The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Wasn't there tonight but the 3 games I have seen so far it's clear that neither Mackin, Turner, Lewis or O'Hara look capable of playing up top alone.

Very early days though and it's clear PH is still tinkering and it appears likely another striker will be coming in so not panicking yet.

I agree and from what I have seen I don’t think any of them will get even 15 goals this season.

It’s going to be a very tough league and we need to find our preferred formation, players for each position and quickly.

2 minutes ago, Bofabairn said:

Be interested in anyone posting a positive about hartleys tenure

He inherited the worst squad we'd had in 30 years, at real risk of relegation, with the remit of keeping us in the Championship, and did exactly what he was required to do?

2 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

the naive fuckers backing him to the hilt

Or maybe, they realise he's had 3 (three) games this season and it's far, far too early to make any kind of judgement?

13 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

No one's saying we should have beat them. I thought it would be 3 or 4 to them tbh. The concern is the lack of anything at all going forward for us.

So you’d have been content with a 4-0 defeat provided we’d had a couple of shots on goal?

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

He inherited the worst squad we'd had in 30 years, at real risk of relegation, with the remit of keeping us in the Championship, and did exactly what he was required to do?

It wasn't the worst squad in 30 years by any stretch of the imagination. That's proven by the fact largely the same players finished 2nd 2 years in a row, and every single one has now gone to a team that finished above us last season. 

I'm not saying we should've kept them, but to say it was the worst squad in 30 years is just nonsense.

3 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

It wasn't the worst squad in 30 years by any stretch of the imagination. That's proven by the fact largely the same players finished 2nd 2 years in a row, and every single one has now gone to a team that finished above us last season. 

I'm not saying we should've kept them, but to say it was the worst squad in 30 years is just nonsense.

In my lifetime there have been three dreadful Falkirk squads:

The 'Relegation' season, which had mitigating circumstances of us being financially fucked and having to play kids all season.

The 'Ochilview' season, which had mitigating circumstances of us not knowing what league we were going to be in, severely hampering any pre-season preparations.

Last season, which had no mitigating circumstances whatsoever.

Last season was the worst we have been in 30+ years.

Edited by Gaz

8 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Or maybe, they realise he's had 3 (three) games this season and it's far, far too early to make any kind of judgement?

Glorified friendlies that he already admitted he would be using them to tinker with his team way back at the BTW meet the manager night

19 minutes ago, Gaz said:

An insane amount of our fans seemed to think we should easily beat a Premiership team that finished twelve places above us last season.

Compete and attack a poor St Johnstone side I'd say what the majority would like to see, no point being negative if we are using this competition for trying out players/formations.

I'd rather lose 6-3 than watch us play for a draw if the above is what we are doing. What have we learnt after tonight ?

1 minute ago, MrDust said:

Compete and attack a poor St Johnstone side I'd say what the majority would like to see, no point being negative if we are using this competition for trying out players/formations.

I'd rather lose 6-3 than watch us play for a draw if the above is what we are doing. What have we learnt after tonight ?

I wasn't there, but from what folk are saying we've learnt what makes a pretty solid defence - one that coped well enough with a Premiership team. To me, that's a plus. What would losing 6-3 have taught us?

Edited by Gaz

It's clear on here that our support is split on Hartley.

No matter what side you are on he is our manager and surely to f**k at this stage of the season we have all got to back him and the players.

Said on a previous post, if we are in the crap after the first quarter of games then by all means panic and get on their case but not when a league game hasn't been played and he is still clearly working on formations etc.

1 minute ago, MrDust said:

Four very important things, I'd say.

• Brough is fucking murder
  • We need that left winger fit, pronto
  • Paton is very, very limited and should only be on the pitch if we need two holding players
  • And we simply cannot play one up front.

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

I wasn't there, but from what folk are saying we've learnt what makes a pretty solid defence - one that coped well enough with a Premiership team. To me, that's a plus.

Worth bearing in mind our attack features two brand new players finding their feet, with the lone striker not fully fit, and Liam Craig as a winger. 

We're not even close to being up to speed in attack yet. 

1 minute ago, Harry Kinnear said:

No matter what side you are on he is our manager and surely to f**k at this stage of the season we have all got to back him and the players.

Said on a previous post, if we are in the crap after the first quarter of games then by all means panic and get on their case but not when a league game hasn't been played and he is still clearly working on formations etc.

Totally agree

1 minute ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I don't see anyone not backing him. Everyone wants him to succeed. Pointing out issues doesn't mean we're not backing him.

I don't think we'll need to wait for the first quarter to see how it unfolds, we'll know after 5 games, Christ we've already been boooooooed of the park this season already [emoji102]
We cannot afford to be cut adrift of the top 4 at an early stage. A poor first quarter will spell meltdown on here from everyone