The Falkirk FC Thread

3 hours ago, bud1876 said:

Going back to the 69-70 season, a few games stick out.... 7-5 v Queen of the South.... this after being 3-0 down within 15 or 20 mins ( nearly missed this game.... my dad was working so couldnt take me...so a neighbour took me ). and 7-0 away to Clydebank.
I checked better meddle for some others.... we scored 94 league goals that season.
Top league scorers were
Tam Young 19
Andy Roxburgh 17
Alex Ferguson 15
Geordie Miller 14.... not bad return for a defender.

George Miller was the best penalty kick taker we have ever had.  Ball went in about 1 foot in from the post, side foot struck with pace about 1 foot in from the post  6 inch above the ground and always ended at the corner of the net support. Everybody knew where it was going but there was nothing any goalie could do about it.  The best left footed played I have seen in a Falkirk top.

Born on this day 

1947 Arnold Schwarzenegger

Austrian/American bodybuilder, actor, politician, 38th Governor of California

Died on this day 

1898 Otto von Bismarck

German politician, 1st Chancellor of the German Empire

Surely a coincidence? 

Regarding Froxy's fitness - I don't think he ever looked fully fit when he was with us. He also spent a hell of a lot of time sidelined with mystery niggles that I always put down to lack of natural fitness.

He's capable of moments of magic but I'm not sure you'll ever get him as fit as others in the squad. Full-time training will obviously help but I just get the impression he's one of these guys who posseses quality and lacks in natural fitness.

I've not had the chance to get to any of the pre-season games, but from what I've seen from the highlights and listening live on Falkirk TV,  Mackin and Sid are looking exciting to me.  I was initially unimpressed by us signing a Livingston cast-off, but Dylan looks like he gives 100% and gets goals too.  The addition of Haber could be the tip of the spear for us this season.  But to be cautious, I was excited about getting Rory back last season and that couldn't have worked out worse.

I'm not sure what's going to happen this season, but you got to give it to Don.  Signing a team and a half during the summer, nearly all who deserve to be in the team every Saturday makes thing exciting.

I'm looking forward to this season a lot more than any other season for a long time.

COYB.

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn

16 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Pretty much the same team that finished strongly last season and 7/1 fourth favourites with the bookies. (We are 10/1).

They had a shite day today but just about everyone on here keeps telling us almost daily that these Betfred games don’t matter so why are we suddenly judging them on today’s result?

I think we’ll be ok on Saturday...although if truth be told I ain’t got a f**king clue how good we are at the moment....

Indeed, going by Believe The Hype's logic, Falkirk will be relegated convincingly.

16 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Pretty much the same team that finished strongly last season and 7/1 fourth favourites with the bookies. (We are 10/1).

They had a shite day today but just about everyone on here keeps telling us almost daily that these Betfred games don’t matter so why are we suddenly judging them on today’s result?

I think we’ll be ok on Saturday...although if truth be told I ain’t got a f**king clue how good we are at the moment....

While it may be pretty much the same team, they haven't came close to replacing Vigurs. 

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Regarding Froxy's fitness - I don't think he ever looked fully fit when he was with us. He also spent a hell of a lot of time sidelined with mystery niggles that I always put down to lack of natural fitness.

He's capable of moments of magic but I'm not sure you'll ever get him as fit as others in the squad. Full-time training will obviously help but I just get the impression he's one of these guys who posseses quality and lacks in natural fitness.

He didn't look wildly pleased to be sitting in the stands on Saturday. 

16 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

George Miller was the best penalty kick taker we have ever had.  Ball went in about 1 foot in from the post, side foot struck with pace about 1 foot in from the post  6 inch above the ground and always ended at the corner of the net support. Everybody knew where it was going but there was nothing any goalie could do about it.  The best left footed played I have seen in a Falkirk top.

I only ever remember him missing one, I think against Dundee Utd, and remember that he slipped just as he hit it.

He didn't look wildly pleased to be sitting in the stands on Saturday. 

Much like when he was left on the bench during our playoff final. Ran up the tunnel mid match never to be seen again. A swift purge of all Dumbarton related content on his Instagram followed not long after, bar the videos of his two wonder goals obviously. I'd have done the same if Danny Handling was being played instead of me tbqhwy.

In all honesty though I did find it quite poor he chose to f**k off midway through such an important match but I can't say he stood out as having a poor attitude prior to that.

17 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

I was not born until 1974 so did not see George Miller strike a penalty.

Been going to games since 1978 and best penalty taker during my time was Tommy McQueen. He was so consistent that you just knew he was going to score. I can’t remember him having a bad game for us either.

Guest Back Post Misses
I was not born until 1974 so did not see George Miller strike a penalty.
Been going to games since 1978 and best penalty taker during my time was Tommy McQueen. He was so consistent that you just knew he was going to score. I can’t remember him having a bad game for us either.

I can. The league cup. 1/4 final at home to Aberdeen the round after we beat the old rangers he had a fucking howler and we got beat 4-1