May 2011 Election

xbl

498 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New poll gives SNP 11% and 10% lead in both votes according to Newsnight.

Load of nonsense. Things don't just go from Labour 15 points ahead to SNP winning in a month and a half. I just refuse to believe those numbers are anywhere close to accurate.

I closed mine before I took a note of all the scores but I know it said 32% Labour and 6% SNP. That may actually be near the truth but I'm still voting SNP. In an Independent Scotland I might vote labour (or maybe not) but I definitely would not vote SNP in an Independent Scotland as I actually disagree with most of their policies. As things stand though, they are the only party with a chance of winning that is willing to give us a say on independence so they get my vote. They will need a majority though to push through the referendum as the other parties will block it otherwise (unless someone like the greens can swing it in a coalition).

They were BAD. They UKIP one was hilarious, especially that guy who came in just after 2 mins. The Christian one was just crap and as for the BNP, it doesn't matter how they try to dress themselves up, we all know what they are. The Christian one did make me think though, that as well as asking potential adopters about their religion they should also be asked if they support any of the OF and should be automatically ruled out if they do. :D

Load of nonsense. Things don't just go from Labour 15 points ahead to SNP winning in a month and a half. I just refuse to believe those numbers are anywhere close to accurate.

The way Labour are performing? I hope you're wrong, because it would show that Scottish Labour voters were sstarting to open their ears and eyes.

The Daily Record now getting laugh out loud funny! Reduced to just making stories up and failing to report the latest poll results because they are humiliating to Labour.

Magnus Gardham is taking the Labour propaganda machine to a whole new level..:lol:

William Hill have shortened odds on Iain Gray losing his East Lothian seat, never mind the election:

http://www.williamhi....asp?file=16721

:blink:

Funny as that would be, I can't see it really happening.

Holyrood has never really had a Portillo moment, and Gray losing his seat would be the first.

It doesn't seem likely though, given the monkey in a red rosette approach in many areas (including my own).

William Hill have shortened odds on Iain Gray losing his East Lothian seat, never mind the election:

http://www.williamhillmedia.com/index_template.asp?file=16721

:blink:

Funny as that would be, I can't see it really happening.

I can, it's a long shot, but it might just come off. In the 2010 UK GE the tories came second in East Lothian and there has been a significat Liberal vote in East Lothain since the dawn of time. I can see a lot of Conservative and Lib Dem voters switching to the SNP in the constituency vote because of Mr Gray. Also consider that his notional majority is less that his actual majority, a chunk of Musselburgh is no not in the East Lothain constituency. Not massivly significant but it could just be that tight. I think the problem for Iain Gray has in East Lothian is there are more anti-Labour votes out there that actuall Labour votes. I am certain that changing demographics will eventually spell the end for Labour in East Lothian. For the SNP to win in East Lothain they have to get as many Liberal and Conservative voters to vote for the SNP as a protest against Iain Gray. The fact we have two ballots may help matters as a vote for the Liberals or Conservative will be far more importaint in the South of Scotland region than in East Lothian. I know the SNP have my vote in East Lothian...

Holyrood has never really had a Portillo

moment, and Gray losing his seat would be the first.

It doesn't seem likely though, given the monkey in a red rosette approach in many areas (including my own).

That is partly the problem. Some towns in East Lothain, especially in the west of the county will vote for Labour without giving a second though. Tranent was crucial in electing Labour member in Berwick and Haddington (as it was then) because it had a very strong Labour vote and always had a high voter turnout. Other towns where you would not expect a significant Labour vote had pretty pathetic voter turnout. I think the turnout in Haddington in the 1918 GE was 48% (I have a feeling in Gullane it was even lower, perhaps 41%). In Tranent it was over 80%. Obviously the 1918 election was a bit of a special case in terms of turnout but you get the general picture.

Archived