Sign in to follow this  
xbl

May 2011 Election

498 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Politics Subforum anyone? :ph34r:

Yes. p&b can be the crucible of political discussion.

Another bit of trivia, that I already kind of knew but didn't put together:

http://www.newsnetscotland.com/scottish-politics/2413-scottish-economy.html

However, few folk seem to have noticed that all three finance spokesmen for the big Unionist parties were also kicked out by the voters on election night. So it’s goodbye to Labour’s Andy Kerr, Tory Derek Brownlee, and the Lib Dems’s Jeremy Purvis.

:lol:

Another bit of trivia, that I already kind of knew but didn't put together:

http://www.newsnetscotland.com/scottish-politics/2413-scottish-economy.html

IIRC the reason Derek Brownlee lost his seat was because the Tories (ironically) gained too many constituency seats in the South of Scotland while he was on the list having challenged Iain Gray's constituency seat. Could be wrong though.

If you are interested, a very comprehensive analysis of the election results has been published by the Scottish Parliament's Information Centre...

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/research/briefings-11/SB11-29.pdf

Loads of stats and graphs - a bit anoraky - worth a read though.

One interesting stat, the constituency turnout was highest in the Lothians (55%), and lowest in Glasgow (41%). Quite a startling difference really!

Labour business manager Paul Martin, said: "The appointment of the new presiding officer was a big challenge for the new majority government, and it has not got off to a good start.:bairn

Labour business manager Paul Martin, said: "The appointment of the new presiding officer was a big challenge for the new majority government, and it has not got off to a good start.:bairn

Are Labour deliberately trying to wipe themselves out even further? Trounced for fighting a negative campaign and the first thing they do is gnash their teeth and scream 'that's no fair' from the sidelines.

I was in glenriothes visiting a mate and i saw her campaigning a while back., Scary scary woman.

I wouldn't take an open pay packet home to her, that's for sure...

You caught me. I'm an idiot. Oh no wait, I'm not the one who thinks the SNP are doing a good job. And, the general public will agree with me when the SNP thrown out in May. Labour will lead a minority government.

What are you talking about?

I think Labour will win the May election by a small margin and form a minority government. I think it'll have less to do with a detailed analysis of the respective records or policies of the main parties and more to do with large swathes of the Scottish electorate referring to their 'default' position and voting Labour, regardless. Especially with the Tories in power at Westminster.

The idea that any part will win a majority of the vote in May is absurd.

And any person who actively wants Ian Gray to be the First Minister of Scotland is an idiot.

Well, well, well, well, well. :rolleyes:

Right up ye snotter. :lol:

Are Labour deliberately trying to wipe themselves out even further? Trounced for fighting a negative campaign and the first thing they do is gnash their teeth and scream 'that's no fair' from the sidelines.

Well, since they are the opposition, it's a large part of their job description to gnash and scream about government decisions, the sidelines being about the only place they can occupy.

And in any case, they may have a point here, I previously posted on why I thought it would be more constructive for all concerned if the presiding officer did not come from the SNP.

Well, since they are the opposition, it's a large part of their job description to gnash and scream about government decisions, the sidelines being about the only place they can occupy.

And in any case, they may have a point here, I previously posted on why I thought it would be more constructive for all concerned if the presiding officer did not come from the SNP.

I hope Labour do it in a positive fashion. The SNP don't like any negativity whatsoever remember. :lol:

The level of criticism of the Scottish government will have to be good and not like it was in the last parliament. The Labour opposition were quite frankly, shite.

I did kind of agree with you, but what were the SNP expected to do, it was a free vote, did Labour expect it to be a whipped vote? Oh, and I was reminded today that in 2007, when it could have been Labour's turn, they flat out refused to put up a presiding officer candidate.

Edited, to add, and I was also reminded that when Labour were in a majority in Westminster, they voted for a Labour Speaker. I think it would have made sense to go for one from a different party, but Labour's position on this was a bit silly tbh.

Edited by xbl

They might have a point but making it sensibly and constructively would surely be the best thing for the Labour Party. Hasn't the last 4 years proved that being b*****ds in opposition, simply on principle, doesn't get you anywhere?

The problem with Labour is that they only see things in terms of what's good for the Labour Party. Just been shafted by the public at an election? Their answer, change ourselves about a bit to make the public like us. The Labour party were beaten because they have absolutely no vision or message for Scotland. Why is that and if it is the case, why should people vote for them. You can't manufacture a vision in a focus group meeting.

I did kind of agree with you, but what were the SNP expected to do, it was a free vote, did Labour expect it to be a whipped vote? Oh, and I was reminded today that in 2007, when it could have been Labour's turn, they flat out refused to put up a presiding officer candidate.

Edited, to add, and I was also reminded that when Labour were in a majority in Westminster, they voted for a Labour Speaker. I think it would have made sense to go for one from a different party, but Labour's position on this was a bit silly tbh.

well, 2007 is hardly the same thing, on the narrow margins in the parliaments then, it would have been political lunacy to voluntarily give up one vote.

As for Westminster, no I agree Labour were bloody stupid then as well, however, bare in mind that the system does work differnet down there, so while the position laobur chose to take down there is something I disagree with, it's not necessarily a one for one conformance to Holyrood systems.

They might have a point but making it sensibly and constructively would surely be the best thing for the Labour Party. Hasn't the last 4 years proved that being b*****ds in opposition, simply on principle, doesn't get you anywhere?

The problem with Labour is that they only see things in terms of what's good for the Labour Party. Just been shafted by the public at an election? Their answer, change ourselves about a bit to make the public like us. The Labour party were beaten because they have absolutely no vision or message for Scotland. Why is that and if it is the case, why should people vote for them. You can't manufacture a vision in a focus group meeting.

Again, all true. You have to remember as well though, that oppositions do find it far more difficult to articulate a position becuase they lack the apparatus of government to help them come to a reasoned position. For the most part, oppositions have to shoot from the hip regarding policy positions. They simply don't have the depth of researchers and policy wonks to help articulate a compex position.

In my own opinion, one of the great opportunities for increased individualism of Holyrood from Westminster, is to move away from adverserial politics. As it stands oppositions will attack and governments will counter-attack.

Can you link to that previous post? I'm struggling to think of a good reason beyond "Scottish NuLab comprises idiotic children."