The Falkirk FC Thread

It does when you've got a small squad. Top flight clubs have far bigger budgets and therefore far bigger squads. At the end of the day it's not a level playing field simply because Killies budget would've been far bigger than ours last season. Its always going to be very difficult for the championship club. Even the fact that they automatically get the second leg at home is unfair. A straightforward draw would be much fairer.

A statement from the board designed to distract from their complete lack of ambition. Back the manager and thereby increase our chances of avoiding the play off!

Things won't change I'm afraid. I've followed Falkirk for 45 years and our board have never been quick to splash the cash. They will have looked at how close we went last season and think we can do the same again. It will be tough this year but it's early days so we will just have to wait and see how things pan out.

In their defence the last time we did spend decent money and backed a manager in the Hughes era that ended in disaster.

Things won't change I'm afraid. I've followed Falkirk for 45 years and our board have never been quick to splash the cash. They will have looked at how close we went last season and think we can do the same again. It will be tough this year but it's early days so we will just have to wait and see how things pan out.

In their defence the last time we did spend decent money and backed a manager in the Hughes era that ended in disaster.

A culmination of spending big, Setanta deal collapsing and 2 housebuilders that had sponsored us going to the way didn't help either.

Add to that paying the likes of Bullen 2k a week.

And certainly haven't spent a couple of mi ££ion in the past few years.

Not on the team but we have bought a pitch and paid off the same people whose decisions got us in the mess in the first place.

A culmination of spending big, Setanta deal collapsing and 2 housebuilders that had sponsored us going to the way didn't help either.

Add to that paying the likes of Bullen 2k a week.

I keep hearing the collapse of the Setanta deal like Falkirk were the only club that it hit.

We went wrong because of a lack of control, planing and vision.

That Falkirk statement is complete diddy.

Embarrassing.

100% spot on

That is what happens when you get a Chairman who is a former government minister (a bad one at that) in charge

Does it really make that huge of a difference when you have six days to recover?

I actually think the Rugby Park game was just a game too far. We had been going toe to toe with Hibs for three months and pulled out some unbelievable results in that time from losing positions. I think it was as much mental fatigue as much as physical. Saying all that Kilmarnock were just better than us on the Sunday, comfortably so at that.

That is horrific.

The system could be changed a bit, but I think that it's more a case of the 11th place team should have to play more to secure safety. 4th place having to play 6 games to go up is entirely fair. Falkirk didn't go up as Kilmarnock were a better side,structure had nothing to do with it.

There is no need to be afraid!

What differs for me is that unlike other eras we are not spending money we don't have. We are in an extremely healthy position & with a little bit of conviction from the board I think we would have had a pretty decent shot at automatic promotion.

However I fully except that there is a danger of overspending & I wouldn't want to put ourselves at risk. Also if a player wants to move & deserves a move then hard to stop that. Actually I wouldn't want to stop that.

Actually think I am more annoyed/disappointed at the pretence that this wasn't happening. Rankin just happened to be training with us & wouldn't you know!! Not bad to have a plan in place but to pretend otherwise irks me.

The other area that's grossly unfair is the bookings situation. Far more chance of the championship side getting players suspended for the final than the top flight side. These areas need sorted to make it a bit more of a level playing field. On saying that there's nothing worse than the losers coming out and moaning about it once they've been pumped. I'd rather we concentrated on getting a decent team on the park so we didn't need to worry about playoffs but are able to actually win the league outright. 

I actually think the Rugby Park game was just a game too far. We had been going toe to toe with Hibs for three months and pulled out some unbelievable results in that time from losing positions. I think it was as much mental fatigue as much as physical. Saying all that Kilmarnock were just better than us on the Sunday, comfortably so at that.

Totally agree.

Some of the unbelievable results due to the fact that we were actually struggling in many of those games. The late late shows masked some major weaknesses. However what a way to deal with your weaknesses!!

Kilmarnock was a result of both mental & physical fatigue but they also they out muscled us. I had hope that the one thing we would learn from that painful lesson was the need to add a bit of strength in our team. Even if we had kept Will I'm not convinced we have done that.

We lost because we were embarrassingly bad at Rugby Park. FWIW I thought the adulation shown to the team after what we'd witnessed that day was a complete riddy.

I didn't see the game but was it one of those 'unlucky boys we'll support you evermore' types?

6 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

We lost because we were embarrassingly bad at Rugby Park. FWIW I thought the adulation shown to the team after what we'd witnessed that day was a complete riddy.

I think I felt worse after that game than the cup final. It was such an utter capitulation. At least the cup final loss was caused by a couple of individual errors as opposed to just not turning up at all.

At the end of the day you'd expect Killie to beat us 9 times out of 10. Their top flight budget was far bigger than ours and they can entice better players due to them being at a higher level even if they came second bottom. The same thing happened to Rangers the year before. They didn't come close over two legs either despite having a far bigger budget than us available. As I said previously even if you had it as a one off and everything else was even the top flight side are always going to be favourites due to the simple matter of resources.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Disagree with this. Under normal circumstances I'd agree but I think the team's achievements last season did warrant that appreciation. The supporters were excellent that day - even though the team weren't. 

Christ, I just remembered how bad we were that day. Total shite.

Disagree with this. Under normal circumstances I'd agree but I think the team's achievements last season did warrant that appreciation. The supporters were excellent that day - even though the team weren't. 

Christ, I just remembered how bad we were that day. Total shite.

Agreed it was more recognition of the season as a whole.