The Falkirk FC Thread

1987 : The Nazi war criminal Klaus Barbie / Butcher of Lyon and the former head of Gestapo who was extradited from Bolivia to face charges is found guilty of crimes against humanity and sentenced to life imprisonment. 

Since no one else has said it, I blame the board rather than yogi. He gave most of the old diddies a 1 year contract (I might be remembering that wrong though). It wasn't his fault that when he left, the club let every decent player we had left leave before appointing someone with no fucking experience and seemingly restricting his signings up under 20s. Just remembering all the so called wonderkids may signed is giving me the fear for this season.

13 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

"Just about to take the stage. The one and only, hold the front page!"

Klaus Barbie and The Butchers of Lyon has to have been a hard core punk band, surely? 

There's a distinct lack of nickname possibilities with this lot other than "the frox in the box" and even that brings a cringe. Anyone else seeing any likely ones? Only usable if the players are good though, if they are shite I'm sure we will default to "gtf ya w**k" and the like. 

Edited by DeeBairn

1 minute ago, DeeBairn said:

There's a distinct lack of nickname possibilities with this lot other than "the fox in the box" and even that brings a cringe. Anyone else seeing any likely ones? Only usable if the players are good though, if they are shite I'm sure we will default to "gtf ya w**k" and the like. 

Adonis, Casanova, Lothario etc etc

2 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

Any good or are agents banned from giving opinions of their clients?

Very good player, attacking full back can also fit in left mid. Rejected new contract at morton, also wasn't long ago hearts wanted to sign him but didn't want to pay compensation. Would require Falkirk a small development fee for russell due to u23 rule I'm sure. 

Just now, erskton said:

Very good player, attacking full back can also fit in left mid. Rejected new contract at morton, also wasn't long ago hearts wanted to sign him but didn't want to pay compensation. Would require Falkirk a small development fee for russell due to u23 rule I'm sure. 

He didn't reject Morton. He was taking too long to make a decision so Ray withdrew the offer. Would be interested to see how he does if Falkirk signed him. He's got ability and a lot of potential but he's regressed the last couple of seasons from the left back that could breeze past anyone on the ball with the cigars out. 

Clearly Erskton is Mark, his Da or pal!

We had high hopes for him a couple of seasons ago, but he never really kicked on and when Jack Iredale came in, it was clear he would be our first choice left back.

Still a decent player but he seems to struggle with confidence.  He seems quite lackadaisical- he will try and skin players on his own 18 yard line and from time to time it wouldn't go his way and put us under pressure. He was more effective when he cut that out and just defended. When he was playing well though and full of confidence, he really looked the part and could go past players with ease but unfortunately we never really seen that the last season or so. He scored a belter against Dunfermline a few seasons ago running the full length of the pitch.

I liked Mark and it was a shame he never kicked on the way we had hoped. Maybe a change will do him good and he will turn into the player a lot of us expected.

Will be curious to see how he gets on if he does sign with Falkirk.

2 hours ago, GMBairn said:

Since no one else has said it, I blame the board rather than yogi. He gave most of the old diddies a 1 year contract (I might be remembering that wrong though). It wasn't his fault that when he left, the club let every decent player we had left leave before appointing someone with no fucking experience and seemingly restricting his signings up under 20s. Just remembering all the so called wonderkids may signed is giving me the fear for this season.

As much as the board share the blame, yogi knew he was going and whored his to every club for the majority of his last season and obviously didn't do what managers do with players they want in current squad for next season and get them signed up

I'm sure Bullen got a 2yr or possibly 3yr which recall being madness, Jackie Mac got 2yr and I'm sure McCann got 1yr.

On paper, he left us in a better state than he started with us, on that the board can take the blame, well George Craig for forcing Eddie May to take a job he didn't want.

We needed a better manager in than May as the club was left in a mess due to Hughes

3 hours ago, GMBairn said:

The way I remember it is that Yogi didn't bother his arse trying to tie anyone down for the following season cause he knew he was offski, indeed did he not take advantage and nab an out-of-contract Padge on the back of it!?

5 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

The way I remember it is that Yogi didn't bother his arse trying to tie anyone down for the following season cause he knew he was offski, indeed did he not take advantage and nab an out-of-contract Padge on the back of it!?

Indeed he did, and that was his plan all along. Another reason I can't be doing with the hero worship. He knew what he was doing. Not getting into this again though, can't be doing with it. 

So, this left back, can he play up front or on the wing? 

49 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

We have Robson with Brough as backup. And in a real bind, McGhee. We dont need an LB.

Maybe PH sees Brough tied down for left mid and this guy as Robsons backup? 

Or he's just taking a look at possible options. If he comes cheap, he'd be a squad player. Will make a chance having left backs in abundance for once. 

Yogi gave most of the young players one year deals his reasoning for it being it would keep them hungry and would mean they were playing for their contracts for the full year instead of bothering there arse to show up  only when it came to contract renewal time the downside to that is anyone that was half decent got picked up for hee haw at the end of the season.  the 2 yr deals were to the old heads that were playing on.

My honest view is board were sold an idea by GC and Yogi and bought into it there was only one flaw in that idea "it was Bollocks"

The next level p*sh was our downfall bigger budget better players unfortunately those better players were 10 yrs out of their prime so experienced yes but slow as sh*t.