Chris Hughton...

CM.

Yip, as I just said. If Ashley is prepared to spend some money then bringing in O'Neil would be excellent. If he's not then sacking the manager is completely pointless.

I misinterpreted your opening sentence, never mind. Most of his signings were overated, overpriced shite anyway. Steve Sidwell for £5M? Nigel Reo-Cocker for £9M? I wouldn't let the man anywhere near the transfer market, he done a poor job at Villa for the amount spent.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This "it might not be a bad decision" is bullshit. They might WELL bring in a better manager, but that doesn't make this decision any less crap. Although I suppose some people accept that a manager can do as well as Hughton has done and get sacked for it.

I specifically said I felt sorry for Hughton and he has done a good job. But that doesn't mean that there aren't better managers out there.

And why ? If he brings someone else in, they finish in the top 10 this season and then improve next season how will he have made a crap decision ? :huh:

I'll judge his decision firstly by what manager he brings in, and secondly by where they finish this season, and not on sentimentality.

I know they've been on the end of a few humpings, but very few newly-promoted teams get away with no humpings on a return to the top flight.

I really do think this is a scandal though. He's got them into 11th position after gaining promotion ffs! I hope they get relegated now. That would teach the board (and that fat shite of an owner) a lesson.

No it wouldn't.

If he brings someone else in, they finish in the top 10 this season and then improve next season how will he have made a crap decision ? huh.gif

Because that would be a shit decision followed by a good one.

Sacking a manager that doesn't deserved to be sacked is a bad decision. That can't be spun in any other way. All Ashley can do now is save face by making a better decision with his choice of manager.

It's likely to be Alan Pardew for anyone wondering.

I actually thought Hughton had a done a pretty decent job, wouldn't be too surprised to see him in another job after Christmas. Out of curiosity, what were Newcastle's aims for the season? Thought 16th or higher would have seemed realistic enough

Because that would be a shit decision followed by a good one.

Sacking a manager that doesn't deserved to be sacked is a bad decision. That can't be spun in any other way. All Ashley can do now is save face by making a better decision with his choice of manager.

It's likely to be Alan Pardew for anyone wondering.

But Ashley's job is to make Newcastle as succesful as they can be. If a change of manager was to get better results then he has made a good decision to sack him. It seems the majority of people just think it's a poor decision because they, understandably, feel sorry him. But that's just football, players always get punted to bring in better players despite having done a decent job, it doesn't mean the manager is wrong to punt the player, it means he is trying to get the best results possible. Managing is no different.

Anyway, Hughton will now get a nice pay off, Christmas with his family, and then a good job where he is valued, he's done pretty well out of it.

And if it's Pardew then forget what I said, Ashley's an idiot :lol:

Newcastle have gone and lost the plot, just up from the championship sitting in 11th, better sack him

i hate newcastle but even il admit the treatment he has had recently has been disgraceful. all the speculation in the papers a few ago n so on

i'd like to ask what he's actually done wrong

It wasn't a poor decision because people feel sorry for him. It was a poor decision because he did as well as could be asked of him and he has been sacked as a reward.

If it's about Newcastle being as successful as they can be, then Ashley is deluded.

It wasn't a poor decision because people feel sorry for him. It was a poor decision because he did as well as could be asked of him and he has been sacked as a reward.

If it's about Newcastle being as successful as they can be, then Ashley is deluded.

Almost certainly, I still think people should wait a bit before laying into him though. For me he either should have kept Hughton or bring in a top manager and back him with a huge lump of cash (the only way he could really justify this decision). I get the impression that he has done/will do neither though and will probably replace Hughton with a marginally better/more experienced manager and give him about £5 million to spend. I'll wait and see though.

He walked out his last job because he had taken Villa as far as he could without significant investment.

Is that a joke?

He had a MASSIVE amount of investment at Villa, and did nothing more than any of his predeceasors did.

Not remotely surprised by that decision from a truly horrible club which has been so since the days of Stan Seymour. They are an outfit without any moral & while I cheer on every Northumbrian & Tyneside side fervently, I just can not warm to that outfit one bit. Chris Hughton has done a spledid job with a moderate squad, but that inept fat foreign* plank Ashley can't seem to see that. Hughton comes across as a decent honest bloke & with him gone I have no reason at all to wish the Maggies well. I hope there's a mass desertion from the Toon Army ranks, but Ashley does at least have the savvy to realise few will have the stomach (unlike him!) to draw the line, & thus he can get away with what he likes.

How a sizeable second club can't function in the city is beyond me, as is the mindset of the vast majority of football loving folk here in Newcastle. I admire loyalty, but the alarming way Toon fans turn up for more slaps in the face ( and they aren't just on the pitch related) year after year is baffling.

The city had a perfect opportunity to have a decent second team when Newcastle Blue Star joined the Unibond League, but often we couldn't attract 3 figure crowds & paid the ultimate price for showing ambition when folding last year.

But back to Chris Hughton, I'm sure he (and Ray Wilkins for that matter) won't be short of job offers, & the West Ham scenario painted by earlier posters would be interesting. I'm sure if Hughton came back as an opposing manager, he'd get a warm reception from the Newcastle fans, which is more than a certain Mr Michael Ashley will be getting right now.

( * = south of Darlington)

A nightmare for Hughton - although as is rarely the case when a gaffer gets punted, he can leave with his head held high. Wonder how many managers will get their jotters a few weeks after humping their rivals 5-1 a few weeks previous?

He's better off away from them, IMO. I doubt Newcastle will be better off without him, not in the short term anyway.

Is that a joke?

He had a MASSIVE amount of investment at Villa, and did nothing more than any of his predeceasors did.

When did I say otherwise ? I said he had reached a point that he couldn't take them any further unless the board gave him the amount of money Spurs and Man City were getting. He wasn't going to get that and realised that they were about to go backwards, as this season is showing. Two seasons in a row they looked like the could get 4th spot but their small squad cost them. I don't think he is as good as his pals in the media, or sellic fans, make out, but he did an excellent job there.

Archived