The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

You may be correct but I felt it was of interest to see how one of our competitors competed against a higher league side.

For what it’s worth they played a 532 formation against which Dundee made no impression.

Craigen and Hippo looked good but Louis Longridge was anonymous.

Their wingbacks Longridge and Williamson were excellent and, as mentioned earlier their defence were never troubled.

Good reasonable post. 

11 hours ago, Senor Bairn said:

Who gives a flying f**k :lol:

All us Pars fans for a start.

Then I suppose both Dundee teams will give a flying f**k for different reasons. Also, any team that fancies their chances of winning second place in group D will likely give a flying f**k too. 

Hope that helps, Senor Bairn? No need to thank me. :angel

Then I suppose both Dundee teams will give a flying f**k for different reasons. Also, any team that fancies their chances of winning second place in group D will likely give a flying f**k too. 

Cool bro, nobody here does though x

1 hour ago, P475 said:

Have you mentioned this on the Huddersfield thread?

1 hour ago, Senor Bairn said:

Cool bro, nobody here does though x

Ah  c'mon now. You obviously give enough of a f**k to keep going on about it. 

56 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Have you mentioned this on the Huddersfield thread?

No!

Why do you ask? 

People still taking these games seriously for fecks sake? Last two seasons are classic examples of why they cant be used as a marker for how the coming season will end up. Lost to Stirling albion one season and we ended up 2nd beat everyone easily and we came 8th.  Roll on the ICT game so we can get the serious stuff going .

Just now, Shodwall cat said:

People still taking these games seriously for fecks sake? Last two seasons are classic examples of why they cant be used as a marker for how the coming season will end up. Lost to Stirling albion one season and we ended up 2nd beat everyone easily and we came 8th.  Roll on the ICT game so we can get the serious stuff going .

Exactly, we need a proper league pumping that we can get outraged about. 

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

It's also easy for fans of teams not doing so well to belittle this tournament, or say it's an important preseason team building exercise when they are in the running to progress. Then there's the teams that are winning their group, those fans want their team to progress further, and the more they do, the more those fans take it seriously. 

True story by the way. 

13 minutes ago, P475 said:

It's also easy for fans of teams not doing so well to belittle this tournament, or say it's an important preseason team building exercise when they are in the running to progress. Then there's the teams that are winning their group, those fans want their team to progress further, and the more they do, the more those fans take it seriously. 

True story by the way. 

Not saying that you are missing the point but you are missing the point here. It's not whether teams and fans are taking the competition seriously, It's the fact that the competition can't really be used as a reliable indicator for the league season. 

10 minutes ago, P475 said:

True story by the way. 

Shodwall is right for once. It's by no means and indication if anything to come, in anyway shape or form. I mean you lot are having a group w**k over beating a very poor Dundee team, and they seem to be trying to console themselves with the rediculous claim that it's because you are going to win the league. 

End of, it'd be nice to progress. It would. Same goes for any cup, with the exception of whatever the challenge cup is theses days. However, given how important this league season will be for the club, and with all the player changes, all I'm really looking for is an ongoing improvement as the games continue, leading up to the Inverness game. Certainly don't want my season to peak with a win over Dundee. 

3 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

Not saying that you are missing the point but you are missing the point here. It's not whether teams and fans are taking the competition seriously, It's the fact that the competition can't really be used as a reliable indicator for the league season. 

True enough. We got knocked out this tournament last season, then went on to finish way higher in the league than one of the teams that beat us. 

Edited by P475

3 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

Shodwall is right for once. It's by no means and indication if anything to come, in anyway shape or form. I mean you lot are having a group w**k over beating a very poor Dundee team, and they seem to be trying to console themselves with the rediculous claim that it's because you are going to win the league. 

End of, it'd be nice to progress. It would. Same goes for any cup, with the exception of whatever the challenge cup is theses days. However, given how important this league season will be for the club, and with all the player changes, all I'm really looking for is an ongoing improvement as the games continue, leading up to the Inverness game. Certainly don't want my season to peak with a win over Dundee. 

Only time will tell if we've peaked, I think we will get way better but, again, only time will tell. 

19 minutes ago, P475 said:

True enough. We got knocked out this tournament last season, then went on to finish way higher in the league than one of the teams that beat us. 

And we went the whole group campaign conceding only one goal last year and look at how shite our season panned out. So I'd say we are well within our right to not pin the prospects of the rest of our season on some 'competitive friendlies' . If we go through, smashing, if we don't, meh. I was a victim of our success at this stage last year, bit of friendly advice, don't take too much from these games regardless of results. 

30 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

Correct. Teams are playing vastly different sides and using different  tactics every match and new players are coming in and going out by the week.   You obviously want your team to win but I wouldnt get carried away with any results or give up the ghost either.  We matched a full strength Aberdeen a few weeks back and then got beat by Montrose at home.  Teams are still working out their best 11 and players are still trying to get fully fit. If you get through its a bonus but I'd rather pump ICT on the 4th than qualify to be honest.

I agree we shouldn’t take too much from these games (as per last years experience) but this year is entirely different in that the pre-season PR and hype generated by the Club has been phenomenal. I mean that in a good way as it has generated great enthusiasm for the purchase of ST’s.

we have all been going mental about the new signings and probably the level of expectation reached too high a level

Ihave only seen the Airdrie and Montrose games and tbh I have been a little underwhelmed by the standard of the new arrivals.

i agree it is early days and the only true test will be on 4th August against ICT.

it is still worth while monitoring our challengers and I was impressed with the defence and midfield of Dunfermline but NOT their strike force.

Time will tell!!

BTW, as a new contributor I have been unimpressed with the standard of posts on here.

I rather expected better but hey ho!!

Just now, Dawson Park Boy said:

I agree we shouldn’t take too much from these games (as per last years experience) but this year is entirely different in that the pre-season PR and hype generated by the Club has been phenomenal. I mean that in a good way as it has generated great enthusiasm for the purchase of ST’s.

we have all been going mental about the new signings and probably the level of expectation reached too high a level

Ihave only seen the Airdrie and Montrose games and tbh I have been a little underwhelmed by the standard of the new arrivals.

i agree it is early days and the only true test will be on 4th August against ICT.

it is still worth while monitoring our challengers and I was impressed with the defence and midfield of Dunfermline but NOT their strike force.

Time will tell!!

BTW, as a new contributor I have been unimpressed with the standard of posts on here.

I rather expected better but hey ho!!

The standard of you're trolling is dreadful. So obvious you don't support Falkirk!