The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

I don't see anyone not backing him. Everyone wants him to succeed. Pointing out issues doesn't mean we're not backing him.

You're not allowed to do that. Nothing less than craven, unquestioning, slavish loyalty to "The Don" is required. Otherwise, you're just a quisling booboy.

Guest Back Post Misses
Or maybe, they realise he's had 3 (three) games this season and it's far, far too early to make any kind of judgement?

I ain’t any judgement other than he is short of a couple of offensive players.

There are some on here however who seemed to think we would hoover up young lads from the south who were just not quite good enough down there and they would roll into town and walk this league. May not have been you but I believe some did.

I don't think we'll need to wait for the first quarter to see how it unfolds, we'll know after 5 games, Christ we've already been boooooooed of the park this season already [emoji102]
We cannot afford to be cut adrift of the top 4 at an early stage. A poor first quarter will spell meltdown on here from everyone
Boooooed off the park after 45 mins of our first competative game !!!!

That takes some beating to be honest.

I don't think we'll need to wait for the first quarter to see how it unfolds, we'll know after 5 games, Christ we've already been boooooooed of the park this season already [emoji102]
We cannot afford to be cut adrift of the top 4 at an early stage. A poor first quarter will spell meltdown on here from everyone

First quarter? If we lose the first game against Inverness the usual dribbling morons will be out in force telling us all how shite Hartley and all the new signings are.

Definitely more positives to take from tonight going into the league campaign.

Good solid base at the back now looking hard to break down. With another striker to come in I'm sure we will do just fine. 

I hope we get Nelson in, him and Lewis would be a good pairing with Mackon and Turner as options on the bench (I'd send O'Hara out on loan for 6 months).

I've got a gut feeling things are about to click just in time to play Inverness. :)

1 minute ago, bejazz1 said:

I don't think we'll need to wait for the first quarter to see how it unfolds, we'll know after 5 games, Christ we've already been boooooooed of the park this season already emoji102.png

All depends what people class a poor first quarter. I think a lot of folk are expecting us to batter this league, whereas I'm expecting us to finish Top 4.

1 minute ago, bejazz1 said:

I don't think we'll need to wait for the first quarter to see how it unfolds, we'll know after 5 games, Christ we've already been boooooooed of the park this season already emoji102.png

I said after the Montrose game the first 5 games on the league campaign could be grim.

It's clear on here that our support is split on Hartley.

No matter what side you are on he is our manager and surely to f**k at this stage of the season we have all got to back him and the players.

Said on a previous post, if we are in the crap after the first quarter of games then by all means panic and get on their case but not when a league game hasn't been played and he is still clearly working on formations etc.
I think Hartley did an excellent job last season not easy to turn round a side devoid of ideas and confidence into a side 2nd in the form table for that he rightly deserves enormous credit.

we are all aware that he's completely rebuilt a side and that takes time however that shouldn't stop us asking questions on what we've seen to date. questions like why did we let taiwo go and replace him with Paton? why are we playing brough at left back when we hit form with Robson there last season? why are we now just over a week from the season starting and we still don't have a recognised striker? I could go on but as things stand I think we've gone backwards on the team from the second half of last season possibly foran and dallison aside. as bpm mentioned somewhere tonight I think the last 2 signings are now crucial. due to my first paragraph above i'm happy to continue to back Hartley. we urgently need a good striker though

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

All depends what people class a poor first quarter. I think a lot of folk are expecting us to batter this league, whereas I'm expecting us to finish Top 4.

That's a good point. Personally I want to win the league (obviously). My expectation is that we finish no lower than 3rd. 

Edited by Rugster

Just now, Rugster said:

That's a good point. Personally I want to win the league. My expectation is that we finish no lower than 3rd. 

I want to win the league too, but I think the playoffs would be a good achievement for what would be his first full season.

However, it appears Hartley has almost made us a solid unit which is always the basis of a successful side.

I'd love to share your opinion and optimism.

I don't know how anyone can come to this conclusion. We have lost a goal in every game with the exception of Forfar who should have had the game sewn up at HT at TFS.

We lost another tonight but we know nothing about how good or indeed how bad St Johnstone are this season.

It's the same with the new lad Greenwood... I've never heard of him and I'm sure neither has 99.9% of all the FFC P&B football manager tacticians, yet he finds a place on the park with many of the 'best formations' maestros. [emoji23]

How do we know that he's any better than Harris, Shepherd or even Loy?

I think we presume to much, let's just wait and see what happens regarding an almost solid unit etc.

It's a long session ahead

I've got a feeling we will go 1 down to ICT early doors in the first game, they will boss the first 20 mins and miss a good few chances. We will equalise, click from there on in and win 3-1 and the rest of the season will be a belter [emoji16]

5 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I wasn't there, but from what folk are saying we've learnt what makes a pretty solid defence - one that coped well enough with a Premiership team. To me, that's a plus. What would losing 6-3 have taught us?

The defence part was the only plus point although Borough being the weak link.

St Johnstone were poor, which is the annoying thing that we played into their hands by as good as matching up and repeatedly being wasteful in the last third.

If these are being treated as glorified friendlies, then why not see if our attacking edge is up to scratch instead of playing for a draw and getting a late flurry in the 92nd min.

I said to my mate, Hartley will be judged on league but he isn't whetting anyone's lips so far.

2 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

I think Hartley did an excellent job last season not easy to turn round a side devoid of ideas and confidence into a side 2nd in the form table for that he rightly deserves enormous credit.

we are all aware that he's completely rebuilt a side and that takes time however that shouldn't stop us asking questions on what we've seen to date. questions like why did we let taiwo go and replace him with Paton? why are we playing brough at left back when we hit form with Robson there last season? why are we now just over a week from the season starting and we still don't have a recognised striker? I could go on but as things stand I think we've gone backwards on the team from the second half of last season possibly foran and dallison aside. as bpm mentioned somewhere tonight I think the last 2 signings are now crucial. due to my first paragraph above i'm happy to continue to back Hartley. we urgently need a good striker though

I think we do have good striker, the issue is that none of them can play up front on their own.  Lewis/Mackin or Lewis/Nelson will score goals at championship level when we are getting service from both wings. The thought of Robson overlapping with a winger down the left is tempting.

I was always a massive Tom Taiwo mark but I can completely see why he was punted. His injury record was absolutely terrible and it looked like after the Rangers games last season (where he was horrific) Hartley didn’t really trust anymore and clearly wanted to bring in his own player to play that role. FWIW really don’t understand the stick that Paton has been getting so far. He’s there to do a job and think he’s been perfectly fine so far.

Could Dennon Lewis not potentially be our main striker this season? I do think he still need another striker in as well but don’t understand why he can’t be the ‘recognised striker’ you are talking about.