The Falkirk FC Thread

Disagree with that last bit. We changed to a diamond (a formation I've been calling for us to use over the last 2 seasons) after O'Hara and Miller came on and we definitely lost a bit of momentum because of that. We were better after changing back to our conventional 4-4-2 although for me O'Hara was wasted on the right wing. O'Hara and Shepherd are both strikers and if we are going to play them it has to be up front. Both have potential and I'd loan out one of them 

Sorry, I meant the first change after the subs. You're right though we came back into it later on.
Aye, no point in having 5 strikers for the first team, a loan for Shepherd would work as he's probably 5th choice at the moment, he seems comfortable in the development league so a proper season in league 1 would do him the world of good.

Sorry but Shepherd just doesn't have it. I saw nothing last night to suggest otherwise. Nothing against the guy personally. I didn't see any positional sense, his decision making in terms of where he made certain runs and which headers to challenge for was debatable and there was no composure for his chance. 

He certainly got in the way when O'hara headed over. Perhaps on that occasion O'hara should have been making it clearer that it was his header.

We looked fine though. Moving the ball around far quicker because we are down to one of Kerr and Sibbald..... 

Edited by Thundermonkey

Sorry but Shepherd just doesn't have it. I saw nothing last night to suggest otherwise. Nothing against the guy personally. I didn't see any positional sense, his decision making in terms of where he made certain runs and which headers to challenge for was debatable and there was no composure for his chance. 
He certainly got in the way when O'hara headed over. Perhaps on that occasion O'hara should have been making it clearer that it was his header.
We looked fine though. Moving the ball around far quicker because we are down to one of Kerr and Sibbald..... 

Unfortunately I agree with all of this (even the last part, maybe), nature of the game though for Shepherd, just makes the 2 year extension seem odd.

If ever there was a Falkirk player that could use a stint on loan at East Fife it's Shepps.

2 one on ones and he failed both times. Also got in the way of O'Hara scoring late on 

The 1 thing I would say about him is he's quick and direct with it. Whenever someone is sitting with the ball in the middle you will see Shepps bursting through.

11 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Granted that we have played three glorified pub teams but the football has been great to watch, vast improvement on last season. Time to lay off Muirhead the guy is playing well and looks much more comfortable coming forward and young Gallagher is strolling through these games.
Plenty options in midfield and genuine quality up front seems we are in good shape for the coming season (cue collapse at Paisley).

I see you guys are like us ' cue disappointment 5th August' ha ha.

The secret is never get too excited :lol:

3 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

If ever there was a Falkirk player that could use a stint on loan at East Fife it's Shepps.

2 one on ones and he failed both times. Also got in the way of O'Hara scoring late on 

The 1 thing I would say about him is he's quick and direct with it. Whenever someone is sitting with the ball in the middle you will see Shepps bursting through.

There were times he burst through yet it would take a wonder pass to actually reach him. Houston has a plan for him obviously. I'd have let him go instead of given him a deal. Having both Shepherd and O'hara at the club at the same time might hinder both of their development.

3 minutes ago, Thundermonkey said:

There were times he burst through yet it would take a wonder pass to actually reach him. Houston has a plan for him obviously. I'd have let him go instead of given him a deal. Having both Shepherd and O'hara at the club at the same time might hinder both of their development.

Agree on that, for me O'Hara was the half time sub, it's like he's offered Sheps this deal now he is trying so hard to make it work, season in League 1/2 to try and get some form of confidence in him and come back next year to fight for a place.

The worry would be if Austin and Loy get injured are Shepherd and O'Hara good enough to step in? The former has had chances before and not taken them. I tend to agree i would let Shepherd go on loan if it meant bringing in someone a bit better even a loan. 

EBT tax scheme fantasy news update..."Great to see the SPFL finally showing a bit of backbone and standing up to the Govan tax-dodging pestilence, stripping away their illegally won trophies instead of sooking their pipe. Wikipedia and official FFC club website now updated to confirm Scottish Cup win in 2009. Cheers to our oh-so-caring governing body for ensuring sporting integrity and fair play be upheld for all teams affected by the EBT scandal, not just the one from the other side of Glasgow".  

Just imagine; "SPFL" and "backbone" AND "integrity" in the same paragraph. Who'da thunk it?  

17 hours ago, spratte said:

thought we lacked harris' pace tonight down the right at times but it was good to see that even mixing it up a bit we still look balanced. cant put my finger on why we look so different this season but i guess with fash and mckee not playing regularly last season and loy and harris we have effectivley four mew players. is it just loys composure?

ferguson on radio said we looked majestic personally think he is off the mark as we just looked sexy as f**k

oh and pass marks for the much maligned sheps amd kerr

You cannot overstate the amount of damage Baird was doing to the overall team play. There were games I genuinely believe we would have been better off with 10 men.

You cannot overstate the amount of damage Baird was doing to the overall team play. There were games I genuinely believe we would have been better off with 10 men.

But he worked hard. Can't fault his work rate. He was a hard worker. Gave everything he did. Worked very hard.

Just a small point, that damage, such as it was that you are discussing was done by Peter Houston, not John Baird. Please direct your ire in the right direction.

Don't agree. Think Houston was suckered into giving Baird a game due to Bairds outrage when taken off and then blame can be apportioned to both. But a bit weird being told I'm not directing my wrath enough at Houston. [emoji848]