May 2011 Election

xbl

498 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Apologies if this has been posted earlier, but I think Cathy Peattie (Falkirk East) deserves some credit for taking defeat on the chin magnanimously.

And that is just one reason why Labour are soooo unelectable. Nit wits like that controlling us.wacko.gif

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's probably going to involve party whips anyway, but I don't doubt there are some considering how little emphasis they have put on the issue, just as there are die in the wool "craven" unionists who voted SNP.

I'd be interested to find out which SNP MSPs oppose separatism.

What complete garbage.

We all know some people who oppose independence voted for the SNP but SNP MSPs opposed to independence? Come on.

I'm sure you were one of the people claiming the SNPs 'raison d'etre' was independence (although you probably called it separatism). Both this and SNP MSPs being opposed to independence can't really, logically be true, can it?

I'm sure there is a spectrum of gradualists to more hardliners but there are not unionists within the SNP ranks at Holyrood. That's preposterous.

What complete garbage.

We all know some people who oppose independence voted for the SNP but SNP MSPs opposed to independence? Come on.

I'm sure you were one of the people claiming the SNPs 'raison d'etre' was independence (although you probably called it separatism). Both this and SNP MSPs being opposed to independence can't really, logically be true, can it?

I'm sure there is a spectrum of gradualists to more hardliners but there are not unionists within the SNP ranks at Holyrood. That's preposterous.

I can' really envisage it either, unless there's a careerist or two who could go either way.

I can' really envisage it either, unless there's a careerist or two who could go either way.

Seems strange to me too. Can't see how you could have risen in the SNP to the level of constituency/list candidate whilst opposing secession.

Just a quick question. Why can many posters who claim not to be against independence on principal, but on economic grounds etc, not even bring themselves to use the term 'independence' but have to call it 'separatism' or 'succession' which has been a unionist politician tactic for many years to try and make it sound scarier or nastier?

Just a quick question. Why can many posters who claim not to be against independence on principal, but on economic grounds etc, not even bring themselves to use the term 'independence' but have to call it 'separatism' or 'succession' which has been a unionist politician tactic for many years to try and make it sound scarier or nastier?

Do you mean "Secession"? Cos that what it is.

"Secession (derived from the Latin term "secessio" s the act of withdrawing from an organization, union, or especially a political entity"

It's hardly some nefarious unionist tactic.

Secession is a perfectly valid word to use, and I don't think it connotes anything especially negative. Separatism is a little different.

I for one have no qualms about using the word independence.

I've called it both independence and separatism. I've never used the succession one before.

I've never really done it to make it sound scary or nasty either but I suppose if you are a bit sensitive to these things then you will take what you want from them.

Do you mean "Secession"? Cos that what it is.

"Secession (derived from the Latin term "secessio" s the act of withdrawing from an organization, union, or especially a political entity"

It's hardly some nefarious unionist tactic.

Succession is when King Alex passes his crown to the lovely Queen Nicola :lol:

Fair enough, 'secession' isn't really in the same category as separatism. But it's clearly obvious that unionist politicians are making an effort to call it separatism instead of independence and I think the reason is incredibly obvious.

With that in mind, it's also obvious that amongst the pro-union/anti-independence group on this website, separatism is a fairly common, if not the most common term being used. I don't think you have to be overly-sensitive to pick this up. Just wondering why that was, when, reading between the lines, the use of the term 'separatism' is clearly used by unionist politicians to make independence sound scarier and more destructive.

On a similar note, the use of the word 'parochial' has diminished both by unionist politicians and unionists here. Although, tbf, Savage Henry is still fighting the good fight.

Interesting how these things seep down from politicians on TV to us mortals, and not just for unionists I might add.

I've just been going through the details of the results. In the constituency scoreboard the SNP attracted 902,915 votes (45.4%). Those not voting for the SNP totalled 1,086,307 (54.6%). In the regional results the SNP got 876,421 (44%). Not voting SNP 1,114,630 (56%).

Keeping in mind that a fair few voters were out to kick the stane poke of party they usually vote for and voted SNP instead and we also have 4+ years of an SNP government to go through before any referendum, I'd say this should keep the SNP on their toes. Any slip ups and their chances of winning any separation will be doomed. On the other hand, they may prove to be less sleekit than what we are used to from other parties and get even more support. Time will tell.

What an utterly redundant point. How do you think the votes would have stacked up in a two-option ballot ie

SNP or Labour?

SNP or Lib Dem?

SNP or Tory?

as opposed to winning a huge plurality of the vote in a multiparty election, with dozens of list parties standing?

The important figure is that the SNP had as many votes in the Constuencies as the next two largest parties put together, and even more in the List. They have one of the largest popular mandates in modern political history.

On a similar note, the use of the word 'parochial' has diminished both by unionist politicians and unionists here. Although, tbf, Savage Henry is still fighting the good fight.

Interesting how these things seep down from politicians on TV to us mortals, and not just for unionists I might add.

Another, recently diminished, one I recall is the persistent reference to Executive rather than Government.

Could the title of this thread maybe just be altered to "The Scottish Politics Discussion Thread" or something.

and get the two merged......

Archived