Defunct Clubs

shugstero

We played Balbeggie a while back in the scottish...drove past the park a few times b4 we found it cos it wiz just like a farmers field roped off then my dad had 2 chase the sheep off the park b4 kick off only a boy then but remember it well it wiz like the back of beyond

Nice to see youse went somewhere youse felt at hame !!!!!!!!!!! Hope you left the sheep alone !!!!!

We played Balbeggie a while back in the scottish...drove past the park a few times b4 we found it cos it wiz just like a farmers field roped off then my dad had 2 chase the sheep off the park b4 kick off only a boy then but remember it well it wiz like the back of beyond

Brings back memories of an early 80's vivit with the Meadow up to Muirkirks old ground,2 old guys shooing the sheep off the park and shovelling the shit into a barra 10 mins before kickoff.

Maud were in abeyance for a season and have been back for a number of years.

Rosslyn Sports and Mugiemoss joined forces to become Dyce Juniors.

I remember 25th Old Boys,Balgownie,Portgordon[who have indicated they will come back next year] Aberdeen Lads Club,Inverurie Juniors[Colony Boys Club are considering applying to come into the SJFA next season on the same pitch]Rosemount-who became Rosslyn Sport, Cattofield,Hall Russells,St Clements, among the teams in the North Region.

Its good to see some new applicants coming forward despite the amount of travel within the Region.

P.S. I am sure I have missed a few, so please add any.

Aberdeen Bon Accord went bust after Brian?? Keith went to montrose, think a new club play at the ground now Hillhead??? was at keith park just after it was built, Tulliallan (sp) thistle, the ground is still there in Kincardine villiage but with the opening of the clackmannan bridge kincardine is a wee place dying

I remember seeing Baillieston in the Junior Cup Final in 1965 when the Rose won the cup for the first time. I was just a nipper, like. We hammered them 4-1 with them getting a consolation in the final minute. They were quite a big name to disappear and I always thought they'd come back but they haven't.

I remember us losing to Halbeath in the Scottish in a bit of a shock result.

I also remember beating Comrie 8-0 in a Scottish tie. What I remember about that game was my mate going to get the pies and us scoring 5 goals in a 10 minute blitz while he was in the queue and not able to see the match properly..

Iremember Bo'nesss playin Halbeath,Coltness and Comrie,but most of all i remember Wee lexi scorin the best goal ever seen at Ibrox against Bailleston in 1984.

Out of the original list (and are properly defunct - we played Forfar Albion earlier this year in the EoS Cup), Haddington have played against Balbeggie (lost at home in the Scottish - an upset I believe), Bonnybridge, Caberfeidh, Clackmannan, Comrie, Jubilee, Halbeath, Leven, Polkemmet and Tulliallan. Bonnybridge and Polkemmet were League sparring partners on many occasions.

Edited: I'll have just missed out on seeing Bonnybridge, but the others are well before my time watching Haddington

Edited by The Old Northerner

Iremember Bo'nesss playin Halbeath,Coltness and Comrie,but most of all i remember Wee lexi scorin the best goal ever seen at Ibrox against Bailleston in 1984.

Saw that goal on you tube was a brilliant goal , was lexi blind in one eye ? Sorry if I got that wrong

I remember seeing Clackmanan, Tulliallan & Halbeath.

I remember Halbeath playing a Scottish Cup Quarter Final at Central Park in 1979 against Pollok, still have the programme. They were quite a successful team at that time with quite a few of their squad going senior eventually packed up around 91 or 92.

Baillieston, Coltness, St Joseph's are the ones i remember. Were st josephs not a big side at one point?

They rose from no where in the early 90s when the Marr's pumped a good few quid into them signing a lot of ex senior players. When the Marr's moved to Dundee they eventually went tits up.

Recall seeing a fair few games at "The Bowl" home of Perth Celtic.A public thoroughfair which the home team roped off and expected you to pay biggrin.gif .

And Balbeggie in the farmers field.

Oh ! Just remembered,I've played on both.Jeez,I'm gettin old sad.gif

This link has already been posted I'm sure, but ...

Renfield Park, Balbeggie

http://il.youtube.co...h?v=6MxnzfwspLE

Plenty of other grounds featured

Balbeggie's ground was Redfield Park, not Renfield Park.

A unique venue in the middle of nowhere. A bit like Tarff Rovers of the South Seniors.

Elmwood still play in the Tayside Amateurs. Jubilee Athletic became Rosyth Juniors. Comrie Colliery folded in the late 80s before Steelend Vics re-emerged in 1995 to use their old ground.

Also saw Stobswell on numerous occasions - their ground is still used for Amateur football. Another team I saw on occasions was Grangemouth Rovers who folded around 1980 - no connection with the earlier Grangemouth United. They played at the Grangemouth Sports Stadium.

I've just been reading A Centenary History of Scottish Junior Football Published in 1986,there are a few clubs in there that have went defunct since that year,i can remember seeing 1 or 2 and where they played,does anyone else have any stories or recollections of them? Aberdeen Bon Accord,Arbroath Vics,Baillieston,Balbeggie,Blantyre Celtic,Bonnybridge,Cabarfeidh,Clackmannan,Coltness,Comrie,Coupar Angus,Crombie,Cuminestown,Downfield,Elmwood,St Josephs,Jubilee Athletic,Forfar Albion,Glenboig,Halbeath,Leven,Maud,Perth Celtic,Polkemmet,Rosslyn,Tulliallan. No doubt i've missed a couple and maybe 1 or 2 are still going( my apologies). Personally i remember seeing Baillieston,Balbeggie,Bonnybridge,Coltness,Downfield and Jubilee Athletic.

Four Fife ones not listed, Benarty , Castlehill, Frances (Colliery), Valleyfield and I think Crieff Earngrove ?

The Glencraig (Celtic?) one I believe was Ore Park there must be many more as most villages had a team but maybe not in living memory.

These are still going, I think Rosslyn = Rosslyn Sports (an Aberdeen team ) changed their name.

You're right Beastie that there was a team from Eberdeen called Rosslyn Sports but the original Rosslyn were from Dysart (not Kirkcaldy!!) Not sure where the name 'Rosslyn' came from. There's still a Rosslyn Street in the Gallatown area of Kirkcaldy and I mind years ago my uncles used to scoop in the long departed Rosslyn Bar. Pretty sure my old man celebrated my birth there but obviously my memory from that day is a wee bit blurred. Rosslyn lost 2-1 to Glasgow Perthshire at Tynecastle in the semi of the Scottish Junior Cup in 1931. Must've been a decent side then. You watching Robroyguy? Here endeth tonight's second history lesson for you!!

Bonnybridge folded about 10 years ago,down to lack of bodies.Was kept going for years by the Connell family,most notably Ruby!.There is a strong boys club set up that is based at the Duncan Stewart ground,and I know that they have spoken about trying to go junior again.

The youth player hasn't Lawrence Haggart was it?.Lawrence was 15 and on Celtics books when he was murdered in 1996.

There is a boys club set up. One of their teams did well and won lots of throphies last season. They then later got caught cheating by playing more than 20 overage players during the season. Coaches pleaded guilty, but in true SFA style got told they were naughty and are no doubt running teams again.

Maybe the Fife / Tayside region guys can help I am sure there was a club which preceded the now Tayport juniors and played in the Fife League for a season or so.

Tayport had two amateur teams.One played in Dundee leagues and the other in Fife. (Pretty sure the Dundee one was the stronger side) The other team from that neck of the woods was North Fife (played junior from 1977-79). Not sure where they played. Some reckon Newport and others say it was Tayport. Maybe superbigal can shed some light.

Tayport had two amateur teams.One played in Dundee leagues and the other in Fife. (Pretty sure the Dundee one was the stronger side) The other team from that neck of the woods was North Fife (played junior from 1977-79). Not sure where they played. Some reckon Newport and others say it was Tayport. Maybe superbigal can shed some light.

North Fife thats the one played on a pitch way up on a hill, probably not in Tayport, well done with that response, will wait for superbigal to give us the accurate lowdown.