The Falkirk FC Thread

Looked like school boys against men Killie were too strong. Still good season for Falkirk

In a nutshell, Killie were far too strong, even at TFS on Thursday they were faster, stronger over the park and more physical. We just could not compete. The big no 4 won everything all over the park all day, cleared out everything in front of him including anybody in his range be it a Falkirk or even a Kilmarnock player! He may have been a wee bit slower on the ground but I felt we never had any genuine pace up front apart from McHugh who never seemed to get any service where the ball was played in front of him, it seemed to be played to his feet most of the day.

To be 2 down after 8 minutes really left us with an uphill struggle, I don't honestly think I've seen the whole team look so disjointed and fragmented. Aaron Muirhead must have had his worst game for us, his distribution was very poor all over the park, felt we could have had a penalty when McCracken was pushed at 2-0 but I suppose we cannot complain as we have been on the right side of some really dubious decision over the last 3 games

I cannot believe that Kilmarnock team finished 11th in the premier. I suppose in football terms, the team that needed it more, won it...they were up for it right from square one whereas we looked slow and nervous. TBF, we have not played at our best for some time now, we looked dead on our feet. As others have said, a game to far.

Having said that its been a brilliant season for the Bairns and Houston has to take all the plaudits with his tactical know how when he's been alert and knowledgable enough to look at games and make more often than not the changes to deliver the results.

Be interesting to see what happens during the summer in and out. Rogers will be back to Aberdeen, Alston looks like played his last game, Vaulks, Sibbald, Leahy, we'll have to wait and see?

I know we have 2 signings coming in Craigen and Austin...Craigen looks to me like an Alston replacement and Austin is untried at this level. I think we need. GK, LB, RB, CB and potential midfielders depending on who leaves the club. More importantly for me is we need to be far more physical, we are too lightweight in key areas over the park. I would like to see Luke Leahy go to left mid and get a strong proper LB with a physical presence, I'm sure Luke would give us a good attacking option moving forward.

I know we have not spent any real money to try to get out of this league with Rangers in it. However, Anyone who thinks this season will be any easier needs to think again. IMO this season will be the hardest championship ever and it will take a strong good physical team with a big squad of players to win it and be ahead of Hibs and DU.

Maybe this season will be another play off target...Do we have the belief and the bottle to go for it? The summer signings will answer these questions.

Edited by bejazz1

We'll need to replace McHugh upfront. Quite happy with midfield to be honest. Maybe another creative player.

Main area is getting new GK, RB and CH. quite like the idea of Leahy playing further up the park so maybe a LB.

Has Alston actually left?

Any think we should try and sign Rogers?

What yesterday showed is we have to build a team with the aim of beating a bottom six Premiership club.

Correct

To get out of this league you merely need a team to get to the top 4 then a pool you can rotate to keep them fresh in the last 6 weeks of the regular season. The pool has to have depth and again we went into the play off light on fresh players in the end. 

We are better than we showed yesterday and playing well I believe we would have got close to them. Kilmarnock were better over the two legs but not as far in front as the scoreline showed yesterday IMO. 

As far a next season goes we need a keeper, RB, CH, some creativity and legs in midfield and I would try and bring in better than Baird. Hard as he worked since Christmas he has gone right off the boil. Houston always got a lot out of Goodwillie at Dundee Utd. I would like him to have a look at him at least. 

Not as far in front of you. They mauled you yesterday and realistically could have easily won by more.

That Falkirk squad would have finished bottom this season with a league containing Dundee United.

Not as far in front of you. They mauled you yesterday and realistically could have easily won by more.

That Falkirk squad would have finished bottom this season with a league containing Dundee United.

There is no doubt we got our arses felt yesterday but on our best from we would have got close to them, not saying we would have won but it would have been closer. We didn't show up. A number of factors. 

1. Peter Grant out means we are significantly weaker in defence. 

2. Conor McGrandles leg break toop away potentially our best player once up to speed. 

3. We have played high pressure games since mid March and ran out of gas. 

4. We had about four players all playing short of fitness yesterday. 

As far as I know, of the key players, it's only Alston that's out of contract. Obviously Rogers is gone too though.

That is correct. McCracken has played enough games to trigger a new contract I believe.