The Falkirk FC Thread

Off the back of this seasons relatively unknown signings, I have two questions for you fellow bairns fans:

1. Who has been the biggest let down of a signing?

2. Who’s been the biggest (good) surprise of a signing?

The most recent example of the first question would be Loy, with the excitement and expectation that came with the signing, but drastically underperformed.

26 minutes ago, Trump said:

Off the back of this seasons relatively unknown signings, I have two questions for you fellow bairns fans:

The most recent example of the first question would be Loy, with the excitement and expectation that came with the signing, but drastically underperformed.

In recent years,  would go for a couple of strikers - 

1. Phil Roberts.  

2. Stokes comes close, but for me without a doubt, Farid 

In recent years,  would go for a couple of strikers - 
1. Phil Roberts.  
2. Stokes comes close, but for me without a doubt, Farid 

Surprised by Phil Roberts. Not surprised about the others.

Mines would be good old BOB. A goal scoring midfielder from the English second tier, yet provided absolutely nothing and was on a monster wage.

Farid is an excellent shout though, no expectation and provided a big bond between the club and the fans when it was at a low ebb.

I'd forgotten about Phil Roberts. Did he not go on to have a sparkling career at Dundee? Haha. 

BoB was a nightmare, the young teams Derek Ferguson moment. 

I was massively let down for some reason by Rakish Bingham, I seemed to have persuaded myself he was gonna be a baller. 

Biggest let down has to be BoB although Yogi did sign a good few other duds Jason Lee being another 

surprise of a signing i cant believe no one has mentioned Vaulks has to be up there with Farid

I was genuinely excited when we signed Aird, team had been lacking a right winger and pace. He signed in January after being on loan in the MLS and I thought he would balance the side and spur us on. He didn't.

In terms of surprise signings turning out well, Leahy turning into a good left back after signing as a right winger/striker who couldn't get in the side (could be wrong about that) was a real surprise.

Above expectations Mo Johnston, once a free scoring scottish internationalist and was an over the hill hearts reserve who had wasted his talent down south at Watford, apparently!! stood out a mile in our side at the time. Showing my age but below expectations wee Stevie Logan from Meadowbank was always excellent against us and I thought he'd be superb for us but it just never worked.

Guys like farid were a  surprise but we're basically unknowns to us. 

Edited by knee jerk reaction

19 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

Above expectations Mo Johnston, once a free scoring scottish internationalist and was an over the hill hearts reserve who had wasted his talent down south at Watford, apparently!! stood out a mile in our side at the time. Showing my age but below expectations wee Stevie Logan from Meadowbank was always excellent against us and I thought he'd be superb for us but it just never worked.

Guys like farid were a  surprise but we're basically unknowns to us. 

Mo wasn't so much over the hill at Hearts but detested Tommy McLean and was playing for a move.

Saw him play for Hearts reserves at Brockville just before he joined us, barely moved out of the centre circle all game!

9 hours ago, DeeBairn said:

I'd forgotten about Phil Roberts. Did he not go on to have a sparkling career at Dundee? Haha

He looked class for a half against Celtic. I think there was a player in there, his deliveries were pretty class and he did get a few assists but just couldn't be fucked.

I'd forgotten about Phil Roberts. Did he not go on to have a sparkling career at Dundee? Haha. 

BoB was a nightmare, the young teams Derek Ferguson moment. 

I was massively let down for some reason by Rakish Bingham, I seemed to have persuaded myself he was gonna be a baller. 

He’s bounced around teams since leaving Scotland now at Chelmsford. His hatrick v livi was sensational but then he was talking himself up with a move away to the English championship and then had more red cards than goals.

Lyle Taylor was a surprise for me, following Farid was not going to be easy but he was even better despite missing his 1 on 1s and not taking pens if I remember rightly (29 goals) didn’t have the same connection with the fans as farid but he was a goal machine.

Given that my old man is a dirty fifer b*****d and didn't let me within a mile radius of the Falkirk Stadium and instead attempted to drag me to Dunfermline games which put me off football for a good few years, I have a very brief memory of Falkirk signings..

Worst, without a shadow of a fucking doubt for me would be Mark Beck. Really not sure why I was expecting him to be decent.

Best, would probably have to be Vaulks. Doubted him at the start playing both centre-half and full back but was a breath of fresh air after moving into the middle of the park alongside Kerr, both complimented each other well I feel. Some boy, will always miss him x

Phil Roberts was definitely one of the most frustrating signings I can remember. He definitely had talent but just couldn't handle the mental aspects of the game.

Could start a game on fire and then one miss/heckle from the crowd and he'd be a waste of space for the rest of the match picking fights with everyone.

32 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

Phil Roberts was definitely one of the most frustrating signings I can remember. He definitely had talent but just couldn't handle the mental aspects of the game.

Could start a game on fire and then one miss/heckle from the crowd and he'd be a waste of space for the rest of the match picking fights with everyone.

An arrogant fool who not only thought he was too good for our team but also our town & our people. Didn't realise that knuckling down and proving himself was the key to to success as a footballer.

12 hours ago, Trump said:

For me one of the worst was Lovell,thought he would score a barel load for us but he was pish!

Best for me is latapy. Felt he was coming with to much baggage and was bit of a waster . But the guy was an absolute genius and joy to watch.

For me one of the worst was Lovell,thought he would score a barel load for us but he was pish!
Best for me is latapy. Felt he was coming with to much baggage and was bit of a waster . But the guy was an absolute genius and joy to watch.

If I remember correctly, did Lovell not start playing late November that season and not finish our top goalscorer with 12 or so goals?