Defunct Clubs

shugstero

Very informative post burn thanks ! Mind you I am in shock kilsyth actually used to thrash someone !

My, you've got a very short memory. Just go back a few seasons before the the two Johns raised you from the dead and you'll find the Roy couldn't buy a win against us!

Four Fife ones not listed, Benarty , Castlehill, Frances (Colliery), Valleyfield and I think Crieff Earngrove ?

The Glencraig (Celtic?) one I believe was Ore Park there must be many more as most villages had a team but maybe not in living memory.

The pitch that Glencraig played on is Ore Park, Benarty had one season in the juniors then amalgamted with

Lochore Miners Welfare, the 2 clubs agreed to change the name back 2 Lochore Welfare,

North Fife played at the Waterstone Crook in Newport-on-Tay.

I remember going there to see a game between Dundee United and East Fife to open the ground when North Fife were elected to the Juniors, in 1977.

It is actually Waterston Crook but whos pedantic tongue.gif and fair enough most people call it waterstone.

I play 5 asides their on a Thursday Night.

It used to have an Airdome structure and the place is still affectionately known as "The Dome"

Newport Amateurs sometimes play on the "Top Park" that was fenced of for a couple of years when Chris Symes who ran the centre started North Fife Juniors.

I believe their only win in the 1st season was a 1-0 victory over Dundee FC in a friendly. Cant say how shittt they were as a couple of friends slightly more senior than me played for them cool.gif

I certainly used to watch them as a young kid living in the village.

My, you've got a very short memory. Just go back a few seasons before the the two Johns raised you from the dead and you'll find the Roy couldn't buy a win against us!

1 win for kilsyth in 11 matches , some of those before the two john's took charge , those 11 matches go back 6-7 years , before that i remember the matches were fairly even certainly not ' couldnt buy a win against us ' as you put it

before the two johns came in we were in central 1st and super 1st harley on deaths door as a club tongue.gif

ps hows yous coping with the snow out in no mans land

Strange that no-one from the West has come on to mention the many clubs from in and around Glasgow which have gone. Personally I have been at Strathclyde (very close to Celtic Park), Parkhead Juniors (their old ground used by Celtic until new training facility at Lennoxtown opened. Shawfield Juniors (very close to Shawfield stadium as name inplies, Maryhill Harp, Bridgeton Waverly (played at Carntyne dog track latterly). Dennistoun Waverly (just behind the big bakery in Duke St), Duntocher Hibs (played at Glenhead), Clydebank in their previous incarnation as a Junior club at Kilbowie. Blantyre Celtic (also played at a dog track, later as a speedway venue). Gourock Juniors (played at Battery park, still there and supposedly Greenock and the Port will play there when Ravenscraig is to be renovated). Also been to Cowal Stadium, home of shortlived Dunoon. In the East, what about Forth Rangers and Grange Rovers who amalgamated to become Grangemouth United, they went defunct sometime in the 70's I reckon. Also Alva Albion Rangers, we used to regularly thrash them in the Stirlingshire Cup. Blairhall Colliery, we played in the Scottish in the mid 50's, Bonnybridge, been there a few times, I think Steins Thistle, an Amatuer club named after the brickworks played there for a while after the juniors gave up. It was the death of Ruby Connell that finished them I think, her son Davie was our manager in the mid ninties for about three seasons, and an excellent manager he was too.

Ruby passed away a short time back however the lady and her family had practically run Bonnybridge for many years before handing over the reins, although Ruby and her family continued to support the club at every opportunity, The club under a revamped committee then entered a very succesful phase and were quickly promoted and became a threat to the bigger clubs in that region with I think a best finish 3rd in the top division and a couple of major cup finals, around that time all three Wilcox brothers played Davie, Gary and Gordon. David Wilcox went on to manage the team although the success could not be maintained. The club then lost a couple of extremely influential committee people and unfortunately folded shortly after.

The pitch that Glencraig played on is Ore Park, Benarty had one season in the juniors then amalgamted with

Lochore Miners Welfare, the 2 clubs agreed to change the name back 2 Lochore Welfare,

Benarty played at Dallas Doyle Park on Navitie Park, home I believe of the current Benarty Amateurs.

Benarty played at Dallas Doyle Park on Navitie Park, home I believe of the current Benarty Amateurs.

Thats correct m8, Benarty Amateurs have decided to pack in so dallas doyle is not getting used at the moment.

its a shame cos its a nice pitch wi good changing facillities,

• 1 month later...

Cracking player. My Dad had him at Denny boys club years ago. Stood out a mile smile.gif

He was a good pal of mine...great player and died only a few days after he got his first Scotland cap....he would've been 30 today. RIP mate.

He was a good pal of mine...great player and died only a few days after he got his first Scotland cap....he would've been 30 today. RIP mate.

touching post , to my shame i was about to say can you no f**k off back to your own forum too ,

i started talking about bonnybridge junior team , which reminded me of when we used to play bonnybridge youth team a cracking team they had back then with the stand out player being haggy , we had stephen crainey (scotland celtic , leeds , and now blackpool player) and he always said to me haggy would of played for scotland and a top team and that he was a far better player than he was , and thats saying something

without doubt the best youth player i have ever seen to this very day , and the best youth player my manager had seen in some 40 years of experiance at that level.

the fact the boy would have been 30 today aswell so very sad , RIP haggy

• 3 years later...

Bump

They rose from no where in the early 90s when the Marr's pumped a good few quid into them signing a lot of ex senior players. When the Marr's moved to Dundee they eventually went tits up.

The Joey's well before pre-tits up days. http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/sport/blether-with-brown/blether-with-brown-st-joseph-s-on-tactics-board-for-semi-final-1.603793

I will quote you and say that The Downfield, Arbroath Vics and Cupar Angus are definitely still going

What an uninformed stupid thread this is that shugstero started !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coupar Angus are no more.

Vics are still going. It was Arbroath SC (Sporting Club) who went defunct.

Extract from 'A Time in Govan'. book.

All royalties from the book will be donated to the Preshal Trust in Govan.

The Scottish Junior Cup was again well followed. A 4th Round tie when St.Roch’s entertained Cambuslang Rangers. 6,500 turned up including Celtic manager Jimmy McGrory. The match had an ‘old firm’ feel and the black ash pitch made control of the ball difficult. The wee ‘Gers built up a big 3 goal lead but two late goals from the Candy meant they were hanging on at the final whistle.

In the semi final they had another ’old firm’ feel about their match against Dundee St.Joseph at Muirton Park, Perth.

The Joey’s were cheered on by their followers and made a bright start. However, they were to see Cambuslang Rangers take the lead with an overhead kick on 13 minutes. Tees had the ball in the net again but was ruled offside. In the second half Tees tried a fierce shot from the edge of the box and the ‘wee Gers’ were in their comfort zone. Dastry added a third from the penalty spot to confirm a place in the final. However, the Dundee side never gave up and Reid had the ‘Joey’s’ singing with a consolation goal. However, Cambuslang followers were to have the last cheers as Tees dived to head in number 4 and a fifth was scored just on time

RESULT: DUNDEE ST.JOSEPH’S 1 CAMBUSLANG RANGERS 5

Ashfield lined up against Dunbar United in the other Scottish Junior Cup semi final at Tynecastle Park, Edinburgh. On their passage to the semi final Ashfield overcame a stormy tie with Arthurlie in a match that was not concluded.

In the 5th Round tie a tight match was taking place at Dunterlie Park, Barrhead. The local side Arthurlie had a large support at the match against Ashfield and they were in a high state of excitement. With twenty minutes to go Ashfield were awarded a penalty. The kick was taken and the ball struck the post. The referee ordered a re-take as an Arthurlie player was in the area. The second kick was taken and scored. At this point the referee was attacked from both ends of the ground and he was moved to an adjacent fence for his protection from about 100 spectators.

He was, with the help of Arthurlie officials and a local policeman, smuggled into the changing rooms where he was locked in for his own protection. Several Arthurlie fans were subsequently arrested and three sent to jail for 60 days.The match abandoned with 20 minutes left was awarded to Ashfield.