Defunct Clubs

shugstero

Saw that goal on you tube was a brilliant goal , was lexi blind in one eye ? Sorry if I got that wrong

Aye yr right about that mate,he was blind in 1 eye,he got the 2nd goal that day aswell,andy walker and crawford baptie played for bailleston that day.

North Fife thats the one played on a pitch way up on a hill, probably not in Tayport, well done with that response, will wait for superbigal to give us the accurate lowdown.

North Fife played at the Waterstone Crook in Newport-on-Tay.

I remember going there to see a game between Dundee United and East Fife to open the ground when North Fife were elected to the Juniors, in 1977.

There is a boys club set up. One of their teams did well and won lots of throphies last season. They then later got caught cheating by playing more than 20 overage players during the season. Coaches pleaded guilty, but in true SFA style got told they were naughty and are no doubt running teams again.

Dotman,theyre not known as the durty bonnybrig for nothing!.

Aye yr right about that mate,he was blind in 1 eye,he got the 2nd goal that day aswell,andy walker and crawford baptie played for bailleston that day.

My old man was at that game ah a neutral , thought he was just making it up !

My old man was at that game ah a neutral , thought he was just making it up !

You're right Beastie that there was a team from Eberdeen called Rosslyn Sports but the original Rosslyn were from Dysart (not Kirkcaldy!!) Not sure where the name 'Rosslyn' came from. There's still a Rosslyn Street in the Gallatown area of Kirkcaldy and I mind years ago my uncles used to scoop in the long departed Rosslyn Bar. Pretty sure my old man celebrated my birth there but obviously my memory from that day is a wee bit blurred. Rosslyn lost 2-1 to Glasgow Perthshire at Tynecastle in the semi of the Scottish Junior Cup in 1931. Must've been a decent side then. You watching Robroyguy? Here endeth tonight's second history lesson for you!!

Im sure we played them 81/82 season,beating them 3-0 at home,but they were called Rosslyn Rosemount.

The memory of that game was when the two treasurers were settling up.At the time it usually was a straight case of the home team paying for the visitors bus.We were expecting a bill of £100,£120 tops,they hit us with a bill for £300!.After impromptu committee meeting they were told £150 take it or leave it.Turned out they were booked in for an overnight stay in Glasgow. :o

We played Elmwood in the Scottish in 2001, drew 3-3 there after they fought back and won 1-0 at home. They had Brazil strips!

One name that stuck out for me from old teams was Hydro Dynamo, a short-lived side in Tayside. Played in Dundee though, half expected them to be from Shetland or something. Dundee (Ozzy) Osbourne played on the game ground as them maybe (late 70's - 80's)

Edited by Sunrise

I saw Crombie Sports around 1991-92. They played at Grandholm Park in the Tillydrone area and I'm sure they wore blue and white hoops like Morton or Killie at the time. I think I was about 25% of the crowd as well. I think they left the Aberdeen Juniors shortly after.

I also saw Cuminestown play away to Lewis United and Sunnybank around that time too. They were fairly crap and played in all green and at one point had a father and son playing together (43 year old Roddie McDonald and 16 year old Roddie Junior) They were always getting threatened with being thrown out of the Juniors because of an overhanging tree at one of the goals at their ground.

Bonnybridge usually had a Wilcox in their team as there were a number of brothers called Wilcox who played for the club. Duncan Stewart Memorial Park was midge central too!

Nice recollections here lads,Ayrshire has only lost 1 team in recent(comparitive) memory that was Dreghorn Juniors in 1974ish or thereabouts i'm not old enough to remember them as i was just a young lad then with no interest in junior football at the time,i think the new part of the A71 Kilmarnock to Irvine dual carriageway passes through the ground they had now.

Theres quite a few interesting pieces of information in this book,for example it used to be the case that all the local finals were played on the same day! Here's the results for some of them from Sat June 3rd 1933.

East Fife Cup- Denbeath Star 2 Rosslyn Juniors 3

Maryhill Charity Cup- Ashfield 3 Petershill 1

WOS Consolation Cup- Cambuslang 2 Kilwinning Eglinton 0

Dundee Telegraph Cup- North End 3 East Craigie 2

Lanarkshire Cup- Wishaw 4 Burnbank Athletic 1

Musselburgh Cup- Tranent 4 Newtongrange 1

West Fife Cup- Inverkeithing 2 Hearts of Beath 1

WOS Cup- Strathclyde 3 Rob Roy 1

North Eastern Cup- St Anthony's 3 Glencairn 1

Victory Consolation Cup- Baillieston 2 Milngavie 2

Smyllum Cup- Shawfield 4 St Roch's 1

Elder Hospital Cup- Benburb 3 Clydebank 1

Renfrewshire Cup- Neilston Vics 2 Neilston 3

Rothesay Charity Cup- Rothesay Royal Vics 5 Bute Athletic 0

Glasgow Cup- Cambuslang 1 Ashfield 0.

As you can see some teams managed to field 2 teams on the same day must've had big squads or different kick off times!

The weather was just as bad then too as the following snippet will confirm,The Sunday Mail reported that on the 8th Feb 1931, 2 of Grantown on Spey's players walked 3 miles from Glenmore to Grantown with snow 2 feet deep on the roads,in order to join their teammates at 10pm for the long trip to Rothesay for a 5th round junior cup tie v Rothesay Royal Vics,all in vain though as after the 14 hr journey the team suffered a 5-1 loss,makes todays players seem like a bunch of pansies eh!

The 1st floodlight junior game in Dundee was on Wed 18th of Oct at Gillburn Park in front of 1000 people,St Joseph's beat Carnoustie 4-1.

In the 1960's Beith centre forward Willie McManus scored 7 goals on his debut v's Kilwinning Rangers,only for Beith to lose 8-9!

Oh well no football this weekend never mind i'm reading a good book!

Edited by shugstero

I've just been reading A Centenary History of Scottish Junior Football Published in 1986,there are a few clubs in there that have went defunct since that year,i can remember seeing 1 or 2 and where they played,does anyone else have any stories or recollections of them? Aberdeen Bon Accord,Arbroath Vics,Baillieston,Balbeggie,Blantyre Celtic,Bonnybridge,Cabarfeidh,Clackmannan,Coltness,Comrie,Coupar Angus,Crombie,Cuminestown,Downfield,Elmwood,St Josephs,Jubilee Athletic,Forfar Albion,Glenboig,Halbeath,Leven,Maud,Perth Celtic,Polkemmet,Rosslyn,Tulliallan. No doubt i've missed a couple and maybe 1 or 2 are still going( my apologies). Personally i remember seeing Baillieston,Balbeggie,Bonnybridge,Coltness,Downfield and Jubilee Athletic.

Having looked through the list, i know Cumnock have played Baillieston, Cabarfeidh & Coltness in Scottish or West of scotland cup-ties and i am sure others will say we also played some of the others as well.

My memory of Bailieston was playing at their ground, Station Park i think it was called, and there was a near riot during and after the game which was sparked off by a snowball fight which got out of hand when somebody threw a snowball with a stone in it which split a boys head open.

Caberfeidh played against Cumnock in the Scottish back min the 80's ( i think) and my abiding memory was of Cumnock being up about 8 or 9 nil and a big bearded guy standing behind the goals at one end of the park shouting " Come on Caber, yir no beat yet"

Cumnock played Coltness in a cup tie ( not sure if Scottish or West) when one of the finest players we ever had, and arguably one of the best central defenders the junior game has seen, got a bad injury from which he really never recovered as he was (IMO) not the same player after this happened. The player in question was big Paul Anderson, a great player and a thoroughly nice guy.

One last team i can through into the list is Ormiston Primrose who played Cumnock in the 1989 Scottish Cup final and i think are now an amatuer team in the East of Scotland leagues

I can recall playing against quite a few of the teams already mentioned with Comrie and Balbeggie being 2 of the strangest settings for football grounds I ever experienced with one a farmers field and the other in the shadow of the pit heads. I can also add Loanhead Mayflower who folded sometime in the 60's to the list

Largs only drew with Coltness away in the West in 1991 (in the days of replays) and won the replay. We went on to win it that year! These weird scores can still happen with wee teams.

Caberfeidh got trounced 13-0 I think by Cumnock - they never won a junior cup tie.

dont quote me too much on this but am pretty sure that bonnybridge.arbroath vics.maud..downfield..coupar angus ..cummnistown all still going.. they were all still going after the book published in 86 thats for sure

I will quote you and say that The Downfield, Arbroath Vics and Cupar Angus are definitely still going

What an uninformed stupid thread this is that shugstero started !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Spiders_Man

I will quote you and say that The Downfield, Arbroath Vics and Cupar Angus are definitely still going

What an uninformed stupid thread this is that shugstero started !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha spot on mate lets talk about all the teams that are.nt defunct

ok then- Preston Athletic defected from the East Juniors to the East of Scotland League c.1994 and can still be found infesting Pennypit Park, Prestonpans (although tbf they were the only team to take more than a single goal off Gretna during Gretna's run to the Scottish Cup Final so take that Heart of Midlothian!)

Strange that no-one from the West has come on to mention the many clubs from in and around Glasgow which have gone. Personally I have been at Strathclyde (very close to Celtic Park), Parkhead Juniors (their old ground used by Celtic until new training facility at Lennoxtown opened. Shawfield Juniors (very close to Shawfield stadium as name inplies, Maryhill Harp, Bridgeton Waverly (played at Carntyne dog track latterly). Dennistoun Waverly (just behind the big bakery in Duke St), Duntocher Hibs (played at Glenhead), Clydebank in their previous incarnation as a Junior club at Kilbowie. Blantyre Celtic (also played at a dog track, later as a speedway venue). Gourock Juniors (played at Battery park, still there and supposedly Greenock and the Port will play there when Ravenscraig is to be renovated). Also been to Cowal Stadium, home of shortlived Dunoon. In the East, what about Forth Rangers and Grange Rovers who amalgamated to become Grangemouth United, they went defunct sometime in the 70's I reckon. Also Alva Albion Rangers, we used to regularly thrash them in the Stirlingshire Cup. Blairhall Colliery, we played in the Scottish in the mid 50's, Bonnybridge, been there a few times, I think Steins Thistle, an Amatuer club named after the brickworks played there for a while after the juniors gave up. It was the death of Ruby Connell that finished them I think, her son Davie was our manager in the mid ninties for about three seasons, and an excellent manager he was too.

Strange that no-one from the West has come on to mention the many clubs from in and around Glasgow which have gone. Personally I have been at Strathclyde (very close to Celtic Park), Parkhead Juniors (their old ground used by Celtic until new training facility at Lennoxtown opened. Shawfield Juniors (very close to Shawfield stadium as name inplies, Maryhill Harp, Bridgeton Waverly (played at Carntyne dog track latterly). Dennistoun Waverly (just behind the big bakery in Duke St), Duntocher Hibs (played at Glenhead), Clydebank in their previous incarnation as a Junior club at Kilbowie. Blantyre Celtic (also played at a dog track, later as a speedway venue). Gourock Juniors (played at Battery park, still there and supposedly Greenock and the Port will play there when Ravenscraig is to be renovated). Also been to Cowal Stadium, home of shortlived Dunoon. In the East, what about Forth Rangers and Grange Rovers who amalgamated to become Grangemouth United, they went defunct sometime in the 70's I reckon. Also Alva Albion Rangers, we used to regularly thrash them in the Stirlingshire Cup. Blairhall Colliery, we played in the Scottish in the mid 50's, Bonnybridge, been there a few times, I think Steins Thistle, an Amatuer club named after the brickworks played there for a while after the juniors gave up. It was the death of Ruby Connell that finished them I think, her son Davie was our manager in the mid ninties for about three seasons, and an excellent manager he was too.

Very informative post burn thanks ! Mind you I am in shock kilsyth actually used to thrash someone !

Edited by robroyguy

Remember losing 5-0 to Baillieston in 1980 Junior Cup Quarter Final.

We were 3-0 down after about 10 mins, people were still coming into the ground and on seeing Beith kicking off thought they had made kick off only to find out it was the fourth time Beith had kicked from the centre circle!!

We played Aberdeen Bon Accord in 19996/97 drawing 2-2 at Bellsdale and winning 4-3 at their ground despite being 3-1 down and down to 9 men.

Think that may have been their last season.

Also remember beating Blantyre Celtic 3-0 at Bellsdale but not sure of season, think it was in early rounds of the Scottish round about the early to mid 80's.

Lastly remember playing Coltness in 1989/90 and winning 2-0 despite missing a first half penalty.

Edited by pccabe

steins home ground is in allandale they have played the odd game at duncan stewart park