The Falkirk FC Thread

13 minutes ago, JinkyBairn said:

I liked Houston tbh. That season we got to the play off final was probably my favourite season as a Bairn.

Who did you support pre-2015?

1 minute ago, JinkyBairn said:

You’ve got aw the patter ae.

In terms of enjoyment level, it trumped my first season (last year at a Brockville) and anything else that followed.

Getting thwacked in the playoffs after a season in this pishy league trumped finishing 7th in the SPL two seasons in a row?

28 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Getting thwacked in the playoffs after a season in this pishy league trumped finishing 7th in the SPL two seasons in a row?

You do realise finishing 2nd in a league (including Rangers and Hibs) means winning a lot more football matches than finishing 7th?

As if you weren't going off your tits when McHugh popped up in both play-off games vs. Hibs.

image.png.31ccf200e5c77cd43a7dd669c3bfeaf9.png

Was fully aware that we were shocking before January, but for some reason this makes it look so much worse.

Somewhere between the 19th of November and the 23th of December I forgot what it felt like to score a goal.

Then Don Hartley, along with the January transfer window, arrived bearing gifts.

#Juggernaut

Can anyone explain how our performance on Saturday was more entertaining than under Houstie? For that matter, can you do the same re our previous game against Livi, our fortunate late win against Brechin or our goalless draw against Dumbarton amongst others?
I agree we have played better in spells but we also have games, like Saturday, where we look tactically clueless and bypassed our midfield almost the entire match.
I have already said that it was time for Houstie to go and Hartley has done well enough overall since coming in. So I am not a Houstie apologist.
What I don’t understand is the constant attacks on Housties overall reign. Two seasons finishing second in a league of much higher quality than this season and one of them acquiring 70 points in a league including Rangers and Hibs does not suggest negative, lazy or tippy tap football to me...

1 hour ago, BendtnerBairn said:

You do realise finishing 2nd in a league (including Rangers and Hibs) means winning a lot more football matches than finishing 7th?

As if you weren't going off your tits when McHugh popped up in both play-off games vs. Hibs.

A bit of a straw-man argument. I didn't say I didn't enjoy that season, or those games. I just find it a bit strange that someone would say it's the most entertaining season they've had since supporting us from our last season at Brockville. And if we're using the "winning a lot more football matches" as our criteria for an enjoyable season, why not use the last game at Brockville? We won 25 of those games. In 04/05 we won 22. The playoff season we won 19.

35 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Can anyone explain how our performance on Saturday was more entertaining than under Houstie? For that matter, can you do the same re our previous game against Livi, our fortunate late win against Brechin or our goalless draw against Dumbarton amongst others?
I agree we have played better in spells but we also have games, like Saturday, where we look tactically clueless and bypassed our midfield almost the entire match.
I have already said that it was time for Houstie to go and Hartley has done well enough overall since coming in. So I am not a Houstie apologist.
What I don’t understand is the constant attacks on Housties overall reign. Two seasons finishing second in a league of much higher quality than this season and one of them acquiring 70 points in a league including Rangers and Hibs does not suggest negative, lazy or tippy tap football to me...

See, the problem with the "what about last season!!!11!!" chat is that it was just that, last season. We weren't awarded any bonus points for it this season.

I don't think anyone is claiming that every single Hartley game has been more entertaining than some games under Houston. Every football team is going to play poorly and lose or draw sometimes.

But see, the thing is we play in a league, not a series of one-off games. And overall we are much, much better.

See, the problem with the "what about last season!!!11!!" chat is that it was just that, last season. We weren't awarded any bonus points for it this season.

I don't think anyone is claiming that every single Hartley game has been more entertaining than some games under Houston. Every football team is going to play poorly and lose or draw sometimes.

But see, the thing is we play in a league, not a series of one-off games. And overall we are much, much better.

I genuinely believe some of the comments re lethargic performances in the early part of this season are valid. But I think there were underlying reasons and it’s nothing to do with fitness levels.

Anyone who watched the team for the first 30 mins against St Mirren certainly was not thinking tippy, tap, lazy football. We were all out attack and I can only assume that was the tactic from the manager.

We ended up deservedly losing and never looked forward. Something had clearly happened behind the scenes and it appears Houstie lost the players, hence the shite we saw for the short remains of his tenure.

But it’s not right to me to say that we did not play entertaining football in prior seasons. More cautious than it should be at times under Houstie? yes.

Remember the queues around the stadium for play off tickets? Remember the battling playoff draw and win against Hibs, and at home to Killie or away at Tannadice last season?

I think if we were that awful to watch or as unfit or as negative as some say, those events would not have happened.

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

A bit of a straw-man argument. I didn't say I didn't enjoy that season, or those games. I just find it a bit strange that someone would say it's the most entertaining season they've had since supporting us from our last season at Brockville. And if we're using the "winning a lot more football matches" as our criteria for an enjoyable season, why not use the last game at Brockville? We won 25 of those games. In 04/05 we won 22. The playoff season we won 19.

Dono how it’s strange hahaha.

Put it this way, Rangers 3-2, Rangers 2-1, Hibs 2-2 (10 men occasion), Hibs 3-2 easily make my top 10 Bairns games, and they all came in the same season.

Took me a good wee while to decide that Houston had to go, and it was always the players to blame for me. The manager falls on his sword though thats just the way it is. The football last season was getting worse though. No doubt the season before was up there though. To follow up the Scottish Cup final and subsequent disappointment with some of the scenes in that season was outstanding. Definitely some permanent memories etched in.

Beating Rangers 3-2 will go down as one of my favourites, 2-0 down to the run away league leaders with about 12 minutes to go and win.

As with the Hibs away 2-2, again being 2-0 down and a man down with less than 5 minutes to go and snatching a draw out of it and if it had went on another 2 minutes Falkirk would have scored again.

The 3-2 v Hibs in the playoffs was also a classic game in front of a sell out crowd and live on BT.

1 hour ago, JinkyBairn said:

Dono how it’s strange hahaha.

Put it this way, Rangers 3-2, Rangers 2-1, Hibs 2-2 (10 men occasion), Hibs 3-2 easily make my top 10 Bairns games, and they all came in the same season.

I'm not saying it wasn't an enjoyable season. I'm just not sure it would come at the top of many people's lists given the relative success we enjoyed throughout the 2000s.

Guest Back Post Misses

No one else can be blamed apart from
Houston IMO. He signed the players, he coached the players, he motivated them and he chose the tactics.

He also told the world he was leaving at the end of the season which was his biggest folly imo.

Hartley then had to get to January with a group who had downed tools. January was a sticking plaster and on those terms he has done well. Looks likely he will keep us up.

Big summer and if Hartley is to fullfill his undoubted ambitions to manage at a high level he has to get this job right. That means get us up. That gives me encouragement and makes me optimistic that next season will be good.

Serious question - if next season we can see a continuous improvement in the squad, but finish (say) 2nd or 3rd, would folk be happy?

Just now, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:
2 minutes ago, Gaz said:
Serious question - if next season we can see a continuous improvement in the squad, but finish (say) 2nd or 3rd, would folk be happy?

Which league?

We're obviously going to be in the Championship.

I think a lot of folk think though that after this season is out the way, we'll scoosh the league next season. That (probably) won't happen.