The Falkirk FC Thread

I'm pretty sure that all clubs unanimously agreed the play off structure back in 2013. As a club we shouldn't be bleating about how hard done by we've been the past few years when we helped put the rules in place in the first place! The right thing to do is to assemble a squad strong enough to cope with the rules, not bitch about them.

We were not expected to be in the play off final so being there was a great achievement. Okay it was a hurdle too far and we were easily second best in the last game. The celebrations were more to do with overall effort during the year rather than the game itself. Christ I think Alan Stubbs is amongst us . You don't celebrate unless you win something boys!

You can argue about the merits, timing or otherwise of the FFC Statement however I think the initial "unanimous" acceptance of the playoff system was seen very much as a "let's get something in place then renegotiate at a later date" decision as the previous 1-up, 1-down was killing the league system. Now that time has come I am supportive of a more fair and equitable system. Fundamentally all Championship teams compete with each other in the same league, with similar orders of magnitude of sponsorship money to get promotion and/or avoid relegation; to then ask them to compete with a team from a higher league, with a different (higher) order of magnitude of sponsorship money, for promotion seems simply unfair. Combine that with the ridiculous 6 fiercely competitive (as opposed to end of season) games a team from the lower league must potentially play to achieve success, something must be done. I actually think a one-off final is just another stepping stone to the ultimate solution where the Championship teams play amongst themselves for the second promotion place, just like the massively successful English Championship system. Anyone can see that the Scottish playoff system between Championship and Premiership is deliberately weighted to protect the interests of the higher league teams and anyone who can't see that or chooses to ignore it is accepting of that fact.

7 minutes ago, Biggarbairn said:

You can argue about the merits, timing or otherwise of the FFC Statement however I think the initial "unanimous" acceptance of the playoff system was seen very much as a "let's get something in place then renegotiate at a later date" decision as the previous 1-up, 1-down was killing the league system. Now that time has come I am supportive of a more fair and equitable system. Fundamentally all Championship teams compete with each other in the same league, with similar orders of magnitude of sponsorship money to get promotion and/or avoid relegation; to then ask them to compete with a team from a higher league, with a different (higher) order of magnitude of sponsorship money, for promotion seems simply unfair. Combine that with the ridiculous 6 fiercely competitive (as opposed to end of season) games a team from the lower league must potentially play to achieve success, something must be done. I actually think a one-off final is just another stepping stone to the ultimate solution where the Championship teams play amongst themselves for the second promotion place, just like the massively successful English Championship system. Anyone can see that the Scottish playoff system between Championship and Premiership is deliberately weighted to protect the interests of the higher league teams and anyone who can't see that or chooses to ignore it is accepting of that fact.

That would be well and good if we replaced a second promotion spot with the current system. Fact of the matter ist, we went from having just the one spot, to now having 1 + the chance to go up through playoffs. Very much an improvement for Championship sides.

The very best we can hope for is the same system that is used in the lower leagues. 11th v 4th and 2nd v 3rd over two legs and judging by recent years, 11th would have nae worries.

The play off structure is a joke. 4th place in a league of 10 shouldn't have the chance of promotion. 

It should be 11th v 2nd. I'd say a 2 legged affair is fair enough. You'll never get a completely neutral venue for a start. 

Bemoaning the fact Killie have bigger resources, well Falkirk had the chance to relegate Killie a few years ago in a one off match. Killie have earned the right to be the top flight team. Look at Hibs and Accies a few seasons ago and Rangers v Motherwell. It's about who handles the occasions better not the size of the clubs resources.

Resources is one of a number of imbalances though, and combined with the number of games (potentially) required, the intensity of these games, the risk of picking up suspensions and the 2-leg nature of the "final" it all favours the team from the higher league. And why should a team from the lower league have to play off against a team from a higher league anyway? Surely they compete in the league they are in to earn promotion? The Killie game a few years ago was in the league,the same league they both started off in, not a playoff system, so your argument is null and void on that one, and while it remains a hard one to take, our final position was merited.

16 minutes ago, Biggarbairn said:

Resources is one of a number of imbalances though, and combined with the number of games (potentially) required, the intensity of these games, the risk of picking up suspensions and the 2-leg nature of the "final" it all favours the team from the higher league. And why should a team from the lower league have to play off against a team from a higher league anyway? Surely they compete in the league they are in to earn promotion? The Killie game a few years ago was in the league,the same league they both started off in, not a playoff system, so your argument is null and void on that one, and while it remains a hard one to take, our final position was merited.

But Accies beat Hibs and Motherwell destroyed Rangers, they both had much smaller resources.

3rd and 4th place should rightfully play more games, as I said it's a bit of a farce the 4th placed team in a 10 team league has a shot at promotion. Falkirk played the same number of league games as Kilmarnock? Falkirk had nearly a weeks rest at one point if I'm not mistaken? Yeah Kilmarnock knew their fate and rested players but that doesn't mean it will happen every season. It could go down to the 38th game before you know who's finishing in the play off spot.

Last season was harsh on Falkirk because it literally was just 1 game too far for them and you's done brilliant to finish 2nd against a team with much bigger resources.

I'm saying this as a fan of a team who is hoping to finish top 4 by the way, if we finish 4th I won't be complaining about the number of games we will have to play, that's what we are aiming for. It's not a hindrance it's a reward.

hate to say it but everyone here is missing the point. if you want fairness then the top 2 go up and the bottom 2 go down, that's as fair as it gets, end of story!! the clubs themselves want play offs, not because of fairness (or sporting integrity if you like) but because of the way it raises cash and publicity.

take last season, without the playoffs raith, Morton,and others would've been playing meaningless games from January onwards and crowds right through the league would've suffered, less interest, less cash. the play offs themselves generate cash through bigger crowds and also publicity and interest that league games don't get, this then theoretically should generate higher sponsorship and tv money (or would if the idiot in charge hadn't basically said it's all about the old firm not the rest #Armageddon)

that's the choice, a fairer league with the possibility of half the teams playing meaningless games for months or a more interesting but unfairer league with play offs.

as for the statement about the play offs from us, does anyone really think us v the pars in a play off semi would get anywhere near what we got in a Scottish cup semi or any play off final would get near 30,000 if hibs weren't involved? absolute nonsense.

Rewarding the 11th place is wrong, that's basically what's happening in a far greater manner that mirrors the rest of the play offs.

Perhaps 2nd v 3rd two leg affair and then a one off neutral tie v 11th and only red cards apply in play off games.

I've always been in favour of mirroring all the play offs but feel the above would get my vote. The thing about the top 4 places and bottom two area, is that most seasons the interest in each league goes to the last game, which can't be bad. It's still an improvement from the previous 1 up 1 down tho.

As for our Killie defeat, we were poor to the fact we had too many players forced to play whilst not being 100% fit, every chance a defeat would've happened still but far too many Niggly injuries curtailed us in the final parts of the season whereas we didn't have the issue at the start and mid season. No complaints tho 

Edited by MrDust

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

The play off structure is a joke. 4th place in a league of 10 shouldn't have the chance of promotion. 

It should be 11th v 2nd. I'd say a 2 legged affair is fair enough. You'll never get a completely neutral venue for a start. 

Bemoaning the fact Killie have bigger resources, well Falkirk had the chance to relegate Killie a few years ago in a one off match. Killie have earned the right to be the top flight team. Look at Hibs and Accies a few seasons ago and Rangers v Motherwell. It's about who handles the occasions better not the size of the clubs resources.

Only Scottish football could celebrate and reward failure like they do now. Killie were in the playoff final  because they had had a terrible season. Falkirk were in it because they had had a very good season. Why reward the team that's been pish by giving them less 'playoff 'games, less chance of suspensions and the advantage of playing the second leg at home. We then get the embarrassment of Kilmarnock jumping up and down behind a playoff winners placard celebrating beating a team a league below them with everything rigged in their favour to start with.

2 hours ago, Just a bairn said:

The next Scotland manager, Steven Pressley, has been outed from yet another club. I for one, am shocked by this news. 

I wish our bod had clicked that he was hopeless as quickly as Fleetwoods have. Shouldve never got the job in the first place and then it was criminal giving him again once we'd been relegated without so much as a whimper.

According to his mates Pressley saved Falkirk Football Club [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Bow down and be more grateful. I'm sure he's been harshly treated in difficult circumstances. Again.

Edited by Marshmallo