The Falkirk FC Thread

It is far too early to write off an entire season on the basis of one game but I don't think that's what people are doing.

All people are doing is pointing out weaknesses which have become appparent over the course of the last 6 games I.e we have no presence up front. These weaknesses are not going to exist for pre-season and then suddenly disappear as soon as league football begins, so it's perfectly reasonable to point them out.

Analysing a performance is not knicker wetting.

I also agree with the earlier points about Paton. He's a slower and older version of Tom Taiwo so I'm not really sure how he represents an upgrade.

Edited by EdiBairn

This has been some read. I remember 2 seasons ago we lost 1-0 to Stirling Albion in the first game of this cup, then went on to have a good season. I’m not too fussed tbh, the players are still getting to know each other, as long as we’re firing from all cylinders come the ICT game I couldn’t give a flying f**k how we do in this cup.

Is that cause you’ve won it four times? Bet you never celebrated any of those occasions. Much.

Brazil are much the same about the World Cup these days, and Italy can’t even be arsed with the qualifying.

Using the knicker wetter guide to football, it looks like ourselves, united (0-0 with Arbroath) and Morton (beat by ayr) will be fighting relegation this season. In England Liverpool will go down as they could only draw with bury and everton will win the premiership next season because they won 22-0 today....

1 hour ago, wee_bairn said:

I’d tend to disagree with Sammut. I thought he looked a class act. He reads the game so naturally and is always a step ahead of everyone else. What he lacks in, obviously, is experience. He’s a sitting midfielder who will spread the play and keep the ball moving; I’m not quite sure what you expected from him? He constantly looked for the ball and never gave it away until he tired late into the second half.

Everyone needs to chill the f**k out. You can’t sign a full team and expect them to click instantly. We demolished sides last season in this tournament then went onto a shambles of a season. Yes it wasn’t great today but ffs, none of the signings looked of a John Stewart/Jordan White standard. Give them time.

Sammut did bugger all, he passed square or backwards, you'd expect a Chelsea Prospect to dictate play against Montrose, he didnt

Mackin is better than Jordan White? now that's a debate.  At first look I think I'd prefer Big Katie back - Mackin is so slow and out of shape. 

1 hour ago, Black and White Tragic said:

Is that cause you’ve won it four times? Bet you never celebrated any of those occasions. Much.

Brazil are much the same about the World Cup these days, and Italy can’t even be arsed with the qualifying.

Hi Bud, respectfully, you might want to do a bit of research before you have a go. The Betfred Cup is the Scottish League Cup which Falkirk have never won, our best performance was losing finalists in 1947- 48. You are confusing this tournament with the Irn Bru Cup (Scottish Challenge Cup) which we have indeed won 4 times - 4 times more than Dunfermline.

5 hours ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

Sammut did bugger all, he passed square or backwards, you'd expect a Chelsea Prospect to dictate play against Montrose, he didnt

Mackin is better than Jordan White? now that's a debate.  At first look I think I'd prefer Big Katie back - Mackin is so slow and out of shape. 

It’s all about opinions, we got a small glimpse of what they can do but I’m hopeful. We are judging them on a glorified friendly at which they’re playing together as a new team. Mackin wasn’t Ibrahimavic but he took his offside goal well... something I’ve never seen White do. He also looked fairly comfortable with the ball at feet and bringing others into play. I’d agree he looked very unfit though. 

The player who disappointed me the most was Lewis; however, he hasn’t had much game time so is even less upto speed. I won’t judge any of the side properly until we are in amongst the league games.

Hartley chopping and changing the system during the game 3/4 times seemed to leave some of the players clueless at time. 

Edited by wee_bairn

Hi Bud, respectfully, you might want to do a bit of research before you have a go. The Betfred Cup is the Scottish League Cup which Falkirk have never won, our best performance was losing finalists in 1947- 48. You are confusing this tournament with the Irn Bru Cup (Scottish Challenge Cup) which we have indeed won 4 times - 4 times more than Dunfermline.
A miniscule diddy competition and you're trying to use it to point score over us? #diddytime should be your new hash tag. Montrose ffs. [emoji23]

Personally I was embarrassed by some of our fans at the game yesterday. Heard a few booing and a shout of "fucking shite" at the final whistle.

It was our first game and yes we didn't play well but with 9 players out of the starting 11 new it's going to take time for these guys to get an understanding. I also don't know why people on here are saying they train together everyday as it's game time that players start to understand how their team mates play.

I'll give my assessment of the team

Fasan - made a couple of good saves and tried to distribute early. Didn't do much wrong.

McGhee - played well, however, it wasn't a great performance from him.

Muirhead - actually thought he played well. Solid enough at the back and his passing wasn't bad.

Harrison - thought the big guy looked solid and played some really good passes. Needs to watch he doesn't dive in though as he'll never recover.

Brough - dreadful! Hopefully he just had a poor game but I struggle to take any positives from his performance.

Paton - thought he came into the game and did a job. Does look uncomfortable on the ball at times.

Sammut - thought there was a lot of promising signs from him. Tried to dictate play but I think he was unsure a lot of times what the players around him were going to do.

Toe - thought he worked hard and done plenty running. Good on the ball and a very good delivery. One of the positives I took from the game.

Petra - did well first half but second half he struggled to get past his man. We need to get balls over the top for him to run into or get the ball to his feet early so he has space to knock the ball down the wing and go past the full back.

Lewis - dissapointed but we didn't get the ball in behind for him to run into. Almost managed a couple but the keeper was there to collect it.

Mackin - looks like he needs match sharpness but he is strong and did score 2 even though they were offside. I think he looks promising.

Froxy - played really well. Tried to get on the ball and make things happen. Had a decent attempt at goal as well. I'd like to see more of him in an attacking midfield position.

Turner - shite. Hopefully it was an off day but I don't see what he offers and looks a waste of a loan signing to me.

O'Hara - should have done better with his chances and his decision making but he did come off the bench and make an impact by creating a few chances.

Overall it's early days and Hartley has a big job on his hands. The team looked disjointed but hopefully with game time they'll gel.

22 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

A miniscule diddy competition and you're trying to use it to point score over us? #diddytime should be your new hash tag. Montrose ffs. emoji23.png

Yes, I couldn't agree more, it is a diddy competition, but still too difficult for Dunfermline to win it.

18 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

The one thing I took from yesterdays game was thank the Lord I don't have to sit in the Main Stand every week.

You genuinely never get the levels of negativity I heard yesterday in the South.

Depends where you sit in the South. There’s plenty of grumpy b*****ds in there too.

Guest Back Post Misses
Personally I was embarrassed by some of our fans at the game yesterday. Heard a few booing and a shout of "fucking shite" at the final whistle.

It was our first game and yes we didn't play well but with 9 players out of the starting 11 new it's going to take time for these guys to get an understanding. I also don't know why people on here are saying they train together everyday as it's game time that players start to understand how their team mates play.

I'll give my assessment of the team

Fasan - made a couple of good saves and tried to distribute early. Didn't do much wrong.

McGhee - played well, however, it wasn't a great performance from him.

Muirhead - actually thought he played well. Solid enough at the back and his passing wasn't bad.

Harrison - thought the big guy looked solid and played some really good passes. Needs to watch he doesn't dive in though as he'll never recover.

Brough - dreadful! Hopefully he just had a poor game but I struggle to take any positives from his performance.

Paton - thought he came into the game and did a job. Does look uncomfortable on the ball at times.

Sammut - thought there was a lot of promising signs from him. Tried to dictate play but I think he was unsure a lot of times what the players around him were going to do.

Toe - thought he worked hard and done plenty running. Good on the ball and a very good delivery. One of the positives I took from the game.

Petra - did well first half but second half he struggled to get past his man. We need to get balls over the top for him to run into or get the ball to his feet early so he has space to knock the ball down the wing and go past the full back.

Lewis - dissapointed but we didn't get the ball in behind for him to run into. Almost managed a couple but the keeper was there to collect it.

Mackin - looks like he needs match sharpness but he is strong and did score 2 even though they were offside. I think he looks promising.

Froxy - played really well. Tried to get on the ball and make things happen. Had a decent attempt at goal as well. I'd like to see more of him in an attacking midfield position.

Turner - shite. Hopefully it was an off day but I don't see what he offers and looks a waste of a loan signing to me.

O'Hara - should have done better with his chances and his decision making but he did come off the bench and make an impact by creating a few chances.

Overall it's early days and Hartley has a big job on his hands. The team looked disjointed but hopefully with game time they'll gel.

You say we didn't play well yet go on to say the majority of the team did well. Make your mind up

Guest Back Post Misses
Depends where you sit in the South. There’s plenty of grumpy b*****ds in there too.

The club don't help by shutting the SS for these games IMO. It is like a morgue at the best of times with it open.

Guest Back Post Misses

Slept on my thoughts.

1. It will take time to gel

2. Even giving for that we are 3/4 players short IMO.

3. I think there would be a bit of an attitude of "we are from England we will roll these over". This hopefully is a wake up call.

Lots of work to be done.

You say we didn't play well yet go on to say the majority of the team did well. Make your mind up
Did you bother reading it. I said 2 guys played well and another had a good first half and one played well off the bench.

Don't know what school you went to but 4 out of 14 isn't a majority