Arbroath fans

I bought some old programmes the other day and there was an Arbroath v Motherwell SC 1978 one in amongst them, it lists a Tom Cargill in the team lines. Is this the same Tom Cargill that taught PE at Montrose Academy?

I bought some old programmes the other day and there was an Arbroath v Motherwell SC 1978 one in amongst them, it lists a Tom Cargill in the team lines. Is this the same Tom Cargill that taught PE at Montrose Academy?

Still is a PE teacher, it wasen't him.

No, after looking I realised that, he's not old enough to have made his debut in 1966.

Believe he played cricket for Arbroath though.

Think he played junior for the Vics or SC.

As has been suggested already, I think Tam Cargill was a joiner. He stayed up the top half of Gallowden Road, and owned Dorwards Bar in the West Port during the late 80's/early 90's.

I believe that John Fletcher (who played for the lichties during the 70's) was a PE teacher at Montrose Academy.

Tam Cargill. What a player he was too.I grew up watching him in the great team with; Masrshall, Rylance, Milne, Fletcher, Sellars, Yule,(Bone & Penman at one time),Joe Carson, Albert Kidd( who destroyed Hearts SPL title ambitions on the last day of the season), Lindsay Kydd, Pirie, and many others over the years. Tom wwas a big lad but had great feet and read a game very well. I later bumped into him as a financial adviser in Abu Dhabi about 6-years ago( amazing) although I believe that he has recently gone back to Scotland. Think he left Abu Dhabi just as quickly as he left Scotland to go there in the first place :-)) Nice lad though and I have great memories of his footballing skills.

Tam Cargill. What a player he was too.I grew up watching him in the great team with; Masrshall, Rylance, Milne, Fletcher, Sellars, Yule,(Bone & Penman at one time),Joe Carson, Albert Kidd( who destroyed Hearts SPL title ambitions on the last day of the season), Lindsay Kydd, Pirie, and many others over the years. Tom wwas a big lad but had great feet and read a game very well. I later bumped into him as a financial adviser in Abu Dhabi about 6-years ago( amazing) although I believe that he has recently gone back to Scotland. Think he left Abu Dhabi just as quickly as he left Scotland to go there in the first place :-)) Nice lad though and I have great memories of his footballing skills.

• 2 years later...

Probably my favourite non-St Mirren player ever. How he never did more in the game I'll never know . He had a good job outside of football so maybe in the comfort zone !

• 1 year later...

The Tom Cargill you bumped into in Abu Dhabi was not the Tom that played for Arbroath. He was his cousin who played for Arbroath SC and Arbroath Vics and was a postman in Arbroath, locally known as Postie Tom. Previous to going to Abu Dhabi he had been an insurance agent in Carnoustie then bought the old Royal Hotel bar in Arbroath and turned it into a café bar named Madisons. He also had the old Dorwards bar and Quaich in west port and bank street in Arbroath.

The Tom Cargill that played for Arbroath was a joiner for his father's firm of joiners in Marketgate and is a totally different person. As far as I know he has always lived in Arbroath.

The Tom you mention is now living in Dundee with his Chinese wife? running a burger bar type of thing called Scottish and Chinese cuisine.

Archived