one fast striker, then hope that noone gets injured or out of form as the season goes on,aye?

Even McGhee isnt a proper right back if you ask me as he's pretty restricted going forward and his crossing aint great.  I'd much rather of seen us sign a decent one for a change.  I dont hold out on your optimism that Robson will be back at left back next week. He was on the bench during the league cup games and seems to have fallen right down the pecking order for some strange reason.  You don't always have to play with one big guy and one small guy you know you can play with two small ones if their good enough.

So many people on here I don’t actually consider Falkirk fans as they seem more interested in moaning about how shite the team are than actually looking to back them and actually see them do well. Miserable c***s.

Have you ever actually sat in the stand at a Falkirk game before. Of course we’re all miserable c***s![emoji16]
It doesn’t mean that showing concern or wanting better makes you less of a supporter though. I’d never dream of booing the team off the park. However I don’t think it’s wrong to raise concerns when things could be being done better.