The Falkirk FC Thread

The new central defenders look decent but by god the midfield is an absolute shambles. Sammut and Paton look like they have no idea where to play when both on the park and genuinely had me questioning whether either is an upgrade on what we had. I don't see much in Paton that wasn't already offered by Taiwo and Sammut did a fairly good impression of an uninterested Joe McKee from last season. Pre-season i'd say kidd has looked most solid in terms of our midfielders. For me, Hartley still hasn't got the drive through the middle that left with Vaulks. I realise that's pretty much the one player that every team needs, and they are rare to find for no cash, but I think we are gonna struggle on that evidence. Mackin, Lewis, Turner - haven't a clue if any will be any good. They all failed to register against Montrose though and that's not a good sign. I'll give O'Hara the benefit of the doubt as he at least looked like scoring and got into decent positions but his finishing really needs to get more consistent.

Whilst you can use the excuse that we need to gel as a team was a bit disappointed that noone really stood out on an individual basis. Midfield seemed similar to the boys we've been lumped with since vaulks and alston left. No real drive or pace. Not big enough to dominate in the air and paton apart too easily brushed off the ball. Still problems in the usual positions of right back and left wing. Two areas to me that we should have been prioritising this close season.  Petra looks like the one player with real pace but he needs to get his head up when he has the ball.  Big mackin is probably an ok option up front but i wouldnt want to rely on him for 15 to 20 goals a season.  Needs support anyway. No point sticking him up top with  lewis stuck out on the left wing a mile away.  Harrison looked solid but a bit slow. Need to play him beside someone with good pace.  Hopefully when dallison is fit muirhead will get punted to the bench.  More struggles for o'hara whose finishing just isnt good enough. To me we still need a left sided player, a right back, and at least one striker whose going to get us at least 15 goals next season. Id also like to see someone in the middle who can create more . Might be froxy but would need to see a lot more of him. Lot of work to do to get it right for ict.

Oaft it's even worse this morning, should we just take 8th the now?

It appears we played badly yesterday and lost to a lower division side. I don’t quite get why some on here expect a positive match review or that there should be no concern whatsoever?
If we win on Tuesday, I am sure the reviews will keep the unconcerned happy....

11 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

It appears we played badly yesterday and lost to a lower division side. I don’t quite get why some on here expect a positive match review or that there should be no concern whatsoever?
If we win on Tuesday, I am sure the reviews will keep the unconcerned happy....

conceded a sloppy goal but controlled the game just lacked any cutting edge up front. I am not expecting glowing reports no but their is some people writing of players after one appearance in a diddy cup? Sammut is a bad McKee apparently, and Turner is just a waste of a wage. One fucking game.

conceded a sloppy goal but controlled the game just lacked any cutting edge up front. I am not expecting glowing reports no but their is some people writing of players after one appearance in a diddy cup? Sammut is a bad McKee apparently, and Turner is just a waste of a wage. One fucking game.

Agree. We should not be writing anyone off at this point but as I wasn’t there, it’s interesting to understand who stood out and who underperformed....

10 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Agree. We should not be writing anyone off at this point but as I wasn’t there, it’s interesting to understand who stood out and who underperformed....

Noone really stood out. Didnt leave the ground thinking feck me hes a baller about any of them unfortunately. 

Edited by Shodwall cat

4 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

the league cup is not a diddy cup. it's not a friendly or the challenge cup it's one of the 3 major trophies we can ever win and in over 30 years going to the games ive never seen us win a major trophy. I'd give my right arm to see us win it.

3/4 games against lower league teams during the transfer window and pre season is the absolute definition of a diddy cup. Maybe the later rounds gets a bit competitive but in these rounds no one is bothered their arse.

3 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:
6 minutes ago, FalkirkLad said:
3/4 games against lower league teams during the transfer window and pre season is the absolute definition of a diddy cup. Maybe the later rounds gets a bit competitive but in these rounds no one is bothered their arse.

you need to win these games to get to the later rounds.

cheers for that one, honestly didn't know.

I thought Mackin and Lewis were too far apart at times yesterday. Mackin looks capable of winning the ball in the air but needs someone closer to him. The understanding between them wasn't there but that could come with games.

On the basis of the games i've seen, a friendly against Airdrie and yesterday I don't feel in a position to say whether any of the players are shite or brilliant.

They need time, as does Hartley to decide on his best 11, formation etc.

I still think we need another forward player and Robson is better at left back as Brough looked out of position yesterday.

For Tuesday get Robson in for Muirhead.

Back 3 of McGhee, Harrison and Dallison.

Robson and Petra was wing backs with Paton Sammut in the middle.

Froxy in behind Lewis and Mackin.

The hate for Muirhead is ridiculous. What did he do wrong yesterday? I honestly think McGhee is a better option at right back this year than centre half.

Petra is a winger not a wing back. That lineup would fail before the game even started

I would bring Robson in for Brough. Tell Lewis and Mackin they need to get closer. McGhee looked really decent for me yesterday at right back.

I would start Froxy and sacrifice either TOE or Sammut for Tuesday night.

The real issue for me is who to drop to get Dallison into the team if he is fit. I don't think Harrison or Muirhead done much wrong but Dallison has looked the best of the signings so far and has to play for me.

Is that cause you’ve won it four times? Bet you never celebrated any of those occasions. Much.

Brazil are much the same about the World Cup these days, and Italy can’t even be arsed with the qualifying.

Ehhhhh try again and this time don’t make a c**t of it x

I would bring Robson in for Brough. Tell Lewis and Mackin they need to get closer. McGhee looked really decent for me yesterday at right back.

I would start Froxy and sacrifice either TOE or Sammut for Tuesday night.

The real issue for me is who to drop to get Dallison into the team if he is fit. I don't think Harrison or Muirhead done much wrong but Dallison has looked the best of the signings so far and has to play for me.
I agree with all of this. we definitely need to get dallison if fit again and Robson back in the team. Robson is very much in the Leahy mould for me good engine very competitive tenacious doesn't like to lose

Muirhead's positioning for the Montrose goal was piss poor, but taking that away he was probably the best CB yesterday always stepping out from the back and actually trying to play the ball forward. He's just an easy target and to be totally honest if I was choosing the team based on yesterday he'd be one of  the if not the first name on the sheet.