The Falkirk FC Thread

On 21/02/2018 at 10:33, Believe The Hype said:

Well now you are just  talking shite to make your point. 

Did Houston win manager of the month in the season he left ?

I wasn't spouting a stat I was stating a fact. You said Muirheads contribution to those games were as little as could be. I pointed out the fact he had a man of the match performance and scored 2 goals within these games. Now don't go thinking I am muirheads biggest fan,  I just think you are looking to stir the pot for the sake of it and using him as your scapegoat so to speak.

Woah there. You seriously saying a MoM award in one game plus 2 goals marks him out as a decent contributor to the things that have gone well? I’m sorry, but his dire distribution and his (at times) woeful defending far outweighs the positives you have quoted.

He isn’t my scapegoat. He’s just a key component of why our defence is so ropey, not a key component of the reasons why we have started winning games.

Put the ball in the air to an attacker he’s close to, and yes, he’ll compete like a bear to win it. But just watch him repeatedly lose the plot in terms of where an attacker actually is, and bingo, we see Muirhead at his poorest (along with his passing to his own team mates obviously)....no-one can defend how bad he is in those respects.

Look, some people love a fire fighting defender who can dish out a few blood and snotters tackles when the opportunity arises. Muirhead will do that for us, and yes, grab the occasional  centre back’s goal.....most centre backs do.  It’s the other aspects of his game that for me, see him as a major liability. Now, maybe I just have to suck it up, because our club view him as about as good as it gets for the money we pay.

The one thing he isn’t is a scapegoat.

3 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Woah there. You seriously saying a MoM award in one game plus 2 goals marks him out as a decent contributor to the things that have gone well? I’m sorry, but his dire distribution and his (at times) woeful defending far outweighs the positives you have quoted.

He isn’t my scapegoat. He’s just a key component of why our defence is so ropey, not a key component of the reasons why we have started winning games.

Put the ball in the air to an attacker he’s close to, and yes, he’ll compete like a bear to win it. But just watch him repeatedly lose the plot in terms of where an attacker actually is, and bingo, we see Muirhead at his poorest (along with his passing to his own team mates obviously)....no-one can defend how bad he is in those respects.

Look, some people love a fire fighting defender who can dish out a few blood and snotters tackles when the opportunity arises. Muirhead will do that for us, and yes, grab the occasional  centre back’s goal.....most centre backs do.  It’s the other aspects of his game that for me, see him as a major liability. Now, maybe I just have to suck it up, because our club view him as about as good as it gets for the money we pay.

Tbf most ‘centre back’ goals aren’t from the penalty spot.

I’m not sure if that’s saying he has another skill that I am giving due credit for, or if you reckon he only scores (in the main) because he’s our chosen taker of penalties.

If we ever get round to adopting the “special teams” caper, then yes, a quality “never misses” penalty taker might be something worth having ready and raring to go.

Without that, then yes, it’s great having a guy in the team who is great from 12 yards, but hardly essential as a core skill that would justify being in anyone’s starting eleven. If it were, I am sure he’d be with a really big club by now. I honestly cannot think of any player who gets a regular game because they can take a mean penalty.

11 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I’m not sure if that’s saying he has another skill that I am giving due credit for, or if you reckon he only scores (in the main) because he’s our chosen taker of penalties.

If we ever get round to adopting the “special teams” caper, then yes, a quality “never misses” penalty taker might be something worth having ready and raring to go.

Without that, then yes, it’s great having a guy in the team who is great from 12 yards, but hardly essential as a core skill that would justify being in anyone’s starting eleven. If it were, I am sure he’d be with a really big club by now. I honestly cannot think of any player who gets a regular game because they can take a mean penalty.

Quite the reply there. It didn’t mean anything other than what it said. 

You: he picks up goals, as most centre backs do

me: most centre backs goals aren’t from penalty spot

Its just a factual statement. I don’t think he’s a world beater. He’s perhaps marginally better than Watson, was better than Gasparotto. He’s ok at this level no need to be panick selling or that.

15 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Are you trying to make an argument with myself and bounty ?

You: muirhead has done barely minimal in the games we have won recently.

Me: does that include the game he got man of the match and scored twice ?

That's It, that's all I was saying, so stop moving the goalposts anytime one of your statements is called out for shenanigans.

Where did I use the term “barely minimal”? 

I said his contribution as to why we had won 8 games since he had been Captain was slight. I was looking at his contribution over BPMs 11 games.

You then picked out one game, and asked if it included that game. If what you are after is an answer to that specific question, then the answer is “yes”, because I was clearly saying that in BPM’s group of eleven games (not one game), he wasn’t key as to why we won eight of them! It would be fairly easy to pick out games within that group where the guy’s performances were awful, but as no-one keeps records for awful passes, or responsible for goals conceded, then views on individual’s performances are always subjective.

I also countered BPMs argument by saying we have conceded more goals against poorer opposition since he was made Captain. It’s a fact, no denying that, but as Bounty says, it’s open to interpretation as to why that is.

16 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Where did I use the term “barely minimal”?

On 20/02/2018 at 22:05, Duncan Freemason said:

In fact, I would say Muirhead’s contribution to those wins is about as slight as it could be.

Not a direct quote, but "as slight as it could be" is pretty close. Just give it a rest. I think we all agree that muirhead is not the best. Regardless of this, we are on great form of which he has been a part of and contributed to whether that suits your agenda against him or not.

Forget the sports science nonsense Hartley, free Mcdonalds for the lads!

I am enjoying the fact that there seems to be plenty of people thinking a aponsorship deal means the players are being force fed quarter pounders after the game....

Better than a steak pie right enough.

2 hours ago, Fitbafollower said:

Get behind the team and players and stop all the personal and negative posts some of these posts are a joke 

To each their own, but for me I would have gone with a full stop .* after posts, then finished off with a second sentence.

*not to be taken as an actual punctuation mark, illustrative purposes only.