The Falkirk FC Thread

Muirhead is muirhead.  Is he good enough for this level? Yes. Is he good enough to get us promoted? Not convinced. Its going to be a far tougher league this season and we're going to need 11 top players plus to win it. Muirhead for me is a decent squad player but I'd be concerned if we saw him as a starter every week.

based purely on what I've seen last 2 games I'd start with

fasan
McGhee M'head dallison robson
sammut
petravious toe
froxy
Lewis Mackin

I think Muirhead and McGhee can swap but happy with both in either way. froxy did enough for me in a shorter cameo to merit a start too in the no10 sibbald role

10 hours ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

Sammut did bugger all, he passed square or backwards, you'd expect a Chelsea Prospect to dictate play against Montrose, he didnt

Mackin is better than Jordan White? now that's a debate.  At first look I think I'd prefer Big Katie back - Mackin is so slow and out of shape. 

Mackin was a very strange signing. I don't know anything much about your other signings (apart from Froxylias and I suppose Paton but it's a few years since I saw him) but we saw plenty of Mackin last season for Livi and Brechin and indeed he played against us forLivi last week just before you signed him.  He's a carthorse of a player. He's not useless. He's powerful in the air, physical and if you play to a certain style then he'll grab a few goals. But it's not the way you generally play and you had Lee Miller already who did that and got rid of him. He's a definite downgrade on Miller. Granted he's probably earning considerably less but effectively swapping Mackin for Miller is bizarre in football terms and Livi are laughing all the way to the Premiership about it.

Muirhead's positioning for the Montrose goal was piss poor, but taking that away he was probably the best CB yesterday always stepping out from the back and actually trying to play the ball forward. He's just an easy target and to be totally honest if I was choosing the team based on yesterday he'd be one of  the if not the first name on the sheet.

He’s worked pretty hard to cultivate his easy target status to be fair and has done for a few seasons now. Whilst people are quick to judge others, surely there enough evidence to make a judgement on him?

Agreed he was not the worst performer yesterday though but that bar was pretty low. He not good enough for what we want to achieve in my opinion, a squad player at best and that is me being generous. I certainly don’t hate him, in fact I enjoy his wee pre penalty kick taking swagger but he is not what I want to see as club captain but I have to keep telling myself ‘in Hartley we trust’.

But please Mr Don Paul, sign a right back, please!Just sign a right back.

PS - don’t pass to Harris

18 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Mackin was a very strange signing. I don't know anything much about your other signings (apart from Froxylias and I suppose Paton but it's a few years since I saw him) but we saw plenty of Mackin last season for Livi and Brechin and indeed he played against us forLivi last week just before you signed him.  He's a carthorse of a player. He's not useless. He's powerful in the air, physical and if you play to a certain style then he'll grab a few goals. But it's not the way you generally play and you had Lee Miller already who did that and got rid of him. He's a definite downgrade on Miller. Granted he's probably earning considerably less but effectively swapping Mackin for Miller is bizarre in football terms and Livi are laughing all the way to the Premiership about it.

Miller left due to his inability to get on with hartley its as simple as that. Hes also not got long left in his legs. He'll never last a full top flight season for instance. Mackin has been signed as an option. No point in having 4 or 5 strikers all the same. U need someone to come on and change things about if plan a aint working. Whether he'll do i dont know yet but he obviously fitted the bill of a younger cheaper and different option to add to the squad. Add to that the fact that gordon young would know all about him from his motherwell days and its not really that strange a signing.

Edited by Shodwall cat

There's a feature on Lee Miller in today's Sunday Mail where he talks about the circumstances of his (and Kerr's) departure from the Club and being labelled as disruptive influences.  Going by the article he still has a lot of time for Falkirk FC. and how he had hoped to carry on in some coaching capacity. 

Its a strange signing for Livi. They dumped a young that had scored 7 goals in half a season and replaced with an old guy that scored 2 in half a season. 

As said above, he won play a full season. And all though he's experienced at that level, it's mainly experience of being bang average. 

Hell get maybe 8 goals all season. I'll agree with one thing though, taking Miller back to the Premiership as a main striker is hilarious. 

The hate for Muirhead is ridiculous. What did he do wrong yesterday? I honestly think McGhee is a better option at right back this year than centre half.

Petra is a winger not a wing back. That lineup would fail before the game even started

I'm an Aero fan but I'm pretty sure he was positionally in the wrong for the goal and almost conceded a similar chance in the second half. If we're playing 4 at the back then there's no place for him as McGhee and Dallison should be first choice.

6 minutes ago, PG.Colossus said:

I'm an Aero fan but I'm pretty sure he was positionally in the wrong for the goal and almost conceded a similar chance in the second half. If we're playing 4 at the back then there's no place for him as McGhee and Dallison should be first choice.

There might not be a space for him in the bench unless it's as stand in right back. 

In my opinion the initial error for the goal came from no pressure from Brough to cut out the play from the Montrose right hand side

he appears to lack energy and legs

granted the ball inside has caught Harrison for pace and No real cover

i thought both Muirhead and McGhee done well 

The hate for Muirhead is ridiculous. What did he do wrong yesterday? I honestly think McGhee is a better option at right back this year than centre half.

Petra is a winger not a wing back. That lineup would fail before the game even started

Neither are a right back that’s the problem. I don’t hate Muirhead I would just like to see that back 3 with Robson and a right wing back in place to stretch the play and allow Froxy more space.

Guest Back Post Misses

It was always going to be the case that all the signings would not work out. It is very early however to judge anyone properly IMO

Neither are a right back that’s the problem. I don’t hate Muirhead I would just like to see that back 3 with Robson and a right wing back in place to stretch the play and allow Froxy more space.
I don't think McGhee looks out of place at RB though but your right that he is more suited to CB.

When we signed Petra I thought Hartley may have tried to convert him to a rwb due to his pace but considering he never tried it in the friendlies I can't see it happening now. If Brough comes good you could always play Robson or Brough at rwb.

P.s. just to put things into perspective Dundee utd were beaten by Arbroath yesterday

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

Miller left due to his inability to get on with hartley its as simple as that. Hes also not got long left in his legs. He'll never last a full top flight season for instance. Mackin has been signed as an option. No point in having 4 or 5 strikers all the same. U need someone to come on and change things about if plan a aint working. Whether he'll do i dont know yet but he obviously fitted the bill of a younger cheaper and different option to add to the squad. Add to that the fact that gordon young would know all about him from his motherwell days and its not really that strange a signing.

1 hour ago, DeeBairn said:

Its a strange signing for Livi. They dumped a young that had scored 7 goals in half a season and replaced with an old guy that scored 2 in half a season.

As said above, he won play a full season. And all though he's experienced at that level, it's mainly experience of being bang average.

Hell get maybe 8 goals all season. I'll agree with one thing though, taking Miller back to the Premiership as a main striker is hilarious.

Mackin got 8 for Livi last season (and 1 for Brechin) but the only one against a full time side was against us last September. He's not good enough to be first choice for a promotion chasing Championship side which is why Livi got shot of him. If he's going to be a 20 minute option that's fair enough but if that's all you want Miller would have done it better and his legs wouldn't be an issue. I don't suppose Livi will be too concerned if he doesn't kick a ball for them this season and I doubt he'll be their main striker given Hardie is there and Miller will play at least some of the games. He accomplished what they wanted out of him.

I expect Shodwell is correct that Miller had to go due to his relationship with Hartley / need to get big egos out of the dressing room, whatever.