The Falkirk FC Thread

54 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

If this was Championship Manager 2001/02 that formation would be perfect.

Unfortunately it’s not and it’s real life. 

Given that that is the exact same if not very similar to the formation that we played after Hartley got his team sorted in January it's not that unrealistic..

10 minutes ago, PG.Colossus said:

IMG_6047.jpg

I'm assuming that Harrison as a holding midfielder was a mix up with names?

Hmm that fecks my team up then I thought he could play on the left wing, that's a shame I was liking the thought of Lewis on the left and Petracivius on the right with their pace. 
So who can actually play on the left? Robson and Brough? I'm still confused with the balance of the team, Petracivius seems an out and out right winger but I'm not sure we are going to play with wingers and if we do then we will be badly lacking on the left. 
Not trying to be negative just trying to understand how Hartley sees us playing with the players he has signed up. 

Nothing to be negative about, if we are playing with a left winger, we haven’t got a natural there. That doesn’t mean other players couldn’t play out there. If he wants to play that shape, I would rather he signed a natural in that position.

I think the squad is suited more to a 3-5-2/5-3-2, but we are short of a natural right wing back as well. I think McGhee is wasted there.

We have four strikers on the books currently (5 including Shepherd) and feel one up front of wastes that.

We had relative joy from Hartleys 3-5-2 last year with Nelson and Jak up top, if you had Longridge in behind them you could see Froxy there replacing him.

The fact most posters have different teams speaks volumes for what Hartley is trying to work out going forward.

Pretty obvious from Saturday that Paton and Sammut can't be in the same team.

Sammut looked lost in the first half. I reckon this was down to him not being able to drop back and dictate play.

I like Paton but would have Sammut's energy (and inevitable ability) in there everyday of the week.

3 minutes ago, Trump said:

Nothing to be negative about, if we are playing with a left winger, we haven’t got a natural there. That doesn’t mean other players couldn’t play out there. If he wants to play that shape, I would rather he signed a natural in that position.

I think the squad is suited more to a 3-5-2/5-3-2, but we are short of a natural right wing back as well. I think McGhee is wasted there.

We have four strikers on the books currently (5 including Shepherd) and feel one up front of wastes that.

We had relative joy from Hartleys 3-5-2 last year with Nelson and Jak up top, if you had Longridge in behind them you could see Froxy there replacing him.

The fact most posters have different teams speaks volumes for what Hartley is trying to work out going forward.

To be fair Harley has always said he wants to sign players that can play in more than 1 position so that's maybe why none of us can work out his team so far.

Wouldn't surprise me if Petracivius was tried at RWB at some point. It seems to be the in thing now to play more attacking player in that position, especially if Sammut and Paton started in the middle of the park. 

35 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

Fasan

McGhee  Harrison Dallison Robson

Sammut Owen-Edwards

Petravicius Froxylius Lewis

Macklin

With Sammut sitting a bit deeper than Owen-Edwards.

Is he a trialist?

I'm assuming that Harrison as a holding midfielder was a mix up with names?

I'd give Harrison a go there against lower opposition as a Simon Mensing type 'destroyer'. Lack of any pace in there could backfire but worth a go whilst we're still experimenting with the line-up.

Another go. No idea if Petra can play RWB as he possibly can't defend for toffee but as lng as him and Robson didn't both go attacking at the same time and the likes of Paton and Sammut know when to provide defensive cover then that could work. 

I'm quite enjoying trying to work out our team here :lol:

lineup (3).png

Edited by Falkirk_Bairn_1983

Let's forget about wing backs, we don't have any. Four at the back, solid base. Holding midfielder in front of that. 

Everything else is paddling around the edges. Another central mid. 

Two strikers limits the other midfield options, so Maklin up from for me with support from Petra, Lewis and Froxy. 

Ideal time tonight to try it out. 

We need a solid base to build on and forcing people into playing wing back won't work. Especially when McGhee should be a starting centre half and Muirhead can't pass. 

Let's forget about wing backs, we don't have any. Four at the back, solid base. Holding midfielder in front of that. 

Two strikers limits the other midfield options, so Maklin up from for me with support from Petra, Lewis and Froxy. 

We need a solid base to build on and forcing people into playing wing back won't work. Especially when McGhee should be a starting centre half and Muirhead can't pass. 

What would you class Robson as? We have as many wing backs as we do wingers. Effectively in your team you’re playing two strikers anyway, just one out on the left.

Forcing someone to play wing back has nothing to do with having a solid base. Effectively it’s even more solid by having another centre back in there, arguably.

And it’s Mackin, not Macklin, sorry.

4 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

So who do we play at RB in your system?

Sammut looked lost in the first half. I reckon this was down to him not being able to drop back and dictate play.

I like Paton but would have Sammut's energy (and inevitable ability) in there everyday of the week.

How is that obvious? It’s one game :lol:

34 minutes ago, PG.Colossus said:

I'd give Harrison a go there against lower opposition as a Simon Mensing type 'destroyer'. Lack of any pace in there could backfire but worth a go whilst we're still experimenting with the line-up.

Isn't that what Paton is there for? 

29 minutes ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

So who do we play at RB in your system?

Muirhead, less need to run and he doesn't have to cross the ball. Not ideal, but better than chucking him in as a wing back. 

1 hour ago, Beaver The Bairn said:

I'd guess both will play tonight, one game doesn't mean it can't or won't work but it will be the usual 8-10 or more games afore a manager changes it.

See Pressley with Bob and Millar