The Falkirk FC Thread

16 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

Greenwood looked delighted, didn't he? 

You don't usually get much emotion after goals during reserves or U20  games, unless they're scored by a player who don't net very often. That particularly applies during friendlies.

To answer the question someone asked last night, the goals were scored by Greenwood (2), Harris (2) and Jarvis.  

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

It has been said numerous times by PH, The Chairman and CC (when he was talking to the world) that the target was promotion THIS season. All the cost cutting behind the scenes which we haven't heard about (Finance, kitman etc) on top of the academy and under 20 decision was to get as much money as possible for the first team and to stop relying on the opium of selling players.

This strategy is not Hartley's it comes from CC and ML. If it goes wrong they should be in the firing line as much as PH. After all PH is their man and it was their plan.

This is an absolute disgrace, how dare the chairman and board put as much cash as they can into backing the manager and trying to get promoted....

The football side is down to Hartley, just as it was down to Houston before him, Hartley has been backed by the board and the fans, now we have to see if the players he's brought in are good enough. 

Without a crystal ball, what were the board to do? Keep Houston on? Keep the majority of last season's team? Hartley had a reasonable cv and did well last season with us. Bringing so many players in is a gamble but staying loyal to players is a gamble as well as Houston found out. With the exception of throwing man city type cash about there is no magic formula that guarantees success.

11 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

This is an absolute disgrace, how dare the chairman and board put as much cash as they can into backing the manager and trying to get promoted....

The football side is down to Hartley, just as it was down to Houston before him, Hartley has been backed by the board and the fans, now we have to see if the players he's brought in are good enough. 

Without a crystal ball, what were the board to do? Keep Houston on? Keep the majority of last season's team? Hartley had a reasonable cv and did well last season with us. Bringing so many players in is a gamble but staying loyal to players is a gamble as well as Houston found out. With the exception of throwing man city type cash about there is no magic formula that guarantees success.

Far too sensible a post for this time of the morning, how dare you ..lol

Nail on the head as well by the way

Edited by AL-FFC

Hartley’s plan of bringing in young players who perhaps have a point to prove is good management. Most of our rivals have gone for (?like our Peter) tried and tested championship or lower premiership players who know that this is their level and have no aspirations of anything better. When we think of players who stood out for us recently we don’t think of those types we think about Will Vaulks and to a lesser extent Luke Leahy. Both those players came to the club young and with a desire to succeed. I am not saying all of our recruiting will be to Vaulks standard but if even a few are we will do well.we want lads who dream of success not men who are paying off a mortgage

Guest Back Post Misses

I ain’t having a go at anyone. Nothing lost yet nothing gained yet. However if it goes wrong imo more than Hartley will be to blame. It is about opinions

2 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I ain’t having a go at anyone. Nothing lost yet nothing gained yet. However if it goes wrong imo more than Hartley will be to blame. It is about opinions

It went wrong last year and Houston was to blame at the end of the day it stops with the manager, its a results driven game and if the results are poor then theres only one way its going to go but i am more optimistic with the approach Hartley is taking in trying to find someone with the hunger to succeed than do a Dundee Utd/Dunfermline with signing the tried and tested castaways from other clubs in the same league.

25 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Hartley’s plan of bringing in young players who perhaps have a point to prove is good management. Most of our rivals have gone for (?like our Peter) tried and tested championship or lower premiership players who know that this is their level and have no aspirations of anything better. When we think of players who stood out for us recently we don’t think of those types we think about Will Vaulks and to a lesser extent Luke Leahy. Both those players came to the club young and with a desire to succeed. I am not saying all of our recruiting will be to Vaulks standard but if even a few are we will do well.we want lads who dream of success not men who are paying off a mortgage

The only problem is it took how many seasons before leahy and vaulks became first team fixtures? We cant wait that long especially under our current structure of promotion being the one and only goal.  We need results now and that means players hitting the ground running. Only time will tell if the strategy to ditch the academy was the right one. Fingers crossed .

1 minute ago, Back Post Misses said:

I think our new strategy will work in the long term. We won't always have to sign 13/14 players and will be able to really concentrate on quality over quantity from down South.

Not saying it won't work this season but you know what I mean. 

10 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

The only problem is it took how many seasons before leahy and vaulks became first team fixtures? We cant wait that long especially under our current structure of promotion being the one and only goal.  We need results now and that means players hitting the ground running. Only time will tell if the strategy to ditch the academy was the right one. Fingers crossed .

Your going to have to wait till the 4th of August before we start seeing any results :lol:, If we get through the first quarter and things arent working then i will panic a bit, but i dont think things will be anywhere near as bad as last season.

Edited by AL-FFC

Guest Back Post Misses
I think our new strategy will work in the long term. We won't always have to sign 13/14 players and will be able to really concentrate on quality over quantity from down South.
Not saying it won't work this season but you know what I mean. 

Too early IMO to judge either way.

10 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Marcus Haber then...

The exact three words I was away to post. 

Reasonable scoring record at dens, though most of the fans I know don't rate him. Reasonable record and experience. Is this us done for strikers, or is Nelson still inbound? 

Confused. 

Edited by DeeBairn

3 minutes ago, Falkirkfan1985 said:

Looks like we are getting him...Will he actually destroy this division or not? ...cant tell if its sarcasm :unsure:

I dunno, got to be worth a chance though. Reasonable record in the league above us. Physical presence. If we can get Nelson as well, that'll give us Lewis, Nelson, Mackin and Haber. We can use Turner if we need to, but he's shown nothing ronsuggest he'll get a game so far.