The Falkirk FC Thread

Just now, Crawford Baptie said:

You’re not the auld lush that was all over Lewis Kidd at the Beancross just before Christmas are you?

I am getting auld but no, I don't live in Falkirk.   When I said Lewis I meant Lewis the Falkirk TV commentator.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Has anyone did a "funny overreaction to friendly defeat" joke yet?

If not, HARTLEY OUT!!!!@!@@

Far too late. I've already suggested burning Hartley in a wicker man, giving Harris a game and playing Sheps and O'Hara up front.

I don't buy the "not been in training long" excuse.  Any other profession is expected to  perform to a standard, regardless if they have been out for a few weeks.   I get that it will take a while for them to gel together, but football isn't rocket science, a footballer, if fit, should be able to put in a decent shift.  That said, I'm a tiny bit frustrated I wasted a couple of hours of my day off listening to the game.   COYB

I don't buy the "not been in training long" excuse.  Any other profession is expected to  perform to a standard, regardless if they have been out for a few weeks.   I get that it will take a while for them to gel together, but football isn't rocket science, a footballer, if fit, should be able to put in a decent shift.  That said, I'm a tiny bit frustrated I wasted a couple of hours of my day off listening to the game.   COYB
Nae offence here, but that is clearly absolute nonsense.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
1 minute ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Nae offence here, but that is clearly absolute nonsense.

Nonsense?   A fit player should be able to put in a decent shift (true).   Regret I wasted a couple of hours (true).  I will have to defer to your superior male football mind and get back to my knitting. :) 

I can get a new job and sit behind a desk and answer phones. That isn't dependent on being able to anticipate the movement and thinking of three or four other players.

These things do take time, but I have no doubts at all that as the season improves  this will pick up. The first game is always pretty much random, it's 20 or 22 players getting 45 minutes on the park, and someone usually wins by a couple. I'll be looking for improvement by the third game in.

This is why I'm a big fan of the new cup format, it's a crap cup anyway, but the group stage is good training.

2 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Nonsense?   A fit player should be able to put in a decent shift (true).   Regret I wasted a couple of hours (true).  I will have to defer to your superior male football mind and get back to my knitting. :) 

I don't think @Bairnardo meant training in the fitness sense, more in the sense of people knowing how the people around them are likely to react and play.

1 minute ago, DeeBairn said:

I can get a new job and sit behind a desk and answer phones. That isn't dependent on being able to anticipate the movement and thinking of three or four other players.

These things do take time, but I have no doubts at all that as the season improves  this will pick up. The first game is always pretty much random, it's 20 or 22 players getting 45 minutes on the park, and someone usually wins by a couple. I'll be looking for improvement by the third game in.

This is why I'm a big fan of the new cup format, it's a crap cup anyway, but the group stage is good training.

Fair enough.  I wouldn't be Bairn if I wasn't impatient for success :) 

Nonsense?   A fit player should be able to put in a decent shift (true).   Regret I wasted a couple of hours (true).  I will have to defer to your superior male football mind and get back to my knitting. [emoji4] 
Firstly, it is nonsense. In almost all physical competitive sports, rest periods and finding peak performance at the right times is absolutely crucial. In a sport like football at pro level which carries a need for alertness and sharpness, it takes absolutely no time to fall just off your plateau, and at that level it becomes very obvious when a player is at 80 or 90% versus 100. Yous is an overly sinplistic arguement along the lines of "they get paid to play football, how can they be burnt out".

Secondly, what is this other pish? Where did I mention male/female?

Male or female you can get squarely to f**k if you are going to drop that in when someone disagrees with you.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Firstly, it is nonsense. In almost all physical competitive sports, rest periods and finding peak performance at the right times is absolutely crucial. In a sport like football at pro level which carries a need for alertness and sharpness, it takes absolutely no time to fall just off your plateau, and at that level it becomes very obvious when a player is at 80 or 90% versus 100. Yous is an overly sinplistic arguement along the lines of "they get paid to play football, how can they be burnt out".

Secondly, what is this other pish? Where did I mention male/female?

Male or female you can get squarely to f**k if you are going to drop that in when someone disagrees with you.

such a gentleman.