The Falkirk FC Thread

45 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

Would be interesting to see how much we are following the Brentford model. Hopefully be a big push in analytics at the club in terms of recruitment and performance.

100% this. If we're going to be picking up players released by other academies, we need to be smart about how we scout them and not just picking up any old dross that's released by the usual suspects (e.g. Harris). Analytics can be a very cost-effective way of narrowing down your targets and only utilising scouting resources on those who have genuine potential.

Alston , Kingsley , Fulton , McGrandles , Arfield ......

St Johnstone is a step above us just now but hardly elite.

Fulton and Kingsley I'll give you.

McGrandles was at Rangers for a number of years I believe.

Scott Arfield made his debut more than 10 years ago?

As long as we're in the Championship, the BP in the background will bring more to the stadium than an empty 4th stand would. At least the occasional flame gives us something to look at.

The old codgers won’t be able to see when a trains leaving Grangemouth so can’t see us building a new stand.

2 hours ago, Believe The Hype said:

100% this. Took the words out of my mouth. A quick glance at the Facebook comments about breakin the news to a child with hopes and dreams etc which are now in tatters is unfortunate but necessary. If your wean is that good he or she will find another club and follow their 'dreams' putting your child at that age under illusions of success is what is wrong with this program in the first place. Make the club all about the 1st team first and foremost and if this pays off and down the line we may have the luxury of being a comfortable, sustainable side in the premier league then dabble in the thought of an academy. Right now it is not needed and not the answer. 

Just so we're clear here, Falkirk FC are not the owners or exclusive funders of Forth Valley Academy, though I accept whatever Stenhousemuir and East Stirling throw in the pot may be trivial. Nor has a decision as yet been taken to close Forth Valley and shut down the programme. If Falkirk were the major funders then there are undeniable ramifications but the Academy may well continue on vastly reduced funds. It will be partly financed by the SFA as all Club Academy programmes are. I don't know how many paid employees it actually has (ours for instance has none at all and all the coaches are volunteers) and there may be a requirement to scale down but unless they actually want to it probably won't close.

Does it use Falkirk Stadium for training or do they train elsewhere? If they do use Falkirk then perhaps the club would continue to allow that usage meaning at least the Academy would have no further pitch hire costs. Don't know if they already use Ochilview instead or if there might be time slots to use it if they don't.

Still, it's a significant development for both the club and the Scottish game in general. It's less than a month since Forth Valley was confirmed as one of the second tier "Progressive" academies in the Prokect Brave blueprint. It seems unlikely it will be able to fulfil that level of commitment now which will be pretty embarrassing for the SFA too.

2 hours ago, Believe The Hype said:

100% this. Took the words out of my mouth. A quick glance at the Facebook comments about breakin the news to a child with hopes and dreams etc which are now in tatters is unfortunate but necessary. If your wean is that good he or she will find another club and follow their 'dreams' putting your child at that age under illusions of success is what is wrong with this program in the first place. Make the club all about the 1st team first and foremost and if this pays off and down the line we may have the luxury of being a comfortable, sustainable side in the premier league then dabble in the thought of an academy. Right now it is not needed and not the answer. 

Let me offer another view on this which I admit has a degree of personal agenda in writing but...........my grandson has played Kids footie since the age of 3 and is now 10 and as a result I have spent the last 7 years watching a lot of what has been going on locally. To sum up a biased perspective on the Forth Valley Academy  I have the distinct impression that it has bred an elitist culture based on cherry picking from the various boys clubs in the area but with particular focus on a couple of "special" feeder clubs. I have noticed first hand  some inflated egos amongst the boys themselves & sadly some posturing amongst parents.

In truth I have always questioned the validity of taking 10 and 11 year olds  out of the normal set up to create the super team status given that they are the best part of at least 6 years away from the potential of a professional career in football.

To that end whilst it might be unfortunate if the chronology of communication has gone awry I salute Margaret and Craig for both their courage and foresight in taking a stand here for the betterment of FFC .

9 minutes ago, Kircer bairn said:

Let me offer another view on this which I admit has a degree of personal agenda in writing but...........my grandson has played Kids footie since the age of 3 and is now 10 and as a result I have spent the last 7 years watching a lot of what has been going on locally. To sum up a biased perspective on the Forth Valley Academy  I have the distinct impression that it has bred an elitist culture based on cherry picking from the various boys clubs in the area but with particular focus on a couple of "special" feeder clubs. I have noticed first hand  some inflated egos amongst the boys themselves & sadly some posturing amongst parents.

In truth I have always questioned the validity of taking 10 and 11 year olds  out of the normal set up to create the super team status given that they are the best part of at least 6 years away from the potential of a professional career in football.

To that end whilst it might be unfortunate if the chronology of communication has gone awry I salute Margaret and Craig for both their courage and foresight in taking a stand here for the betterment of FFC .

That is of course entirely the model of the Club Academy, and still further the Project Brave, system. Whilst the egos and posturing is an unfortunate by-product the theory always was that taking the elite youth players to play with and against other elite youth players should assist their development and the long term development of players in this country far more than continuing to run rings around inferior players would.

Whether or not that model is the correct way of going about things is a whole different question of course. I wouldn't flatter myself to offer a view on that. If the Academy handles itself well it should be maintaining a working relationship with the local boys clubs and assisting players who don't quite make the grade to go back there. I don't really see any point in criticising the development model for doing exactly what it sets out to do though.

If Will Vaulks is the type of player we can scout I think this is a good move. I know Will “ scouted “ us. There must be a lot of players in his position of being freed from a full time future and desperate to prove people wrong. IF we indeed scout this type it can only be good. Swansea have basically been doing that with us

From a totally selfish point of view I support Falkirk FC which in my mind is the first team. I want what is best for the first team and if pulling funds from the FV Academy helps then crack on and well done on making the decision.

If what we have done causes any embarrassment or issues for the SFA then that is an added bonus.