Chris Hughton...

CM.

why wer the fans soo behind him. Lets be honest the newcastle team is terrible.

Maybe that's part of it? Their squad isn't great, yet he's got them sitting 11th.

You got the feeling the players totally respected him. Think it was the Sunderland game after Nolan scored his first, he ran straight to Hughton followed by the rest of the team. In his interview afterwards Nolan said;

"We have made progress under Chris. Chris is a fantastic man, a gentleman who gets his point across believe me he is a manager, I have played for a lot of managers and he is good one."

Hope he gets a good job soon.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He walked out his last job because he had taken Villa as far as he could without significant investment. I'm pretty sure Villa were in a similar position when he went there as Newcastle are now.

He had a MASSIVE amount of investment at Villa, and did nothing more than any of his predeceasors did.

When did I say otherwise ? I said he had reached a point that he couldn't take them any further unless the board gave him the amount of money Spurs and Man City were getting. He wasn't going to get that and realised that they were about to go backwards, as this season is showing.

You can see, I'm sure, why I was a little confused...

I'd also dispute the fact that O'Neill didn't have the same level of investment as Tottenham and Man City (Man City have overtaken Villa, true, but when O'Neill was at Villa it was very similar).

He sold great players at rock-bottom prices; see Birmingham's current squad for evidence. I hate the amount of damage he could do for the long-term future of Newcastle!

Just as the NewcastleLOLZ were dying down, Ashley goes and ramps them right back up. I really can't see how you could fault Hughton for the job he's done - NUFC have played some good stuff this season, had a few great results, a few not so good ones but inconsistency is to be expected with any newly promoted side. To be 11th midway through the season is a solid performance and having seen how good they can play at times (saw them pump SUnderland and beat Everton this season) I think they could have pushed on for a steady top half finish. Binning Hughton for someone lke Pardew is utter madness, although considering the club and the Chairman, perhaps it's all that could be expected!

Feel for Hughton, a manager who the team respected, fans respected and fellow managers respected. Normally when a manager goes, some players in the team are happy about the call but I can’t see that being the case at all with this one. He will not be out of the game for long though and all the best to him. Mike Ashley once again shows contempt for the fans, managers and staff by giving no valid reason (piss off with this experienced manager shite, have the balls to make that decision at the start of the season and not halfway through.)

As for replacement, well I’ve stuck £10 on Steve McLaren to take over, @ 16/1 it’s worth the gamble.

Maybe that's part of it? Their squad isn't great, yet he's got them sitting 11th.

You got the feeling the players totally respected him. Think it was the Sunderland game after Nolan scored his first, he ran straight to Hughton followed by the rest of the team. In his interview afterwards Nolan said;

"We have made progress under Chris. Chris is a fantastic man, a gentleman who gets his point across believe me he is a manager, I have played for a lot of managers and he is good one."

Hope he gets a good job soon.

agreed.

Next stop aberdeen

Mental decision to let Hughton go. Mike Ashley clearly hasn't heard of the word stability.

Agreed. The guy wins the Championship, then has them mid-table in the Premier League - highlights include a 5-1 pumping of their rivals, a 6-0 pumping of Villa and an away win at Arsenal - and they sack him. Their results have been all over the place, but they aren't in trouble. What a crazy decison.

Martin Jol resigns from Ajax

I don't think the last four months have done his reputation any favours.

Newcastle need to go for a traditional comedy appointment anyway - how about Claude Anelka with Shearer as assistant? Two big names for a 'big club'.

I don't think the last four months have done his reputation any favours.

Were this a normal club I'd agree with you but remember, this is Newcastle. Ashley's hiring policy is based on a combination of sticking pins in the Rothman's yearbook and half-remembered snippets from late 90s Match of the Day.

Were this a normal club I'd agree with you but remember, this is Newcastle. Ashley's hiring policy is based on a combination of sticking pins in the Rothman's yearbook and half-remembered snippets from late 90s Match of the Day.

Yeah but I think Jol still has a snippet of logic behind it. They can only go for a genuine good appointment (1% chance) or a comedy appointment.

why wer the fans soo behind him. Lets be honest the newcastle team is terrible. The left back looks a player as does nolan, but there is nothing left to get excited about. The CF carroll is beyond hopeless yet he seems to have a cult following. His display yesterday put kevin kyle to shame.

Are you PerthshireBell in disguise?

I'm not sure what to make of Pardew. I had mixed feelings towards him when he was West Ham manager. Sure he got West Ham to the FA Cup Final but other than that, he achieved promotion at the second time of asking - despite having a fairly big budget for the Championship - but his record in the EPL wasn't inspiring.

I see the bookies have stopped taking bets on Martin Jol according to 5Live.

Is the Alan Pardew being linked with the job the same one who got sacked by League 1 Southampton recently and also played Mullins and Harewood instead of Mascherano and Tevez at West Ham?

That's the man.

Feel for Hughton, a manager who the team respected, fans respected and fellow managers respected. Normally when a manager goes, some players in the team are happy about the call but I can’t see that being the case at all with this one. He will not be out of the game for long though and all the best to him. Mike Ashley once again shows contempt for the fans, managers and staff by giving no valid reason (piss off with this experienced manager shite, have the balls to make that decision at the start of the season and not halfway through.)

As for replacement, well I’ve stuck £10 on Steve McLaren to take over, @ 16/1 it’s worth the gamble.

I've no idea what he's trying to do. He got the club relegated last time and it hardly did wonders for his bank balance, and he's repeated the same mistake again.

I would never have said it, but I didn't see any possibility of relegation last night, even after yesterdays performance. Remembering that Williamson, Coloccini, Barton, Nolan, Gosling and Ben Arfa were ALL out. Most teams, especially a promoted team would struggle with that number of first teamers out.

Now, I would consider relegation a probable.

Jonas Gutierrez: :"Thank you Chris Hughton for believing in us when nobody believed in us" :(

Archived