May 2011 Election

xbl

498 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The figures you posted are utterly irrelevant because, as I pointed out to you earlier, no election is a referendum on any one issue. Now, you shouldn't really need that spelled out for you on a football website but I suggest you read more carefully next time. You might learn something.

Here we go again!

A referendum is a one topic vote towards a specific situation, an election is where people take into consideration many many issues. In the Scottish election there will have been people who were promised the world by their prospective candidates in their own area, and they will have given their vote to them.

If the figures I posted weren't relevant, wouldn't we be having a re-count or another election? Anyway, the quicker the better for a referendum.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go again!

A referendum is a one topic vote towards a specific situation, an election is where people take into consideration many many issues. In the Scottish election there will have been people who were promised the world by their prospective candidates in their own area, and they will have given their vote to them.

Exactly. Adding up the votes of the parties who support independence against those who don't and saying, Scotland doesn't want independence because unionist parties got more votes doesn't work because there are many, many more issues than independence at play.

If the figures I posted weren't relevant, wouldn't we be having a re-count or another election? Anyway, the quicker the better for a referendum.

They are not relevant as far as saying how many people support independence and how many are opposed to it are. For example, there must be many people who are undecided. Where do they fit into your figures? Are they the ones, who didn't vote? If so, that's just under half the electorate.

Another bit of trivia, that I already kind of knew but didn't put together:

http://www.newsnetscotland.com/scottish-politics/2413-scottish-economy.html

However, few folk seem to have noticed that all three finance spokesmen for the big Unionist parties were also kicked out by the voters on election night. So it’s goodbye to Labour’s Andy Kerr, Tory Derek Brownlee, and the Lib Dems’s Jeremy Purvis.

:lol:

Another bit of trivia, that I already kind of knew but didn't put together:

http://www.newsnetscotland.com/scottish-politics/2413-scottish-economy.html

IIRC the reason Derek Brownlee lost his seat was because the Tories (ironically) gained too many constituency seats in the South of Scotland while he was on the list having challenged Iain Gray's constituency seat. Could be wrong though.

If you are interested, a very comprehensive analysis of the election results has been published by the Scottish Parliament's Information Centre...

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/research/briefings-11/SB11-29.pdf

Loads of stats and graphs - a bit anoraky - worth a read though.

One interesting stat, the constituency turnout was highest in the Lothians (55%), and lowest in Glasgow (41%). Quite a startling difference really!

Labour business manager Paul Martin, said: "The appointment of the new presiding officer was a big challenge for the new majority government, and it has not got off to a good start.:bairn

Labour business manager Paul Martin, said: "The appointment of the new presiding officer was a big challenge for the new majority government, and it has not got off to a good start.:bairn

Are Labour deliberately trying to wipe themselves out even further? Trounced for fighting a negative campaign and the first thing they do is gnash their teeth and scream 'that's no fair' from the sidelines.

I was in glenriothes visiting a mate and i saw her campaigning a while back., Scary scary woman.

I wouldn't take an open pay packet home to her, that's for sure...

You caught me. I'm an idiot. Oh no wait, I'm not the one who thinks the SNP are doing a good job. And, the general public will agree with me when the SNP thrown out in May. Labour will lead a minority government.

What are you talking about?

I think Labour will win the May election by a small margin and form a minority government. I think it'll have less to do with a detailed analysis of the respective records or policies of the main parties and more to do with large swathes of the Scottish electorate referring to their 'default' position and voting Labour, regardless. Especially with the Tories in power at Westminster.

The idea that any part will win a majority of the vote in May is absurd.

And any person who actively wants Ian Gray to be the First Minister of Scotland is an idiot.

Well, well, well, well, well. :rolleyes:

Right up ye snotter. :lol:

Are Labour deliberately trying to wipe themselves out even further? Trounced for fighting a negative campaign and the first thing they do is gnash their teeth and scream 'that's no fair' from the sidelines.

Well, since they are the opposition, it's a large part of their job description to gnash and scream about government decisions, the sidelines being about the only place they can occupy.

And in any case, they may have a point here, I previously posted on why I thought it would be more constructive for all concerned if the presiding officer did not come from the SNP.

Well, since they are the opposition, it's a large part of their job description to gnash and scream about government decisions, the sidelines being about the only place they can occupy.

And in any case, they may have a point here, I previously posted on why I thought it would be more constructive for all concerned if the presiding officer did not come from the SNP.

I hope Labour do it in a positive fashion. The SNP don't like any negativity whatsoever remember. :lol:

The level of criticism of the Scottish government will have to be good and not like it was in the last parliament. The Labour opposition were quite frankly, shite.

Archived