The Falkirk FC Thread

7 minutes ago, GMBairn said:

Safe standing might improve the atmosphere a bit and let's be honest we have to spend on that stadium, shite as it is, because we are stuck with it for the next 20 years minimum.

Getting a better team would improve the atmosphere even more.

Fed up of folk talking about how we need to do stuff to the stadium, do more to be a family club and so on.

Put a winning team on the park and the atmosphere and family club will come second nature. No-one ever complained about the atmosphere or lack of family vibe when we were 7th in the SPL.

Fed up of folk talking about how we need to do stuff to the stadium, do more to be a family club and so on.
Put a winning team on the park and the atmosphere and family club will come second nature. No-one ever complained about the atmosphere or lack of family vibe when we were 7th in the SPL.

No one might have complained but the atmosphere at that stadium has always been shite and there is no point pretending it was amazing when we were in the spl.

Maybe some adjustments to the stadium would help and a better team is obviously first priority but that doesn't mean you shouldn't think about anything else ever.

1 minute ago, GMBairn said:

No one might have complained but the atmosphere at that stadium has always been shite and there is no point pretending it was amazing when we were in the spl.

Maybe some adjustments to the stadium would help and a better team is obviously first priority but that doesn't mean you shouldn't think about anything else ever.

No, it's never been amazing. But when given the choice between putting in safe standing or putting that money towards a couple of good Championship players, I know what I would choose.

I'm not saying "never". I'm saying that right now this should not be our priority.

No, it's never been amazing. But when given the choice between putting in safe standing or putting that money towards a couple of good Championship players, I know what I would choose.
I'm not saying "never". I'm saying that right now this should not be our priority.

Why do we always think having a little more cash will somehow turn us into world beaters?
The club found extra cash for Loy this season. How did that work out?
I appreciate it’s on another level but the atmosphere was a significant factor in Liverpool’s victory over City at Anfield (twice). Sometimes a better atmosphere can improve the performance of a team on the park too...

4 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Why do we always think having a little more cash will somehow turn us into world beaters?
The club found extra cash for Loy this season. How did that work out?
I appreciate it’s on another level but the atmosphere was a significant factor in Liverpool’s victory over City at Anfield (twice). Sometimes a better atmosphere can improve the performance of a team on the park too...

Because there is a massive correlation with how financially powerful a team is, and how successful they are on the park. I don't really see why this is up for dispute.

How have Man City done in a round-robin of, oh, I dunno, 30-odd games? Could you please check that out for me?

Edited by Gaz

I can actually. Been a City follower since ‘76. City have won exactly Zero times on the last seventeen visits to Anfield. The only correlation I can find is that it’s by far the most intimidating atmosphere in the EPL on a big match day and Liverpool really up their game as a consequence.

Of course it’s right that clubs that spend more are generally more successful but it does not always work out that way. We spent cash when we were in the SPL that put us into financial trouble when we were relegated.

I’d be curious to know what St Mirren’s budget was compared to ourselves this season.

Far too sensible Gaz!

Safe standing might improve the atmosphere a bit and let's be honest we have to spend on that stadium, shite as it is, because we are stuck with it for the next 20 years minimum.

You know, I struggle to understand people logic on this forum. Like me, I'm sure many on here follow FFC on away days etc... I find it hard to believe that as supporters we are complaining about the state of our stadium, really?

Scottish football is littered with... Well, shitehole stadiums. It's unbelievable that we should be complaining about the state of ours when others would love to have a stadium like it, sure it's not perfect but IMO much of the atmosphere is generated by the excitement on the pitch and this is were we fall short.

4th stand, standing area is all well but don't waste any more money except the first team squad.

28 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I can actually. Been a City follower since ‘76. City have won exactly Zero times on the last seventeen visits to Anfield. The only correlation I can find is that it’s by far the most intimidating atmosphere in the EPL on a big match day and Liverpool really up their game as a consequence.

Eh... surely you didn't think that was what I asked? Do you know what a round-robin is?

Edited by Gaz

You know, I struggle to understand people logic on this forum. Like me, I'm sure many on here follow FFC on away days etc... I find it hard to believe that as supporters we are complaining about the state of our stadium, really?

Scottish football is littered with... Well, shitehole stadiums. It's unbelievable that we should be complaining about the state of ours when others would love to have a stadium like it, sure it's not perfect but IMO much of the atmosphere is generated by the excitement on the pitch and this is were we fall short.

4th stand, standing area is all well but don't waste any more money except the first team squad.

I agree, we have a decent stadium but it does often lack atmosphere which, conversely to your comment, can spur the team on. When they players hear the support getting behind them, you often find us at our most attacking and more likely to score.
I agree the primary objective is to get a winning team, but don’t write off that improving atmosphere is a total irrelevance.
You spend money on one player, and it does not work out, the moneys wasted. You spend it on something that genuinely improves atmosphere, it’s there for years to come.
Incidentally, despite these posts in support, I am only offering a counter argument for debate. I am pretty open minded about what’s best for the club. So if money became available and the club decided to spend it on players, I wouldn’t be adverse to that if it’s spent well.

Having product on the park that performs well and entertains will create a good atmosphere first and foremost regardless.  No stadia design in the world would create a good atmosphere if you are not entertained and watching your team get pumped week in week out, with dwindling crowds. Very very simple really. 

Other stadiums are worse (some much worse) but let's be honest we made a f**k up of the design of that stadium. We probably have the worst new stadium.

Pie in the sky pish about hotels and sports villages and something like a 12000 capacity.

The focus should have been smaller stands, 4 of them and completely enclosed to help with the atmosphere.

You are correct, quality on the pitch would boost the atmosphere and is the most important thing, but a complete stadium that wasn't souless, open to the elements and one of the coldest places in the world would help as well.

I agree, we have a decent stadium but it does often lack atmosphere which, conversely to your comment, can spur the team on. When they players hear the support getting behind them, you often find us at our most attacking and more likely to score.

Agree to a point but you need a team capable of scoring on the park.

It's maybe nothing to do with the stadium atmosphere maybe it's our support who don't get involved the way they should. I bet the Dunfermline supporters thought there was little wrong with the atmosphere at the TFS on Saturday, they looked as if they were having a great time.

Maybe we are just a very hard support to please... There was nothing wrong with the stadium atmosphere the night we beat Hibs in the play offs but that atmosphere was generated by the excitement of the team on the park's

Remembering the SPL years, our supporters were fairly quiet then too. We never really raised the roof then.
The marketing people do a great job, the young team do their best to get the songs going etc to try to lift the stadium mood but I feel the feel good factor for me is winning games and playing well.

53 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Of course it’s right that clubs that spend more are generally more successful but it does not always work out that way. We spent cash when we were in the SPL that put us into financial trouble when we were relegated.

I’d be curious to know what St Mirren’s budget was compared to ourselves this season.

Yeah let's get safe standing in immediately because that's what Liverpool have done to create that intimidating atmosphere at Anfield. 

Yeah let's get safe standing in immediately because that's what Liverpool have done to create that intimidating atmosphere at Anfield. 

Em, the point I made is the impact of a better atmosphere has on performance.
Liverpool clearly don’t need to take further action.

15 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Em, the point I made is the impact of a better atmosphere has on performance.
Liverpool clearly don’t need to take further action.

Any chance on digging me out those stats of how Man City are performing in a round-robin of 30-odd games?

2 hours ago, Stuperman01 said:

We are still in a relegation fight here folks make no mistake about it,

I wish people would stop spouting this nonsense.

Look at the league table.

Even if we lost all four of our remaining matches, Dumbarton need to win three of their four to overhaul us.

The chances of both happening are on a par with Rangers fans admitting that their club died and that newco have never won a major trophy.

13 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Do you really need them?
What’s your point caller?

My point is that you seem unsure of why having extra money helps a club achieve success. When I pointed out that being financially stronger than your rivals has a massive correlation with sporting success, you then started bringing up one-off Man City games against Liverpool to (apparently) show that being financially stronger does not always equal success. So I'd like to know how Man City are doing in, you know, a league, rather than one-off games (which even the best teams can lose).

2 hours ago, GMBairn said:

I don't get why you think standing will improve the atmoshpere? We will still get people with tickets for the standing area who want to sit down. I think we need to get it right on the park, get promoted then we can look in to things such as this. Also I would like to know where all this extra capital would come from the club by all accounts is on it's knees at the momment hence the scrapping of the academy etc.