The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, JinkyBairn said:

So just admit it’s ‘soulless’ and never try and improve it lol? Sounds a good logic.

No but prioritise the first team and promotion over everything else then look at things such as this when/if we do get back in to the top league. 

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

Getting a better team would improve the atmosphere even more.

Fed up of folk talking about how we need to do stuff to the stadium, do more to be a family club and so on.

Put a winning team on the park and the atmosphere and family club will come second nature. No-one ever complained about the atmosphere or lack of family vibe when we were 7th in the SPL.

100% this look at the stadium etc if/when we get promoted. 

I don't get why you think standing will improve the atmoshpere? We will still get people with tickets for the standing area who want to sit down. I think we need to get it right on the park, get promoted then we can look in to things such as this. Also I would like to know where all this extra capital would come from the club by all accounts is on it's knees at the momment hence the scrapping of the academy etc. 

Just seems to be a pretty general consensus that it would, personally I couldn't actually give a f**k about standing but if people want it I think the club should think about it at least even if it's just an idea for the future.

I mostly just lament the succession of terrible decisions that's left the club in the financial state it's in with a stadium I fucking hate.

29 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I wish people would stop spouting this nonsense.

Look at the league table.

Even if we lost all four of our remaining matches, Dumbarton need to win three of their four to overhaul us.

The chances of both happening are on a par with Rangers fans admitting that their club died and that newco have never won a major trophy.

It's not nonsense at all its called being a realist, if somehow Dumbarton manage a win on Saturday and we lose will you still think it's nonsense. Until we are mathematically safe then it's not nonsense at all.

Not that it holds any significance but Rangers did die that bit is based on fact. It really depends on what you class as a major trophy, claiming the Championship title would be a major trophy to us would it not?

1 minute ago, GMBairn said:

Just seems to be a pretty general consensus that it would, personally I couldn't actually give a f**k about standing but if people want it I think the club should think about it at least even if it's just an idea for the future.

I mostly just lament the succession of terrible decisions that's left the club in the financial state it's in with a stadium I fucking hate.

I am with you on hating the stadium its been a financial burden since day 1, but its what we have. Prioritise the team on the park, get us challenging at least, hopefully promoted then we can go back to the nice to have's such as academies, safe standing etc. Although we should be looking to establish ourselves in the league before all that. 

My point is that you seem unsure of why having extra money helps a club achieve success. When I pointed out that being financially stronger than your rivals has a massive correlation with sporting success, you then started bringing up one-off Man City games against Liverpool to (apparently) show that being financially stronger does not always equal success. So I'd like to know how Man City are doing in, you know, a league, rather than one-off games (which even the best teams can lose).

I already stated that if the money is spent well you are more likely to succeed. When you don’t, you get Dundee United.
Re Man City in the league this season...It’s not really that relevant. They spent massively in other seasons and did not win the league. I can also just as easily counter it with Leicester City last season. Or the performances of Burnley, Brighton, Bournemouth etc, etc. with less available funds. Or I could point out that Man U and Chelsea also spent massively but did not achieve what was expected this season.
Cash well spent means success, but it’s never guaranteed that you will succeed because you spent more.

On 10/4/2018 at 12:53, FFCinthearea said:

So St Mirren at home on the last game of the season.  I'm presuming that we'll be giving them the North Stand and half of the West?  They'll easily sell 4000 tickets.

Absolutely no chance. 2000 will be plenty for them 

22 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I already stated that if the money is spent well you are more likely to succeed. When you don’t, you get Dundee United.
Re Man City in the league this season...It’s not really that relevant. They spent massively in other seasons and did not win the league. I can also just as easily counter it with Leicester City last season. Or the performances of Burnley, Brighton, Bournemouth etc, etc. with less available funds. Or I could point out that Man U and Chelsea also spent massively but did not achieve what was expected this season.
Cash well spent means success, but it’s never guaranteed that you will succeed because you spent more.

You're the one that brought them up, champ.

I made no claim that spending more money guarantees success - just that it's heavily correlated with it. I think you'd have to be really obtuse not to think that having a financial advantage over your rivals gives you a massive sporting advantage too.

36 minutes ago, Stuperman01 said:

It's not nonsense at all its called being a realist, if somehow Dumbarton manage a win on Saturday and we lose will you still think it's nonsense. Until we are mathematically safe then it's not nonsense at all.

Not that it holds any significance but Rangers did die that bit is based on fact. It really depends on what you class as a major trophy, claiming the Championship title would be a major trophy to us would it not?

Both results you mention would shorten the odds of Dumbarton overhauling us, but it'd still be very unlikely. Given the performances of both teams since January I don't consider it realistic that they'll win 3 out of 4 and we'll lose all of ours.  

If you genuinely think that's being realistic, go and put a bet on at the bookies.

Edited by Bainsfordbairn

12 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Both results you mention would shorten the odds of Dumbarton overhauling us, but it'd still be very unlikely. Given the performances of both teams since January I don't consider it realistic that they'll win 3 out of 4 and we'll lose all of ours.  

If you genuinely think that's being realistic, go and put a bet on at the bookies.

I think it's more likely that we'll lose all of ours than Dumbarton winning 3 TBH.

Hartley appears to have started to piss about with team selection, tactics and substitutions, probably in an effort to get us over the line but it appears to have backfired somewhat. I know what he's saying about us playing so many games in a short period and having to use the pool but I feel it would have been better if he'd gone with our strongest team until we were safe before starting to tinker.

Problem is that one of those potential Dumbarton victories would be against us and, if they had managed to win the two before...

57 minutes ago, Stuperman01 said:

Sorry but as a Dumbarton realist, it is complete nonsense. We haven't won 3 games in a row all season. We haven't even won 3 out of 4 at any point in the season. We have 7 wins, 4 of those against Brechin. We've only managed back to back wins twice, the first of those being Brechin and Inverness both at home then the second being a Brechin double header.  We just aren't very good. It's not mathematically safe but it's as good as. I'd be happy to take your bets if you think Dumbarton will catch Falkirk.

11 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Sorry but as a Dumbarton realist, it is complete nonsense. We haven't won 3 games in a row all season. We haven't even won 3 out of 4 at any point in the season. We have 7 wins, 4 of those against Brechin. We've only managed back to back wins twice, the first of those being Brechin and Inverness both at home then the second being a Brechin double header.  We just aren't very good. It's not mathematically safe but it's as good as. I'd be happy to take your bets if you think Dumbarton will catch Falkirk.

Which makes me even more worried than I was before! :unsure2:

2 hours ago, Stuperman01 said:

Dumbarton have won 3 games all season against teams that aren't Brechin.

They are not going to make up 8 points on us over 4 games.

1 hour ago, JinkyBairn said:

Who we actually wanting to keep next season?

I wouldnt be bothered if we punted everyone (excluding any loanees) apart from Sibbs and McGhee (if played at CB).

I would probably keep Robson and either Grant or Muirhead. Mitchell might be a decent back up keeper once he's back from injury too.

I dont think standing will make much difference to be honest. Games with decent atmospheres tend to be those with large away supports. These days clubs do very little to encourage travelling supporters and having the likes of brechin, dumbarton, livie and ict in the league certainly doesnt help.

1 hour ago, JinkyBairn said:

Who we actually wanting to keep next season?

I wouldnt be bothered if we punted everyone (excluding any loanees) apart from Sibbs and McGhee (if played at CB).

I think McGhee, Robson, Sibbald and Longridge would be a good core and definitely Nelson & Jakubiak if we could get them back. One or two more too for the squad if need be but we probably need a goalie, RWB, two centre halves, and 3 or 4 midfielders in addition.