Defunct Clubs

shugstero

I've just been reading A Centenary History of Scottish Junior Football Published in 1986,there are a few clubs in there that have went defunct since that year,i can remember seeing 1 or 2 and where they played,does anyone else have any stories or recollections of them? Aberdeen Bon Accord,Arbroath Vics,Baillieston,Balbeggie,Blantyre Celtic,Bonnybridge,Cabarfeidh,Clackmannan,Coltness,Comrie,Coupar Angus,Crombie,Cuminestown,Downfield,Elmwood,St Josephs,Jubilee Athletic,Forfar Albion,Glenboig,Halbeath,Leven,Maud,Perth Celtic,Polkemmet,Rosslyn,Tulliallan. No doubt i've missed a couple and maybe 1 or 2 are still going( my apologies). Personally i remember seeing Baillieston,Balbeggie,Bonnybridge,Coltness,Downfield and Jubilee Athletic.

I've just been reading A Centenary History of Scottish Junior Football Published in 1986,there are a few clubs in there that have went defunct since that year,i can remember seeing 1 or 2 and where they played,does anyone else have any stories or recollections of them? Aberdeen Bon Accord,Arbroath Vics,Baillieston,Balbeggie,Blantyre Celtic,Bonnybridge,Cabarfeidh,Clackmannan,Coltness,Comrie,Coupar Angus,Crombie,Cuminestown,Downfield,Elmwood,St Josephs,Jubilee Athletic,Forfar Albion,Glenboig,Halbeath,Leven,Maud,Perth Celtic,Polkemmet,Rosslyn,Tulliallan. No doubt i've missed a couple and maybe 1 or 2 are still going( my apologies). Personally i remember seeing Baillieston,Balbeggie,Bonnybridge,Coltness,Downfield and Jubilee Athletic.

downfield are still going had a wee visit up there last year with cambuslang

I've just been reading A Centenary History of Scottish Junior Football Published in 1986,there are a few clubs in there that have went defunct since that year,i can remember seeing 1 or 2 and where they played,does anyone else have any stories or recollections of them? Aberdeen Bon Accord,Arbroath Vics,Baillieston,Balbeggie,Blantyre Celtic,Bonnybridge,Cabarfeidh,Clackmannan, Coltness,Comrie,Coupar Angus,Crombie,Cuminestown,Downfield,Elmwood, St Josephs,Jubilee Athletic,Forfar Albion,Glenboig,Halbeath,Leven,Maud,Perth Celtic,Polkemmet,Rosslyn,Tulliallan. No doubt i've missed a couple and maybe 1 or 2 are still going( my apologies). Personally i remember seeing Baillieston,Balbeggie,Bonnybridge,Coltness, Downfield and Jubilee Athletic.

These are still going, I think Rosslyn = Rosslyn Sports (an Aberdeen team ) changed their name.

dont quote me too much on this but am pretty sure that bonnybridge.arbroath vics.maud..downfield..coupar angus ..cummnistown all still going.. they were all still going after the book published in 86 thats for sure

Edited by gingerblastie

These are still going, I think Rosslyn = Rosslyn Sports (an Aberdeen team ) changed their name.

They merged with another club and changed their name to Dyce.

Jubilee Athletic relocated to Rosyth and were called Rosyth Recreation for a while before dropping the Recreation.

We played Balbeggie a while back in the scottish...drove past the park a few times b4 we found it cos it wiz just like a farmers field roped off then my dad had 2 chase the sheep off the park b4 kick off only a boy then but remember it well it wiz like the back of beyond

We played Balbeggie a while back in the scottish...drove past the park a few times b4 we found it cos it wiz just like a farmers field roped off then my dad had 2 chase the sheep off the park b4 kick off only a boy then but remember it well it wiz like the back of beyond

The dugouts were made out off fence panels and there was an orchard next to it. If I remember it was foggy, damp and as you say in the middle of nowhere. Halbeath was next to Dunfermline's ground and the boundary fence was made out of old doors. It was pissing with rain and the Talbot fans were sliding down the grassy terrace every time they put a foot in the wrong place.

I remember watching the Roy play coltness , ballieston , tulliallan , and I remember as a youth playing at glenboig juniors old ground , the local youth team used it , I think its still there , not sure if its still being used though

Someone mentioned bonnybridge juniors , when did they Cease to exist? , I remember playing there youth teams and they were all excellent sides at the time ,

Edited by robroyguy

I remember watching the Roy play coltness , ballieston , tulliallan , and I remember as a youth playing at glenboig juniors old ground , the local youth team used it , I think is still there , not sure if its still being used though

Someone mentioned bonnybridge juniors , when did they Cease to exist? , I remember playing there youth teams and they were all excellent sides at the time ,

Was not that long ago, could not tell you exactly how long though.

And yes, they did have an excellent set-up.

It's a shame the park is only used for the neds getting pissed now though

terrible , what did they win mate ? I remember as a youngster playing there youth team and the best young player I have ever seen in my life played for them , a lad who would tragically be murdered before his true potential could be realised ,

They were around for the 1999/2000 season certainly as those are the last recorded games against Haddington in the old East Dustrict Division 1. The story I've heard (I think it was in Graeme McGinty's Statistical History but stand to be corrected) was lack of people to help run the club when the old guard began to retire

terrible , what did they win mate ? I remember as a youngster playing there youth team and the best young player I have ever seen in my life played for them , a lad who would tragically be murdered before his true potential could be realised ,

Bonnybridge folded about 10 years ago,down to lack of bodies.Was kept going for years by the Connell family,most notably Ruby!.There is a strong boys club set up that is based at the Duncan Stewart ground,and I know that they have spoken about trying to go junior again.

The youth player hasn't Lawrence Haggart was it?.Lawrence was 15 and on Celtics books when he was murdered in 1996.

Bonnybridge folded about 10 years ago,down to lack of bodies.Was kept going for years by the Connell family,most notably Ruby!.There is a strong boys club set up that is based at the Duncan Stewart ground,and I know that they have spoken about trying to go junior again.

The youth player hasn't Lawrence Haggart was it?.Lawrence was 15 and on Celtics books when he was murdered in 1996.

Cracking player. My Dad had him at Denny boys club years ago. Stood out a mile smile.gif

I remember seeing Baillieston in the Junior Cup Final in 1965 when the Rose won the cup for the first time. I was just a nipper, like. We hammered them 4-1 with them getting a consolation in the final minute. They were quite a big name to disappear and I always thought they'd come back but they haven't.

I remember us losing to Halbeath in the Scottish in a bit of a shock result.

I also remember beating Comrie 8-0 in a Scottish tie. What I remember about that game was my mate going to get the pies and us scoring 5 goals in a 10 minute blitz while he was in the queue and not able to see the match properly..

Yeah it was snowy,the lad was same age as me his nickname was hags , as i said the name of club sticks in my mind as that is who he played for , I remember when we played them there was around 50 scouts at the match watching one lad alone , such a shame nobody kept a club who obviously produced excellent players of various ages going

Edited by robroyguy