The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, wee_bairn said:

Agree with everything from Marsh and BPM. Why would they give him more money to spunk away on average journeymen? Kidd was bought for £5k I'd heard... wildly different from your sum. Bainsfordbairn or BPM will know.

£5k was the fee for Kidd.

Strange that Falkirk have no money to improve the Squad as there home attendance is good .

Does anyone have strong opinions on where the problem lies?

Our line-up v Rangers (3-2 as an example) last season was

Rogers, Muirhead, McCracken, Watson, Leahy, Alston, Vaulks, Sibbald, Taiwo, Baird, Miller with O'Hara, McHugh and Hippo off the bench.

Only O'Hara, Vaulks and Alston are missing from that team, with Taiwo playing really well at the beginning of the season in either the Vaulks or Alston (DM/RM) role. Is a right winger really all we're missing when Alston wasn't really a right midfielder to begin with?

I just don't understand how a squad that is so decent can lose one player and go to utter sh*t. Vaulks was a stand out, but his role should easily be covered by another box to box midfielder, it was energy and not technique that made him great. Are Housties team talks falling on deaf ears after a couple of years?

Still convinced Rogers, Muirhead, Gasparotto, Grant, Leahy and Taiwo in front of them makes for a decent defense at this level. Hippo, McHugh, Baird/Miller, Sibbald should be fine as well. What type of player is the missing link between those two areas in your eyes?

1 hour ago, mad said:

St Johnstone looking at Peter Grant :) 

Hope they've got bags of cash to spend as they'll need it. The one bonus from his injury was him signing a new contract thankfully. Whilst Alston perhaps wasn't a pure right sided midfielder he still scored a load of goals. It would probably take the likes of Taiwo 4 or 5 seasons to score that many. He had the legs to run all day too. Vaulks also had a decent goal return, could go box to box and had great drive. Our current midfield lacks everything that they did well and is why we're struggling at the moment.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

vaulks and alston were the only 2 who looked like they were a level above the championship last season, They are now above the championship and we have became rotten side to watch this season , no drive, skills bravery or trickery just the very predictable runs at the back 4 then stop, pass back pass sideways ball to the byline then out cause were too slow. or a long thro into the box  we just do not look like a team that's on the up if anything were going backwards. you could even say that 3rd in the league flatters us.

I agree that the board seem happy for us to stay where we are so long as the fans dont desert the place, its very short sighted as I think we are still turning up in decent numbers because we had a good couple of seasons and there are decent teams in this league. in a couple of seasons when Dundee utd and hibs are replaced by thistle and Hamilton  wel be back to playing in front of 2.5k

I also think teams know exactly how we are going to play and can easily set up to combat our threats. We are very predictable.
We have our biggest squad for years but as many have mentioned, we have more quantity than quality.
We really look lost sometimes in games and we don't have players that can be considered as game changers on a regular basis. I think we do need to farm some players out and try to bring in a good midfielder with bags of drive and energy and another striker with genuine pace.

1 hour ago, bejazz1 said:

I also think teams know exactly how we are going to play and can easily set up to combat our threats. We are very predictable.
We have our biggest squad for years but as many have mentioned, we have more quantity than quality.
We really look lost sometimes in games and we don't have players that can be considered as game changers on a regular basis. I think we do need to farm some players out and try to bring in a good midfielder with bags of drive and energy and another striker with genuine pace.

Yep think some of the jersey fillers need to go, duno if others agree but I wonder if a good few in our squad would have been good enough for full time football say 10-15 years ago?

we should have a strong first 11 with a decent bench and the rest should be academy players. a big squad full of nobodys will just get us into money difficulties again.

No wonder, have you seen his smile? He's in the top three sexies at Falkirk, behind BSLM and Danny Rogers.

Sorry Ruggy but I'm no having that. Big Peter is an absolute dreamboat, easily second behind Big Sexy.

vaulks and alston were the only 2 who looked like they were a level above the championship last season,

Peter Grant? Easily our best player last year before his injury.

Season's gone marginally better than I thought in the summer, after the obviously horrific transfer dealings.

It's a shame Houston and the board made such a c**t of the summer given Hibs have been much shiter than expected and the league was very winnable with some investment.

Just need to try and cling on to the playoffs over the next few months even though we have zero chance of progressing through them. Think it will end up going to the last game or two with 3 teams competing for 3rd and 4th.

Hibs and Dundee U will go up this season with some dross coming down. Next summer better see a completely different approach to the squad. Shite like Craigen and Rankin filling jerseys.