The Falkirk FC Thread

54 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

Just think, one day, mibbae soon, some wee Edinburgh City, Stenny or Dunfermline fan is going to be saying to their da on the way to a game "Is Shepps fit? Please tell me Shepps is playing the day??"

It'll be stenny, they always take out abject failures. 

36 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Cant help feeling he sounds a bit like what we've already got.  Sammut, TOE, Kidd, McKee and Irving. Was hoping for more of an Eddie May , Stuart Taylor like signing thats going to get forward a lot and score some goals. Will be interesting to see how he goes anyway.

Left footed, composed, likes a pass. Not sure he's like any of our midfield, to be fair. 

19 minutes ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

As much as the likes of Shepherd isn't good enough for the Championship some of the slagging on here is unreal.

The boy is still a Falkirk player, have a bit of respect for f**k sake.

He's only a falkirk player because he's refusing to find another club. Couldn't be further from the clubs plans unless we left him in Wales. 

I mean, I get the idea of contracts. But when you have basically been frozen out, if you are co tent as a young player to run your contract down, rather than force a move or take a release, then you'd be as well retiring cause your done already. 

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

Cant help feeling he sounds a bit like what we've already got.  Sammut, TOE, Kidd, McKee and Irving. Was hoping for more of an Eddie May , Stuart Taylor like signing thats going to get forward a lot and score some goals. Will be interesting to see how he goes anyway.

I think TOE will chip in with a decent number of goals this season, looks eager to break forward.

53 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

It'll be stenny, they always take out abject failures. 

Left footed, composed, likes a pass. Not sure he's like any of our midfield, to be fair. 

He's only a falkirk player because he's refusing to find another club. Couldn't be further from the clubs plans unless we left him in Wales. 

Apart from being left footed.  I would say that all our central midfielders apart from paton are composed and like to pass.   A Midfielder who makes late runs into the box and scores goals would've been my preferred option.

15 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

A Midfielder who makes late runs into the box and scores goals would've been my preferred option.

As you haven't seen him play you have no idea whether he does either of those things.

You can't judge him from You Tube clips, given how little they show of a players overall game time. You can't judge him from (for example) a Jambo workmates opinion, because he may be able to score regularly at our level if not the Premiership.

Too many assumptions and too quick to condemn.

1 minute ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

As you haven't seen him play you have no idea whether he does either of those things.

You can't judge him from You Tube clips, given how little they show of a players overall game time. You can't judge him from (for example) a Jambo workmates opinion, because he may be able to score regularly at our level if not the Premiership.

Too many assumptions and too quick to condemn.

I'm not condemning him as I said it will be interesting to see how he goes.  I'm going on what Hearts fans have said about him  so yes that indeed may be a lot of bollocks.  Nothing wrong with a bit of concern over certain signings though .  That doesn't mean to say I'm going to boo the boy on to the pitch though.  I just hope that we aren't falling into the same trap as the last few seasons by signing a number of slow , small , lightweight central midfielders. Only time will tell.

3 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I'm not condemning him as I said it will be interesting to see how he goes.  I'm going on what Hearts fans have said about him  so yes that indeed may be a lot of bollocks.  Nothing wrong with a bit of concern over certain signings though .  That doesn't mean to say I'm going to boo the boy on to the pitch though.  I just hope that we aren't falling into the same trap as the last few seasons by signing a number of slow , small , lightweight central midfielders. Only time will tell.

True, but in these early stages I'd be inclined to trust Hartley simply because he appears to be signing players with the physical attributes we need. 

He's brought in big bruisers for our centre-halfs in Dallison, Harrison & maybe Brough. He's brought in pace for the wingers / wide players in Lewis & Petravicius and I suspect Greenwood too, though I haven't seen enough of him to judge. He's also brought in a physical presence upfront in Haber & Mackin.

True, he hasn't brought in a bruiser for midfield but I'd say Paton has enough physicality to fill the enforcer role. There may even be an argument that the number ten role, which I suspect TOE and Irving will be in competition for, doesn't need pace. Or to be a heavyweight. Sibbald had neither and did well enough and the obvious example of a player with similar attributes would be the little magician.

I think Hartley's a bit more switched on in terms of recruitment than people give him credit for. The question is how many will perform as he expects them to and how  quickly will they gel?

2 hours ago, Rugster said:

Sheps must have some amount of family members registered on here. That or he's got and endless number of hotmail accounts.

It's nothing to do with family members. The guy is clearly a good player(albeit maybe not at this level) as shown last season at Edinburgh City.

It's ridiculous the amount of abuse he gets on here for someone who's played so few first team games. It's out of order IMO, especially for such a young player.   

Would you be quite happy to rip up your contract at work for free? No, you wouldn't. So why should Harris, Shepherd or anyone else?

And no I'm not Scott Shepherd or a relative.

11 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

It’s not so long ago that Lewis Kidd was public enemy number one, and whilst it’s true he’s hardly one of our most popular players he’s managed to play his way into first team contention.
I think McKee and O’Hara have the potential to do the same.
Sadly for Harris and Shepherd I think any hopes of that are long gone....

Kidd looks lost without Sibbald next to him and so far looking like that squad player so far, I think I am correct in saying McKee wasn't given a squad number for the cup games, if I am correct then he obviously is on the naughty step with Sheps and Harris and we won't see him again unless our 4 or 5 centre mids go awol or fail badly.

There is a player in McKee but most Morton fans, if not all got the verdict 100% correct on him after we signed him

2 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

It's nothing to do with family members. The guy is clearly a good player(albeit maybe not at this level) as shown last season at Edinburgh City.

It's ridiculous the amount of abuse he gets on here for someone who's played so few first team games. It's out of order IMO, especially for such a young player.   

Would you be quite happy to rip up your contract at work for free? No, you wouldn't. So why should Harris, Shepherd or anyone else?

Who's abusing him? Saying someone is not good enough and should be moved on is not abusing the person.

Who's asking him to rip up his contract for free? No one that I can see.

8 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

No but if he wants to make it in football he'd be better going somewhere he'll play every week than sitting in front of his playstation every Saturday. He's had more than enough chances to impress and has failed to take any of them. Same with harris. The longer he sits doing hee haw with us the harder its going to be to get a decent team to take a punt on him.

4 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Who's abusing him? Saying someone is not good enough and should be moved on is not abusing the person.

Who's asking him to rip up his contract for free? No one that I can see.

There's barely a page goes by on this thread without Shepherd's name being mentioned usually alongside ridiculous claims about him being 'not good enough for the juniors' or similar. 

The guy will have his pick of league 1 and 2 clubs so there's clearly a player in there. There's no need for the constant abuse from our 'fans'.

There were posts on this thread accusing him and Harris of 'choosing' not to leave. Why should they if they're not being offered suitable compensation by the club? 

True, but in these early stages I'd be inclined to trust Hartley simply because he appears to be signing players with the physical attributes we need. 
He's brought in big bruisers for our centre-halfs in Dallison, Harrison & maybe Brough. He's brought in pace for the wingers / wide players in Lewis & Petravicius and I suspect Greenwood too, though I haven't seen enough of him to judge. He's also brought in a physical presence upfront in Haber & Mackin.
True, he hasn't brought in a bruiser for midfield but I'd say Paton has enough physicality to fill the enforcer role. There may even be an argument that the number ten role, which I suspect TOE and Irving will be in competition for, doesn't need pace. Or to be a heavyweight. Sibbald had neither and did well enough and the obvious example of a player with similar attributes would be the little magician.
I think Hartley's a bit more switched on in terms of recruitment than people give him credit for. The question is how many will perform as he expects them to and how  quickly will they gel?

I agree with much of your post but don’t see the lack of credit you suggest has been given to Hartley. Overwhelming praise on here for his strategy from what I’ve read.

No one's abused him, the only comment has been not good enough for championship level, jees if you rewind a year i spent near 2 months defending Harris on here before being resigned to being proven wrong.

The end of the day there is probably a player in there no one wants anyone to fail although Edibairn your criticism of Hartley is probably as bad as some of the criticism of Sheps and Harris in not being good enough so you cant have it both ways you want people to lay off Sheps and Harris yet are happy to criticise Hartley at any opportunity and even stating he will be gone by November in one post am sure.

4 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

No one's abused him, the only comment has been not good enough for championship level, jees if you rewind a year i spent near 2 months defending Harris on here before being resigned to being proven wrong.

The end of the day there is probably a player in there no one wants anyone to fail although Edibairn your criticism of Hartley is probably as bad as some of the criticism of Sheps and Harris in not being good enough so you cant have it both ways you want people to lay off Sheps and Harris yet are happy to criticise Hartley at any opportunity and even stating he will be gone by November in one post am sure.

The difference is that Hartley is an experienced football manager and player who is directly responsible for the performance of the team. 

Shepherd is a young guy who's barely played for the club.

21 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

There's barely a page goes by on this thread without Shepherd's name being mentioned usually alongside ridiculous claims about him being 'not good enough for the juniors' or similar. 

The guy will have his pick of league 1 and 2 clubs so there's clearly a player in there. There's no need for the constant abuse from our 'fans'.

There were posts on this thread accusing him and Harris of 'choosing' not to leave. Why should they if they're not being offered suitable compensation by the club? 

Saying he's not good enough for the juniors is not abuse. It's saying he's not a good footballer. 

Who has said he chose not to leave?