The Falkirk FC Thread

On 31/05/2018 at 15:18, Super Tuesday said:

Thats a lot to bring in for a spine of a team in one go, and more so get right.

It was a bit obvious to  state this back in May.

Not a surprise the reality of it in one competitive match has taken the usual reactors in the support to start getting on the teams back even after 45mins.

I can’t bare to look on the Facebook page, there must be a few trying to cut up their cards already I’m guessing.

5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Mackin got 8 for Livi last season (and 1 for Brechin) but the only one against a full time side was against us last September. He's not good enough to be first choice for a promotion chasing Championship side which is why Livi got shot of him. If he's going to be a 20 minute option that's fair enough but if that's all you want Miller would have done it better and his legs wouldn't be an issue. I don't suppose Livi will be too concerned if he doesn't kick a ball for them this season and I doubt he'll be their main striker given Hardie is there and Miller will play at least some of the games. He accomplished what they wanted out of him.

I expect Shodwell is correct that Miller had to go due to his relationship with Hartley / need to get big egos out of the dressing room, whatever.

Miller was a perfect foil for Hardie. 

Mackin isn’t going to start many games.  While the general consensus is Miller is the better player, if he and the manager lock horns, there is usually only one outcome.

We are probably going to be ok (eventually) at the back and in midfield, but the jigsaw looks far from complete on the goalscorer front. We can’t afford to go into the league campaign like this, and tbh, I don’t think we will.

16 hours ago, Jimmy Baker said:

Struggling to excuse getting whacked from a part time team who have just been promoted from the bottom tier of Scottish football...and failing

Its not an excuse but a huge factor in having 9 new players, we were more effective with sub's and perhaps the wrong 11 started but that's what happens when you have 3 weeks to prepare and playing a team who has a winning mentality and continuity in their team 

16 hours ago, PB1994 said:

We took 14 games to gel last season with a totally different team.

Personally, I hope it takes you that long this season as that is what totally messed up our chances of finishing in the top 4

Guessing you mean ICT, relegated teams generally suffer a hangover and have that losing mentality from previous season, there also was uncertainty over some ICT players that were under contract

12 hours ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

Sammut did bugger all, he passed square or backwards, you'd expect a Chelsea Prospect to dictate play against Montrose, he didnt

I thought it was either Sammut or Paton not both for me.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Paper talk today is Dundee United are letting Keatings leave. If we could get him in plus one other up front that would put us in a much better position. 

Too injury prone

Don't understand the criticism of Maklin for not scoring more against dull time teams. Yes, it would be nice if he could do more, but how many of those games would Livi have lost or drawn if he hadn't scored? 

Glorified friendly but that was pish. Had Lewis’ strike went in it could’ve been and probably would have been a completely different game. Everyone looked like they were terrified to make a mistake. Muirhead my mom

The Montrose keeper pulled off a few of good saves with his legs at one on ones and Falkirk hit the bar. It wasn’t as if falkirk never created anything.

I think so sometimes English lower league players come to Scotland and think they will completely stroll it, hopefully this will be a wake up call.

I think we need to be realistic here. Yes, it’s very disappointing to lose to a team like Montrose. No disrespect but we should be beating the in any form of match. However we need to take into account we have a brand new squad/team and it takes any team time to gel. Let’s show a little patience eh ?

What does worry me is that we have all these new players yet our coaching team still seem unsure of playing positions or formation. We are still woefully short of a striker.

Time will tell but let’s all try and be positive and stay behind the team.

COYB.

10 minutes ago, ka202 said:

The Montrose keeper pulled off a few of good saves with his legs at one on ones and Falkirk hit the bar. It wasn’t as if falkirk never created anything.

I think so sometimes English lower league players come to Scotland and think they will completely stroll it, hopefully this will be a wake up call.

The Montrose keeper Fleming was terrific for them against us last season. We played them three times and never had an easy game. We beat them 3-1 in extra time in the Irn Bru Cup but it took a Dobbie special from 25 yards in the 88th minute to get us into extra time in the first place. In the Scottish Cup we ground out a 0-0 up there and edged them 2-1 at home. They are a really decent side to be fair and may shock a few in League 1 this season.

Guest Back Post Misses

It was always going to be the case that all the signings would not work out. It is very early however to judge anyone properly IMO

I see the Yak scored twice for Watford U23’s. I guess we can say goodbye to him coming back.
People need to think that he's not coming back. If it happens then brilliant but I think we're going to have a lot of dissapointed fans of he doesnt

People need to think that he's not coming back. If it happens then brilliant but I think we're going to have a lot of dissapointed fans of he doesnt

Perhaps so, but if that is the case it does not appear that we will make much impact in front of goal with what we have.
We were being warned last year that Hartley’s signing record was mixed. That’s probably not a surprise as it’s probably the same for most managers, but it is a concern if you are also reducing the first team squad size at the same time and therefore limiting your options.

I'd be looking to move out Harris, McKee and Shepherd as soon as possible, as they're clearly not part of the plans. I'd also look to get O'Hara out on loan as he's unfortunately just nowhere near good enough. 

That should then free up wages to get some quality and experience in upfront.

1 minute ago, EdiBairn said:

I'd be looking to move out Harris, McKee and Shepherd as soon as possible, as they're clearly not part of the plans. I'd also look to get O'Hara out on loan as he's unfortunately just nowhere near good enough. 

Not a lot of folk would call for themselves to be sacked, fair play.

Why would they put O'Hara out on loan. He's only on a 1 year deal so makes more sense for the club to keep him in case he's needed rather than put him out on loan

2 minutes ago, Rocco said:
9 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

Why would they put O'Hara out on loan. He's only on a 1 year deal so makes more sense for the club to keep him in case he's needed rather than put him out on loan

Because we have 4 strikers already, so one most likely has to go to bring in another if we're going to have a smaller squad this year.

Unfortunately O'Hara showed again yesterday why he lacks the quality and ability required to play at this level. 

1 hour ago, ka202 said:

Glorified friendly but that was pish. Had Lewis’ strike went in it could’ve been and probably would have been a completely different game. Everyone looked like they were terrified to make a mistake. Muirhead my mom

Surprised you can remember any of it!