The Walking Dead

King Kebab

My favourite character is Negan, tbh. The show's always been much better when he features majorly in an episode, especially once Rick was away.

He also featured in my 'worst ever' TWD moment - in one of the season finales. Rick chases him into a field that has 1 single tree in, yet still gets caught by surprise when Negan jumped out from behind that tree 🤣

2 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

My favourite character is Negan, tbh. The show's always been much better when he features majorly in an episode, especially once Rick was away.

He also featured in my 'worst ever' TWD moment - in one of the season finales. Rick chases him into a field that has 1 single tree in, yet still gets caught by surprise when Negan jumped out from behind that tree 🤣

Yeah mine too.

I would just like him to go aff his nut one last time.

6 hours ago, Pepper said:

No we're nearing the end what are peoples defining moments from the show? For me, and in no particular order, they include the following;

1. Rick leaving (obviously) - everything post Rick should be considered a TWD spinoff IMO. No Rick = No TWD

2. Killing Carl - I know the actor had outgrown the character but for me the show had always been about Rick's struggle to protect his family. Lori's death was necessary to progress the story, but killing off Carl was a big mistake, and a total waste.

3. Ezekeil and Shiva - the moment the show jumped the shark for me - it had never felt like the adaptation of a comic up until that point - just no. 

4. Favourite Character - Merle - brilliant - Michael Rooker is a great actor. His redemption arc was very satisfying.

I've no idea how they're going to wrap this up tbh. I just hope the focus isn't all on the new strain of smart zombies. 

Totally agree on the kingdom being pish that changed the whole tone. The whole sort of medieval aesthetic that came along shortly after was shite. 

Merle was great. 

Disagree on Rick though, thought his character had got tedious way before he left. 

I thought the second season, on the farm, was the highlight. The slow build in the tension up to the barn bit, then the power struggle between Shane and Rick all in southern gothic style was magnificent. 

On 15/11/2022 at 20:51, Boghead ranter said:

Bad Negan was a phenomenal character, Wanabee Dad of the Year Negan not so much. Him turning Heel again would be a great ending but that would put paid to any spinoff with Maggie - not happening. 

19 hours ago, coprolite said:

Totally agree on the kingdom being pish that changed the whole tone. The whole sort of medieval aesthetic that came along shortly after was shite. 

Merle was great. 

Disagree on Rick though, thought his character had got tedious way before he left. 

I thought the second season, on the farm, was the highlight. The slow build in the tension up to the barn bit, then the power struggle between Shane and Rick all in southern gothic style was magnificent. 

I agree to an extent about Rick, and I think a big part of that was a result of killing off Carl. He was never the same. 

The lead up to finding Sophia in the barn was tremendous TV. Agree Shane V Rick was great. The farm stiff gets a lot of stick but I enjoyed it too. 

They should have upped the danger from the zombies years ago IMO. I know the main threat has moved on to the other survivors but getting caught out but the same shuffling zombies in the most implausible situation got boring fast. I suppose the closest we got was the Whispers, but I just couldn't take to Samantha Morton.

Edited by Pepper

No we're nearing the end what are peoples defining moments from the show? For me, and in no particular order, they include the following;

1. Rick leaving (obviously) - everything post Rick should be considered a TWD spinoff IMO. No Rick = No TWD
2. Killing Carl - I know the actor had outgrown the character but for me the show had always been about Rick's struggle to protect his family. Lori's death was necessary to progress the story, but killing off Carl was a big mistake, and a total waste.
3. Ezekeil and Shiva - the moment the show jumped the shark for me - it had never felt like the adaptation of a comic up until that point - just no. 
4. Favourite Character - Merle - brilliant - Michael Rooker is a great actor. His redemption arc was very satisfying.

I've no idea how they're going to wrap this up tbh. I just hope the focus isn't all on the new strain of smart zombies. 

Coral being killed off has been one the few decent things the writers have done in recent years. The character wasn't so much an issue for me than the actor. Chandler Riggs was just absolutely awful. He wasn't a great child actor and got considerably worse as he grew older. I expect he'll disappear from 'Hollywood' soon enough. Compare him to the actress playing his on screen sister and it's night and day. I think she's terrific and has a decent future if she wants it.

As someone said, I found Rick becoming tedious as well tbh. Old school Rick when he went badass was great but much like every other character, the writers did a great job turning him boring.

For me the moment I'll never forget from TWD was Sophia coming out that barn as a walker. It was a great time in the show as there was little in the way of safety, the producers hadn't made anyone safe, they didn't announce actors signing up for another couple of years thereby relieving any tension from the show and seeing a kid turn into a walker was pretty brutal IMO. I just thought it was a hauntingly brilliant bit of television.

He also featured in my 'worst ever' TWD moment - in one of the season finales. Rick chases him into a field that has 1 single tree in, yet still gets caught by surprise when Negan jumped out from behind that tree [emoji1787]

This is another pet hate of the show for me. I've yet to actually see a silent walker on the show and yet how many times has a character almost been bitten by one creeping up on them? Mon tae f**k!

I suppose I'll be sad to see it end as I'll have nothing to moan about now but I really don't care all that much for the characters so it'll be interesting to see if they draw any emotion from me next week when they kill one or two of them off. I don't think I've ever watched a programme as long where I've had genuine rage for the writers/producers. Pretty much for the reasons above. They've played it so safe for the majority of the show and even when a main character has been killed off they've eased us into it rather than just randomly kill off a big character. They've also turned what were interesting characters into absolute bores. Michonne being the best one: totally mysterious and a badass to begin with and her latest episodes were her pretty much crying all the time. Carol another: a downtrodden abused wife who finally stood up for herself and became a massive character only for her to put us to sleep in any scene she features now.

I could probably do it for everyone tbh. I don't think it'll be a satisfying ending tbh.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Coral being killed off has been one the few decent things the writers have done in recent years. The character wasn't so much an issue for me than the actor. Chandler Riggs was just absolutely awful. He wasn't a great child actor and got considerably worse as he grew older. I expect he'll disappear from 'Hollywood' soon enough. Compare him to the actress playing his on screen sister and it's night and day. I think she's terrific and has a decent future if she wants it.

Yeah Chandler Riggs was a pretty awful child actor who turned into  terrible adult one. When Negan first meets Carl he's supposed to be blown away by this gun totting badass kid - it just doesn't have the same effect when the actors are almost the same height! 

Series 5 Rick was superb but by the time he left he was becoming tedious but he definitely needs to come back for the end of this season.

Negan is the only reason I kept watching tbh. Top tier.

The early years of the show was really top TV, have been going back and watching it over the last few weeks building up to the finale, the amount of times Glen has a baseball bat makes the season 7 opener make sense.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

As a stand alone episode it wasn't bad. As a Series Finale, as expected: pish.

You shouldn't have to watch spinoffs to get a conclusion to a 12 year show ffs.

I disagree, it was never going to “end” When 3 spin offs are happening next year.

Pacing was really good but do wish previous episodes had similar pacing leading up to this one right enough.

I disagree, it was never going to “end” When 3 spin offs are happening next year.
Pacing was really good but do wish previous episodes had similar pacing leading up to this one right enough.
That's my point though. It's an absolute farce that we need to watch spinoffs to get an ending to a Series that's had over a decade to conclude. They're changing the name but they're still absolutely milking TWD cash cow.

I thought it was a decent enough ending considering they'd kind of backed themselves into a corner with what they could do, even if it was quite predictable on the whole. 

Regardless, a pat on the back to us all for making it to the end after 12 years. 

Will definitely watch the Rick spin off series. 

I'm a bit annoyed they didn't try and conclude anything though. It was all about setting up the spinoffs. Would have been nice to get at least some closure or answers.

The first ten minutes was peak TWD nonsense too - Judith regaining consciousness out of the blue after being shot and managing to fight off a walker and block the hospital door, and the two no mark characters who were randomly brought back for the sole purpose of being killed off. 

Gabriel letting people in to safety rather than locking them was aa nice touch. 

At least we got to see how Rick's boots got back to Oceanside. 

Hmm.

My wife and I, like the opinions on here, were very split.

I would have liked a bit more conclusion, but it's now left open for spin offs, and although I'm not entirely happy. I know why they had to that, but will everyone know about the spin offs?

Still, there's always Fear.

All in all a great series of programmes, looked forward to it every year, and we have bought quite a few of the graphic novels over the years.

Look forward to the spin offs now.

59 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Is fear worth watching? Might give me something to tide me over until The negan/Maggie spin off.

Yeah, it's pretty good with some good characters and a couple you will recognise from TWD, gets a bit tedious though (spoiler) in bits but picks up again.

Spoiler

Hal? records people's stories. Can get annoying and tedious, but this is about 5 series in.

Edited by johnnydun

7 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

Is fear worth watching? Might give me something to tide me over until The negan/Maggie spin off.

I've watched the first 6 series and will get on to series 7 soon. As mentioned it's pretty good and has at times over the last few years been better than the main show. 

Currently watching The World Beyond which is not so good and it's no surprise it was cancelled. 

8 hours ago, Pepper said:

I'm a bit annoyed they didn't try and conclude anything though. It was all about setting up the spinoffs. Would have been nice to get at least some closure or answers.

The first ten minutes was peak TWD nonsense too - Judith regaining consciousness out of the blue after being shot and managing to fight off a walker and block the hospital door, and the two no mark characters who were randomly brought back for the sole purpose of being killed off. 

Gabriel letting people in to safety rather than locking them was aa nice touch. 

At least we got to see how Rick's boots got back to Oceanside. 

The most ridiculous bit was when Rosita fell back into the zombies and somehow managed to fight them all off, although they did redeem themselves a bit with the bite.