Defunct Clubs

shugstero

Strange having junior and amateur included in the clubs name. The AFC is not needed.

Clubs like Viewfield Rovers have fully enclosed grounds in that league was not sure if it was a requirement.

Afaik an enclosed ground was never a requirement for this league,though a grass park was...so it looks like times have moved on if they're playing on 3/4G. :(

My dad,William Moore played for Blantyre Celtic in the late 1950s/early 60s,he played in a Scottish Junior Cup 1/4 final against Thornton Hibs on March 6th 1960,I have a photocopy of the match programme,he also played for Arthurlie. I also remember Clydebank clinching the Central League 2nd division against Coltness in our 1st season back in junior football

An extract from my book 'A time in Govan'.

'Some crowds at the Scottish Juniors matches were very high and on many occasions higher than senior clubs gates. There were exceptions. Strathclyde’s home league match against Blantyre Celtic attracted a crowd of nil. The once famous Strathies had fallen on bad times and their very existence was being threatened. The day in question was one of the worst for weather and many supporters may have thought the match at Springfield Park would be off. A few spectators turned up late and were admitted into the ground free as the gatekeeper could not be bothered to re-open the pay gate. The Springfield Park ground provided a bleak background being black ash and no cover for spectators. The few spectators present huddled around the changing block. Strathclyde were having a poor season and the wee Celtic were on a good run and still interested in the Scottish Junior Cup. It was backs to the wall for the Strathies in the first half but they held on until half time scoreless. In the second half the home side improved and gave their small hard working committee something to cheer about when Freddy Falconer netted the winner. Strathclyde paid the £12 ‘guarantee to Blantyre Celtic at the end of the match.

The Springfield Park ground was well kept up although sparse. Across the road was Celtic Park and several other Junior clubs were nearby. Celtic proved to be good neighbours and always willing to help out the Strathies whenever required. They played friendly matches, supplied almost brand new football’s and training kit. A lot of other acts of kindness were forthcoming from the Parkhead club which went to keeping the Strathclyde club afloat.'

Tinto

Afaik an enclosed ground was never a requirement for this league,though a grass park was...so it looks like times have moved on if they're playing on 3/4G. :(

A few others also play on 3/4G I think. Drumchapel FP at the Donald Dewar, a few clubs such as Hamilton FP and EK YM, use Hamilton Palace (whether that's the artifical surface I do not know). Broomhouse use the Greenfield complex 4G. On the other hand, the occasional enclosed Junior ground is being used such as Overtown Thistle at Stonehouse. Balmore have moved on from there to a public park in Law.

At the end of the day, the Caledonian League is losing members to the Central Scottish on an almost annual basis. The Scottish AFL likewise. To attract / maintain teams, they're having to adjust their standards I suppose.

Edited by cmontheloknow

• 5 months later...

I remember seeing Clackmanan, Tulliallan & Halbeath.

I remember Halbeath playing a Scottish Cup Quarter Final at Central Park in 1979 against Pollok, still have the programme. They were quite a successful team at that time with quite a few of their squad going senior eventually packed up around 91 or 92.

Sorry but you wouldn't still have that programme would you? Am looking to find the history of the Halbeath juniors, it's been tough

Edited by Daleseath85

ba768dc4-604b-4843-b391-fa15e4ca7e51_zps6e4cd6a9-10c6-43b6-ade7-fda87afdc97a_zps

Tinto, what paper is that? If I'm reading that article right it says they beat the Rose 4 1 in 1965. I demand a retraction and apology. Fuckin Real Madrid wouldn't have beaten that Rose team 4 1- never mind Baillieston. Outrageous!

What are the chances of Ballieston Juniors ever coming back into the junior game???

Is that the hopes of whoever is running the amatuer team?? Or are they just happy enough to continue playing in the amateur leagues??

Surely be great for the local community to have a junior team in the area again....

What actually happened at Luncarty? Was it another case of “big money†getting involved and then the money men walking away after they got bored? I remember reading that there 5 or 6 “investorsâ€.

Pretty much, apparently they're back next season as Luncarty ASC, just have to wait and see.

There's an ASC FC in the Perthshire Ams. A merger?

I don't know the full story, but been told ASC are moving to Juniors and will be playing in Luncarty.

• 7 months later...
Anyone out there remember Frances Colliery junior team from the Fife Junior League I think they folded in the 1970's any  information would be appreciated.

I was sorting out some stuff last week and there was definitely something in amongst it about them as well as many other defunct clubs, will have a look tomorrow and see what info there is.

Turns out all I've got on Frances Colliery is a match report from a Junior Cup tie in January 1969, Petershill winning 3-1 in the 3rd Round at Petershill Park.

I was sorting out a load of stuff that was passed onto me in the summer, here's some of the other defunct teams that are mentioned, mostly in match reports.

Bonnybridge
Aberdeen Balgownie
Aberdeen Rosemount
Ardeer Recreation
Baillieston
Blantyre Celtic
Bridgeton Waverley
Buckie Rovers
Burnbank Athletic
Dennistoun Waverley
Douglas Water Thistle
Dundee United Juniors
Duntocher Hibs
Halbeath
Kilmarnock Juniors
Leven
Maryhill Harp
Mount Ellon United
New Stevenson United
Parkhead
Polkemmet
S.S. & E. Athletic
Shawfield
Stonehouse Violet
Strathclyde
Twechar United

Interested to see you have included a team from Twechar in your list, there certainly was one pre WW2 but didn't think they played junior post war. One that definitely did was Croy Celtic although I think it could not have been for more than a year or so. Another few that played well into the 50's are Alva Albion Rangers, Forth Rangers and Grange Rovers who amalgamated to become Grangemouth United, all gone now. Markinch Victoria Rangers was another from Fife.

If you want to go pre WW2 there are dozens of others who never survived the war, Bannockburn, Bedlay, Scottish Dyes (also from Grangemouth) and plenty more. Falkirk Juniors also, who only lasted a couple of years more recently was another.