The Falkirk FC Thread

I agree a league cup defeat to St Johnstone isn't the end of the world although it does hit home how a club of smaller support than us can be so far ahead of us in quality and ability. The question is how do we narrow a gap that at the moment certainly isn't getting any smaller and there's no real sign from the current bod that we have any real plan to do that. You don't have to be Jose Mourinho to work out that selling two of your best players and replacing them with inferior ones certainly isn't the way to go about it.

36 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Can't find the stats for assists, but last season Alston scored 10 in the league and Vaulks got 6. I'm not convinced Craigen and Rankine will make the same contribution, so it's up to other players to step up or we're in for a tough season. 

By my reckoning, Vaulks had 12 assists and Alston had 10. They were the two most prolific chance-creators in our team, along with Sibbs who also had 10. Muirhead & Baird had 8 and then on 6 were Smith, Miller & Leahy. Nobody else created more than 2, with the exception of McHugh on 3.

By my reckoning, Vaulks had 12 assists and Alston had 10. They were the two most prolific chance-creators in our team, along with Sibbs who also had 10. Muirhead & Baird had 8 and then on 6 were Smith, Miller & Leahy. Nobody else created more than 2, with the exception of McHugh on 3.

That is a lot of assists over one season between the full team, I make that 59 before you get to the 2 assist players and down?

18 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

That is a lot of assists over one season between the full team, I make that 59 before you get to the 2 assist players and down?

I'm a sad so-and-so and have an interest in Falkirk stats. Every time we score a goal I review it on FTV to see which Falkirk players was the last one to touch it before it was knocked into the net, assuming the touch was intentional. For example, if Alston wins a penalty from which Baird scored, I class that as an assist for Alston. We scored 84 goals last year and I calculated 83 of them as assists. These figures are purely for my own amusement and have nothing to do with official stats, if such a thing exists for this. And yes, Smith did have 6 assists. For example:-

25/7/15 East Fife Smith cut the ball back from the byeline for Baird to lash it high into the net.

18/8/15 Peterhead Smith put in a cross from which Cooper headed past the keeper.

22/8/15 Livingston Smith cut the ball back from the byeline for Vaulks to score.

28/8/15 Dumbarton Smith put in the cross which the defender miskicked to Alston, who scored.

12/9/15 St Mirren Smith crossed to the back post for Leahy to loop a header over the keeper

12/9/15 St Mirren Smith cut the ball back from the byeline for Baird to sidefoot into the net.

Can't believe the negativity thats come from what was essentially one woeful half against much better opposition, helped by a referee having a renegade "il clean up Scottish football" day.

This may be the wrong attitude, in fact I know it IS the wrong attitude, but I couldnt give one f**k about the league cup. Its been on life support for years and not just here, it has been devalued in England aswell. IMO the current format changes have killed it.

I dont care a jot if we go out.

Don't think it is the wrong attitude if negativity purely based on 1 poor half & a ref on a mission. However add in the Albion performance & combine that with the departure of key players who look like have been replaced with inferior players then maybe understandable there is a little negativity.

I was hugely optimistic about this season & felt that we had a created a platform to mount a serious title winning challenge but feel although it is by no means impossible now, certainly significantly more difficult with our new *Jack & Victor midfield partnership!

Lowered my expectations but maybe that a good thing.

*stole that line from someone from Twitter but I like it

I'm a sad so-and-so and have an interest in Falkirk stats. Every time we score a goal I review it on FTV to see which Falkirk players was the last one to touch it before it was knocked into the net, assuming the touch was intentional. For example, if Alston wins a penalty from which Baird scored, I class that as an assist for Alston. We scored 84 goals last year and I calculated 83 of them as assists. These figures are purely for my own amusement and have nothing to do with official stats, if such a thing exists for this. And yes, Smith did have 6 assists. For example:-

25/7/15 East Fife Smith cut the ball back from the byeline for Baird to lash it high into the net.

18/8/15 Peterhead Smith put in a cross from which Cooper headed past the keeper.

22/8/15 Livingston Smith cut the ball back from the byeline for Vaulks to score.

28/8/15 Dumbarton Smith put in the cross which the defender miskicked to Alston, who scored.

12/9/15 St Mirren Smith crossed to the back post for Leahy to loop a header over the keeper

12/9/15 St Mirren Smith cut the ball back from the byeline for Baird to sidefoot into the net.

Think you mixing up the word sad & legend! Keep em coming! [emoji106]

5 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Getting a bit boring watching Sibbald beat three men, shimmy past a fourth, loop the loop then pass the ball 5 yards to the opposition.

Having watched Sibbs yesterday at closely, it confirms what I've been saying for ages, that our team is holding him back at times

There is no doubt that he would be an even better player in a better team. He is easily our most creative player and you can sense his frustration at times when there is a severe lack of movement in front of him. 

His best position IMO is centrally off a striker. People need to start realising the bigger picture rather than trying to keep slating the boy 

Agreed, playing sibbs on the wing isn't suited to him. Houston should give him a central role and let him play freely and not have to come back and defend. I think hippo should be let loose down that left wing. He's got pace, strength and skill. Something we definitely lacked yesterday. He should be in the starting 11 for me for sure.

19 minutes ago, ToonBairn said:

Having watched Sibbs yesterday at closely, it confirms what I've been saying for ages, that our team is holding him back at times

There is no doubt that he would be an even better player in a better team. He is easily our most creative player and you can sense his frustration at times when there is a severe lack of movement in front of him. 

His best position IMO is centrally off a striker. People need to start realising the bigger picture rather than trying to keep slating the boy 

Definitely this, would like to see us line up something similar to this 

Rogers

Muirhead Gasparotto Watson Leahy

Craigen Kerr Rankin Hippolyte

Sibbald

One of the strikers, no idea who i'd prefer

Sibbs doesn't have the pace to be out wide and he seems to be the most creative player in the side. Getting him in a position where he can influence the game more will help him develop and i think suit the team better. Issue with this i suppose is playing 1 striker when there's 4 to accommodate.

How about a 3-5-2? Clearly not going to happen anytime soon but it may just suit the squad we have?

Rogers

Grant Watson Gasp
Aero Leahy

Taiwo/Craigen Kerr/Rankin

Sibbs
Austin Miller

Aero and Leahy have the legs to provide support down the flanks and would allow Sibbs to create in what's his strongest position.

How about a 3-5-2? Clearly not going to happen anytime soon but it may just suit the squad we have?

Rogers

Grant Watson Gasp

Aero Leahy

Taiwo/Craigen Kerr/Rankin

Sibbs

Austin Miller

Aero and Leahy have the legs to provide support down the flanks and would allow Sibbs to create in what's his strongest position.

I like this idea too but I reckon it's unlikely too.

Houston seems to have 2 main starting formations

Against 'better' teams- 451 with Baird up top.

Against teams we expect to beat- a narrow 442

He is good at adapting the formation during the match depending on how it's going but I don't see him deviating from those two anytime soon