Defunct Clubs

shugstero

I am doing that anarak thing of trying to remember and record all the football grounds I have been to. Footballgroundmap.com is a good site to do this albeit a bit slow. I was looking through the list of defunct teams but could not find any reference to Insch Juniors.  Can anyone confirm Insch had a junior team in the North Region? Might have been the nineties. Google has been no help so maybe my mind is playing tricks.

49 minutes ago, Strathman said:

I am doing that anarak thing of trying to remember and record all the football grounds I have been to. Footballgroundmap.com is a good site to do this albeit a bit slow. I was looking through the list of defunct teams but could not find any reference to Insch Juniors.  Can anyone confirm Insch had a junior team in the North Region? Might have been the nineties. Google has been no help so maybe my mind is playing tricks.

I stayed in digs here about 2007 and there is a park that would pass as a junior ground.

Using the same Recreation Park ground on the northern edge of town as the current Insch team play on in the Aberdeenshire Amateurs. It's one of the better AAFA venues but wouldn't pass the criteria for today's Juniors.

Insch Juniors finished third in the 1991-92 season.

3 hours ago, Strathman said:

I don’t really like that site, the guy’s obviously focussed on English football, especially the 92 and everything else seems to be an afterthought so looks incomplete. I can recommend the groundhopper app by Kepermat which is run by two Norwegian guys. It lets you input grounds including demolished ones, and you can add photos. They can be a bit slow to respond at times but usually get round to it - not sure if they gave up their jobs as the app has really taken off.

Cheers lads.  There must be a few more clubs  that have folded since this thread started. Bishopmill United and Steelend Vics are two that come to mind.

Been to steelend with lochee united years ago in the Scottish. Braw wee ground. Some setting the park is in

• 11 months later...

Hello everyone my brother Michael Fascione played with both Blantyre Vic's and Blantyre Celtic in the 1961-63 era at vice and Blantyre Celtic in 1965-66 and myself with Blantyre Celtic left back and Captain 1966- 1969, back amateur for a season then signed with Thorniewood United midfield and striker 1971 -73.

I am having greatest difficulty getting local newspaper photos of us and game reports die to local papers being displaced along with Library records,I would appreciate any team photos and newspaper cuttings of myself and brother and will pay for any copies of photos etc and postage.

Thank you,

Vincent Fascione

On 19/08/2019 at 18:16, Wee Vinnie said:

Hello everyone my brother Michael Fascione played with both Blantyre Vic's and Blantyre Celtic in the 1961-63 era at vice and Blantyre Celtic in 1965-66 and myself with Blantyre Celtic left back and Captain 1966- 1969, back amateur for a season then signed with Thorniewood United midfield and striker 1971 -73.

I am having greatest difficulty getting local newspaper photos of us and game reports die to local papers being displaced along with Library records,I would appreciate any team photos and newspaper cuttings of myself and brother and will pay for any copies of photos etc and postage.

Thank you,

Vincent Fascione

Have a look in the Evening Times archive Vincent.  All the Saturday night football papers are here.  You know you are at a Saturday date if the next day has no Evening Times (it's a Sunday!).

Just pick the decade, year, month etc from the drop down menu at the top left.

When on a Saturday, scroll right through to the football edition as it starts with the early Saturday edition.  And hit the wee magnifying glass to make it bigger.  You'll get loads like this which I found by just picking a random Saturday in August 1966.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2mus-XyGPC0C

bc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This week’s Blether With Brown in the Tele has a story that mentions  “A few years later, he stepped up to the juniors with new club Hydro Dynamo FC. When they folded a few years later, I asked him to become my No 2 at Broughty Athletic JFC, a post he accepted.”

I’ve never heard of a Hydro Dynamo in Dundee junior football. Is he getting mixed up with an amateur club?

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/blether-tayside-footballer-ian-receives-telegram-from-the-queen/

• 1 year later...

Am doing a bit of research into clubs with links to ICI (don't ask!).

One of which, of course, was Ardeer Recreation, who folded in the late 1960s.

Recreation initially played on Recreation Park.  Is this still a a place?  I know there is an Ardeer Recreation Bowling Club, with some football pitches next to it.  But on another website, someone states:

"Ardeer Recreation played at the Rec stadium which I remember as being in very good condition, the grandstand being over the wall from Higher Grade school."

Was Recreation Park and, what is now, Ardeer Stadium one and the same place?

Thanks

Ian

4 hours ago, Ian38018 said:

Am doing a bit of research into clubs with links to ICI (don't ask!).

One of which, of course, was Ardeer Recreation, who folded in the late 1960s.

Recreation initially played on Recreation Park.  Is this still a a place?  I know there is an Ardeer Recreation Bowling Club, with some football pitches next to it.  But on another website, someone states:

"Ardeer Recreation played at the Rec stadium which I remember as being in very good condition, the grandstand being over the wall from Higher Grade school."

Was Recreation Park and, what is now, Ardeer Stadium one and the same place?

Thanks

Ian

Ardeer Recreation FC played at Recreation Park. In 1953 the ground was re-named Ardeer Stadium when Ardeer Thistle started to play there as well.  Ardeer Rec were formed in 1928 and joined the Scottish  Junior League in the 1930/31 season before moving to the Western League in the 1931/32 season where they continued playing in the Junior grade up to and including the 1967/68 season when there was a re-organisation in the league structure. The club did, however, continue in the amateur ranks until 2004.  Ardeer Thistle continue playing at Ardeer Stadium. The stadium was a regular choice for local cup finals and it was also used by the Western League select team. The grandstand was destroyed in a fire in 1974.

A young Bobby Lennox played for the club before going on to fame with Celtic and Scotland. Ian Campbell went on to win 12 Amateur caps as a Queen’s Park player.   John Smith won a Junior Scotland in 1950 whilst at the club. 

I am not sure whether there was a restriction on signing players not employed by ICI.  I know that one of the club’s longest-serving players was Bobby Currie who worked as a plumber at the plant. I came across details of the ICI national football competition in which the Ardeer plant competed.

The club was particularly strong during the Second World War with, I assume, many employees being in reserved occupations.  They won the following honours:

1939-40 Western League Cup

1940-41 Moore Trophy

1941-42 Western League Championship and League Cup together with the Moore Trophy

1942-43 Western League Championship

1943-44 Western League Championship

1944-45 Western League Championship

1946-47 Moore Trophy and Vernon Trophy

I am aware of current clubs Billingham Synthonia (established in 1923 and playing in the Northern League) and Runcorn Town (established in 1968 and now playing in the North West Counties League) that can trace their origins back to ICI. There are probably others that you have found. Good luck with your research!

Edited by bluedragon

Thanks very much, sir.  That is all very useful.

I am just wondering about Ardeer Thistle part of your info.

i had always thought they continued at Ardchoille Park up until 1972 or so.

(But this is not quite my area of knowledge)

Ian

14 hours ago, Ian38018 said:

Thanks very much, sir.  That is all very useful.

I am just wondering about Ardeer Thistle part of your info.

i had always thought they continued at Ardchoille Park up until 1972 or so.

(But this is not quite my area of knowledge)

Ian

Apologies you are correct.  After Ardeer Thistle re-formed after the War they initially played as Juveniles using the local school pitch.  Ardchoille Park was developed ready for the 1951/52 season and the club entered the Western League.  Transforming the ground was a huge task but despite all the efforts there were drainage issues and Thistle may have played some matches at Recreation Park/Ardeer Stadium but Ardchoille Park was their home.

1 minute ago, bluedragon said:

Apologies you are correct.  After Ardeer Thistle re-formed after the War they initially played as Juveniles using the local school pitch.  Ardchoille Park was developed ready for the 1951/52 season and the club entered the Western League.  Transforming the ground was a huge task but despite all the efforts there were drainage issues and Thistle may have played some matches at Recreation Park/Ardeer Stadium but Ardchoille Park was their home.

No apology required.

Thank You for your help

Ian