How did you propose?

DarkBlue62

Yes. It's the right thing to do.

If some wee fanny proposes to my daughter when she is older without asking me first, I'll be moderately annoyed.

You see i disagree. I wont be asking the faither although i would ask him after the question has been popped to make sure he approves. It aint going to be something id rush into so its not as if he wont be able to judge what kind of guy i am. As i said i want it to be off the cuff so nothing pre-arranged.

If i have a daughter id be judging her man all along and whether i like him or not isnt going to be decided if he asks permission. It is a clever thing to do to get his approval mind.

Wonder if many faithers have said 'nut'.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I asked her dAd about a week before hand outside tottenham cemetery randomly. Then that Christmas eve the tree was all lit up and shimmery and a few candles had been lit it was all very cozy I told her to shut her eyes and hold out her hand whilst I dropped to one knee and whipped out a random ring. Her response was are you serious before the penny dropped that I was. Needless to say we were down the jewellers first thing boxing day to spunk a frightning amount on a ring

We went for a walk across the Forth Road Bridge (my suggestion) and I stopped halfway to tie my shoelace. She asked me what I was doing because I was taking ages and I popped the the question.

This was similar to how I asked my girlfriend to marry me, only it was on a bridge in Aberdeen. I had to wait until the prostitute walked past before pretending I was tying my lace.

I hadn't actually met my girlfriend's dad when I asked her to marry me as her family live down south, but the first time I met him, I asked him. I'd like to be asked if I had a daughter, so thought that it was the best thing to do. He was great about it, we got slightly pissed afterwards. :lol:

We went for a walk across the Forth Road Bridge (my suggestion) and I stopped halfway to tie my shoelace. She asked me what I was doing because I was taking ages and I popped the the question.

Not an entirely romantic location but I had to make sure I got her out of Fife before officially asking her.

You should have fucked her off it. You'd be out by now.

Why are people asking the father? It's the daughter you're wanting to marry, and if she wants to marry you then fine. If the faither says no are you going to say, "Oh alright then, I won't bother?"

It's the daughter's decision if she's going to say yes or not, f**k all to do with her old man.

I understand having a chat in advance maybe, along the lines of I'm going to ask your daughter to marry me, but not asking if you can ask.

In the car park of our local pub. Was planning to propose inside the pub where all our friends had gathered (they assumed just for a night out). I shat it and went out to meet her in the car park, half cut (at least) and proposed there.

My ex's dad was terrifying he works as a bouncer/security guard and really didn't like me from what vibes I could get from him.

If I was every to marry her I'd likely bottle it and get her to ask him for me if it was sound if I married her laugh.gif Romance....

Not an entirely romantic location but I had to make sure I got her out of Fife before officially asking her.

Imagine the awkwardness if you dropped the ring and it rolled off the bridge into the water laugh.gif

:lol:

Did any of you who have done it asked their dad for permission? :unsure:

A tricky proposition if your proposing to a Fife lass ;)

I proposed while we were stretched out on the sofa watching Eastenders. After 3 weeks. Without asking her Dad first.

Married for 10 years in May :o

A tricky proposition if your proposing to a Fife lass ;)

I proposed while we were stretched out on the sofa watching Eastenders. After 3 weeks. Without asking her Dad first.

Married for 10 years in May :o

Clever. :rolleyes:

She's English tho. :ph34r:

Because you don't know how traditional they might be. If it's there only daughter I imagine they would see her gettingarried as a big step and in a strange old fashioned way they are watching her take a big step into the next chapter of her life. Or it could be they are claiming some sort of benefit on her behalf and he cam pre empt the dss

A tricky proposition if your proposing to a Fife lass wink.gif

Married for 10 years in May ohmy.gif

So far, this is the best proposal.

All that down on one knee, taken out for dinner, evening walks puke.gif

My ex's dad was terrifying he works as a bouncer/security guard and really didn't like me from what vibes I could get from him.

If I was every to marry her I'd likely bottle it and get her to ask him for me if it was sound if I married her laugh.gif Romance....

My ex's dad died whilst I was going out with her so at least I'd of had the slight advantage of not needing to ask for his permission :unsure:

and no that wasn't meant in a bad way

When i got engaged to my ex it was after three years together.

it was on our 3 year aniversary (i had asked her MUM for permission the month before).

she wasnt too well at the time, so we couldnt go out, could do much indoors either and i had been waiting for the best opportunity to pop the question.

needless to say, we swapped aniversary presents (her idea), she had got me a psp and about 6 games, i had got her a set of crystal lead drinking glasses (2 of ;) ) and a bottle of bubbly to pour in it. which we duly did.

obv at this point she was thinking she had spent best part of £200 on me and i had skimped on her...

as i had said she wasnt well and she was feeling rather emotional, so she hadnt quite noticed i had got down on one knee. was gettting the ring out my pocket , when the cat decided she was wanting to play, so mid semi prepared speech / comforting her cause she was upset, i am having to deal with a psycho jealous cat trying to get the ring box out of my hand.

i eventually blurted out the "marry me" part of the speech.

got her a ring with two diamonds (april is when we got together and got engaged. the month stone is diamond) and aquamarine for her birthstone.

needless to say me arguing with a cat while trying to propose got me a yes and a ribbing for the next 12 months or so .

sadly it went wrong after a year and we parted ways.

c'est la vie

Archived