Defunct Clubs

shugstero

I loved the old Petershill Park and it's such a shame to have lost it to the new soulless.atmosphereless set up which feels like a kick about at a sports centre rather than a match.A busy Peasy park in days gone by was a cracking venue.

There really was nowhere quite like Petershill park in the 50's. Filled to near capacity, close to ten thousand for a league game with Kilsyth Rangers as opponents for a decider to determine who would be Central League champions. Petershill on a run of 48 games unbeaten at home, Kilsyth with one of their greatest ever teams. The Result?

Petershill 0 Kilsyth 5. All of this on a Monday evening, what I would give to be able to relive that moment.

Just wondering if anyone would have known my dad. He played for Dreghorn 1950s his name was Robert Weir. I'm just trying to gain an insight into my dad as a player, he went from there to Killwinning Rangers. Would be grateful for any information or even the odd picture which may be still in exsistance.

I may have limited info on your dad's spell with Kilwinning Rangers and possibly a photo. I won't be able to check until early next week though. I've sent you a PM and you can also contact me via the link to the Meadow Forum on shannon's post. Edited by poity_uk

Raked out some old slides and did some scanning:

EDIT - Yes I know it's about defunct clubs and there's a grounds thread somewhere....

Bonnybridge v Bonnyrigg

post-23798-0-25910900-1445022495_thumb.j

Baillieston v Shotts

post-23798-0-29126400-1445022506_thumb.j

Southcroft Park

post-23798-0-42304800-1445022514_thumb.j

Victoria Park, Newtongrange

post-23798-0-01027600-1445022525_thumb.j

Petershill v Pollok 1999

post-23798-0-81011300-1445022541_thumb.j

Eastfield, Penicuik

post-23798-0-04640600-1445022533_thumb.j

Edited by The Mantis

Going by an old article about Bailleston Juniors in the Evening Times, sure the original plan was to move the ground into land between Garrowhill and Easterhouse behind what was then called Smillie's Garage.

Think a five a side outfit have been on the site now for years.

Pity it never came off.

Baillieston Juniors in name live on, originally as a boys club but now they have a team in the Caledonian Amateur League. Their 21s team played out of Priory Park in Blantyre and the amateur side are at the Drumpellier playing fields in Coatbridge.

Edited by cmontheloknow

Baillieston Juniors in name live on, originally as a boys club but now they have a team in the Caledonian Amateur League. Their 21s team played out of Priory Park in Blantyre and the amateur side are at the Drumpellier playing fields in Coatbridge.

Baillieston Juniors AFC....does they A stand for Amateur ?. Do they have an enclosed ground.?

Baillieston Juniors AFC....does they A stand for Amateur ?. Do they have an enclosed ground.?

Yes it does,and no they don't. :)

Eta I've checked the Caledonian site to see exactly where they play as the Drumpellier grass pitches are gone,and they ain't showing in any of the leagues,or indeed in the Central Scottish,though Baillieston Thistle play in GGP league. :(

Edited by tommyboy

Eta I've checked the Caledonian site to see exactly where they play as the Drumpellier grass pitches are gone,and they ain't showing in any of the leagues,or indeed in the Central Scottish,though Baillieston Thistle play in GGP league. :(

http://www.caledonianafa.org.uk/website/index.php/league-tables/first-division

Bottom of Div 1A. They only entered that set-up this year after their 21s squad became overage.

The postcode is on the CAFA site is that of the old Drumpellier pitches - I don't know Coatbridge

and didn't know it was now St Ambrose HS - I assume there's a 3/4G there and that is what they use.

Edited by cmontheloknow

http://www.caledonianafa.org.uk/website/index.php/league-tables/first-division

Bottom of Div 1A. They only entered that set-up this year after their 21s squad became overage.

The postcode is on the CAFA site is that of the old Drumpellier pitches - I don't know Coatbridge

and didn't know it was now St Ambrose HS - I assume there's a 3/4G there and that is what they use.

Yup,I see them there bud.* Like I said,the grass parks are gone and the school and its sports facilities,which include an enclosed 3/4 g,have taken their place, a move which triggered all sorts of protests from local residents at the time.

* Small doh! :Phttp://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/schools-set-built-drumpellier-country-2833346

Edited by tommyboy

Strange having junior and amateur included in the clubs name. The AFC is not needed.

Clubs like Viewfield Rovers have fully enclosed grounds in that league was not sure if it was a requirement.