May 2011 Election

xbl

498 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not one of them were up to the job either. They were all second raters.

Does that all mean that Patrick Harvie should be leader of the opposition?

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Salmond became leader for the second time in 2004.

First time round, the SNP weren't the force they are now.

Sure, they were the "official" opposition but McLetchie etc. didnt' resign after being trounced at the polls by them.

First time round, the SNP weren't the force they are now.

Sure, they were the "official" opposition but McLetchie etc. didnt' resign after being trounced at the polls by them.

They should f**k off as soon as the punters reject them. Same for all w**k politicians. You are not wanted so get to f**k.

I reckon Jim Murphy could be the saviour of the union. If he decided to grace us with his presence in Scotland, he could argue that a vote for independence would see him return up here full time. Nobody wants that, especially not old Skelator himself.

article-1085085-02652157000005DC-406_306x362.jpg

He looks like the Demon Headmaster.

Surprised Goldie has gone - although maybe that's my bias setting in seeing as my dad is an elder at the same church as her and I managed to interview her to salvage a decent mark in a uni assignment. Leading the Tories in Scotland is always going to be a hiding to nothing - but like being the Nazi party's candidate for Jerusalem.

They should f**k off as soon as the punters reject them. Same for all w**k politicians. You are not wanted so get to f**k.

You'd be ideal in a totalitarian state.

'ex-leader?' 'chop his fooking 'ead off!'

He looks like the Demon Headmaster.

Surprised Goldie has gone - although maybe that's my bias setting in seeing as my dad is an elder at the same church as her and I managed to interview her to salvage a decent mark in a uni assignment. Leading the Tories in Scotland is always going to be a hiding to nothing - but like being the Nazi party's candidate for Jerusalem.

She is a decent enough person. But she was a really shite leader. The self deprecataing humour thing is OK but she should be a total attack dog up here. The Scottish Tories have always been a bunch of over polite poofters. They need someone to get wired in and just stick the boot in to anything and everything. :lol: c***s.

edited because my keyboard totally m0nged out on me

You'd be ideal in a totalitarian state.

'ex-leader?' 'chop his fooking 'ead off!'

They have served their purpose. Now its off to the mincer to make dog food.

She is a decent enough person. But she was a really shite leader. The self deprecataing humour thing is OK but she should be a total attack dog up here. The Scottish Tories have always been a bunch of over polite poofters. They need someone to get wired in and just stick the boot in to anything and everything. :lol: c***s.

edited because my keyboard totally m0nged out on me

Ach dunno, cannae be doing with politicians that just attack everything because they didn't come up with the idea and would be giving their leader oral if they came up with it. So that'll be all of them.

At least she had a bit of personality and charisma, unlike Gray. The fact he just toddled off into Subway when that guy challenged him summed him up - either argue with him or deck the c**t, don't just run away into a place selling reasonably priced sandwiches.

At least she had a bit of personality and charisma, unlike Gray. The fact he just toddled off into Subway when that guy challenged him summed him up - either argue with him or deck the c**t, don't just run away into a place selling reasonably priced sandwiches.

Grey and 'deck the c**t' just don't go.

It'd been interesting if he had though, salmond would still have ripped him a new one.

Ach dunno, cannae be doing with politicians that just attack everything because they didn't come up with the idea and would be giving their leader oral if they came up with it. So that'll be all of them.

She was alarming looking but kinda friendly. I expect politicians to be ugly apart from that Del Pierro Labour burd. She would be done til my knob disintegrated.

Grey was such a bad leader. It was quite possible that Labour were going to run the SNP close or maybe even win up until the punters started to take notice that an election was going on. Thats usually about a fortnight beforehand. Once they started to pay any kind of attention they realised he was a fucking tool.

All the resignations are to be expected as that's what you do according to the rules of party politics after a gubbing - but they are all remarkably similar in that all 3 leaders are going without having a particularly strong candidate to replace them. The danger is that it leaves an utter void in the opposition, which was always going to be a hard enough task given the SNP majority and the fact that they have a reasonably strong team under Salmond. Iain Grey had to go and won't really take much replacing - but I'm not so sure about the other two.

I voted SNP and I'm pleased that they are in - but I'm slightly concerned that they have a completely free run at the next 5 years - as from a democratic point of view, it's not so healthy. I'd actually be in favour of the SNP voluntarily getting some opposition figures to chair or make up a larger proportion of some of the committees in order to put a bit of rigour into the whole thing otherwise, it could actually turn out negatively for the SNP. In any case, Salmond has a chance by treating them fairly to redefine things away from the soul destroying "opposition for opposition's sake" that Labour have been especially guilty of for the past 4 years.....

All the resignations are to be expected as that's what you do according to the rules of party politics after a gubbing - but they are all remarkably similar in that all 3 leaders are going without having a particularly strong candidate to replace them. The danger is that it leaves an utter void in the opposition, which was always going to be a hard enough task given the SNP majority and the fact that they have a reasonably strong team under Salmond. Iain Grey had to go and won't really take much replacing - but I'm not so sure about the other two.

I voted SNP and I'm pleased that they are in - but I'm slightly concerned that they have a completely free run at the next 5 years - as from a democratic point of view, it's not so healthy. I'd actually be in favour of the SNP voluntarily getting some opposition figures to chair or make up a larger proportion of some of the committees in order to put a bit of rigour into the whole thing otherwise, it could actually turn out negatively for the SNP. In any case, Salmond has a chance by treating them fairly to redefine things away from the soul destroying "opposition for opposition's sake" that Labour have been especially guilty of for the past 4 years.....

Yeah, as a leader, if you lose like they did you go.

You are right to be a bit worried about the state of the opposition up here. It really is a bit dire. I suppose it can be tempered by the fact that a lot of the SNP ones will have been kinda paper candidates in that they were fired into seats to give them a shot at fighting an election in seats they were expected to lose in. There is probably a fair lack of talent on the SNP backbenches as well.

All in all it makes for a fairly shit parliament again. But it IS what we all voted for.

Willie Rennie seems to be a shoe-in to replace Tavish Scott and with Derek Brownlee losing his seat at the election, I'd imagine no one of note will stand against Murdo "it could be soon" Fraser for the Tory gig.

Apparently Jackie Ballie (aka Mrs Blobby) is standing for Labour leader.

I'm with you to an extent - I certainly think they should leave the Presiding Officer role to the other three parties.

As soon as I read John McGlynn's comments today, I knew Annabel was a goner. A shame - quite liked her, although didn't feel right not to utterly despise the Tory leader. McGlynn was described in the Scotsman as an "ally" of Jackson Carlaw MSP - is this guy the donor's chosen one to run for leader now?

http://news.scotsman.com/politics/Tory-millionaire-calls-on-Annabel.6764917.jp

As for the Lib Dems, can't see past Willie Rennie for leader.

Labour might as well go for Groundskeeper Willie to run them - they are set for a few years of in-fighting I think.

Willie Rennie seems to be a shoe-in to replace Tavish Scott and with Derek Brownlee losing his seat at the election, I'd imagine no one of note will stand against Murdo "it could be soon" Fraser for the Tory gig.

Apparently Jackie Ballie (aka Mrs Blobby) is standing for Labour leader.

Do the Tories have anyone remotely likeable left? I heard that Bill Aitken on the radio and he was a fucking dinosaur. There was a debate about drugs and I found him really annoying. He's the only other Tory MSP who hasn't already been leader that I can recall and he's note a vote winner.

McLetchie and Goldie were likeable enough and if the Tories weren't a toxic brand (seems to be the jargon of the day) in Scotland more people might have voted for them.

Archived