May 2011 Election

xbl

498 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not me, I'm not the type to join organised parties!

Normally I'd absolutely agree with you, previously, the thought of using anything other than the BBC was unthinkable, but as has been pointed out, the BBC coverage has been dreadful. Brian Taylor has clearly thrown the towel in, Radio Scotland was fairly disgraceful, the website hardly got updated, it was just like they begrudged every facet of the election. In contrast, 1. STV had candidate list, covered the debates comprehensively, had decent analysis and round up, and regular news. 2. Oh, and acknowledged that opinion polls existed. It was just a much more professional operation than the BBC. The biggest thing the BBC did was take a poll of manifesto commitments and declare that Labours were the most popular, a poll they took just after the release of the three Unionist ones and before the SNP and Greens released theirs. The only decent coverage by the BBC has been Newsnicht, which has clearly taken a break from being craven for a few weeks.

So really, STV deserve a whirl. They have been much more professional so far...but then, I'm fairly loyal to the BBC.:(

1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/election2011/overview/html/scotland.stm - the BBC have candidate and regional lists!

2. http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/briantaylor/2011/05/final_campaign_mission.html - Briain Taylor may be a fucking muppet but he's written a whole opinion piece on opinion polling and internal party polling.

Edit: oh and the Daily Politics even did a piece explaining how AMS works and referred to a recent poll to project the seat totals: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13197665

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to watch BBC coverage just to be see how uncomfortable Brian Taylor is in a tie. Someone needs to allow him to wear a big smock or a poncho or something like that.

I am going to watch BBC coverage just to be see how uncomfortable Brian Taylor is in a tie. Someone needs to allow him to wear a big smock or a poncho or something like that.

Let's hope all Labourites at BBC Scotland are in for an unconfortable night

:D Now that would be a sight . I think he needs to cut down on the cream buns. Me i will listen on the radio as i fall asleep all the time, and i have an early start at work.

labour, labour and yes.

:lol:

away for a day shift, will get round to it at about 5 tonight, then I'm on 'knock-up' duty from 6-8, then off to the count. Can't wait till I'm up at the office, there's a real buzz on election day.

I bet XBL wishes he had joined now......

Will you be in the vicinity of Portobello Town Hall tonight? If so I may see you there.

I got a leaflet through the door yesterday which showed an extremely hot Mary-Clare Friel urging me to vote Labour in Eastern Edinburgh. Having done a bit of checking, mostly for pictures to w**k over later as I chucked out the leaflet, she is the daughter of a Labour councillor, in Glasgow, and has just completed her studies at, have a guess, that's right, Glasgow Uni. She would appear to have no connection whatsoever to, or knowledge of the issues in, my constituency, yet she is 'telling' me to vote Labour. This really is desperate stuff, but in a small way my heart was lifted by their attempts to appeal to my baser instincts.

As an English-born and bred half-scot who is also (for the time being, at least), a member of the Labour Party, I really, really hope Scottish Labour get truly destroyed. I don't know if there is a half-competent mind between them. Bunch of incompetent arseholes, truly the worst of the worst gutter standard. I had the misfortune of hearing Iain Gray give a lecture and spent half of it praying to be deaf. When I die, I may possibly regret those 45 minutes before anything else. I'm no fan of independence (largely for illogical, emotional reasons) but Salmond is the only viable candidate.

Gave my second vote to the Greens. Felt all warm inside.

I hate this dead spell! Election day, when the news dries up, when there is either no point in speculation, or people don't want to tempt fate, and when the major broadcasters can't release polls or anything. Roll on the polls closing!

I hate this dead spell! Election day, when the news dries up, when there is either no point in speculation, or people don't want to tempt fate, and when the major broadcasters can't release polls or anything. Roll on the polls closing!

I like Election day.

I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but there's "something" about knowing people are heading out to polling stations around the country.

I like Election day.

I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but there's "something" about knowing people are heading out to polling stations around the country.

You can rob their houses?

I like Election day.

The opportunity for a spot of burglary? wink.gif

Damn it, beaten to the obvious joke. sad.gif

The SNP? Pro-Green?

:lol: :lol:

Haven't read a bigger load of nonsense in this thread, including Reynard's tongue-in-cheek lefty rants and Law Stud's hand-wrining over a Labour vote.

The SNP want to build lots more roads, are fully dependent on the oil/carbon economy, and don't seem to be able to see a way beyond that. There's lots of big talk about renewables, but little tangible detail to the plans to switch renewables.

Other than a broad agreement on holding a referendum on independence, the parties diverge quite sharply.

I largely agree with this, the SNP talk up renewables because it is a crucial plank of any Scottish economy within or without of the union, a strong Green presence alongside them will hopefully push them into more detailed action sooner on this matter. Not to mention some planks of the Greens social policies that I'd like to see enacted.

Terry Christian sums up Labour for me here.

The problem with Britain, and it inadvertently comes across in this piece, is that we are obsessed with the idea of "class". "I am working class" and "my working class roots, my working class area". If classes exist, then I am middle-class as it comes, I was privately educated etc...although back in the 1930s my grandfather was in a family of 12 with a single mother in Dennistoun, a member of the Communist Party, working 2 jobs and going to night school...we will only have "social mobility" in Britain when we stop labelling each other as class, start treating all occupations and forms of work as equal, and make pay more equal. Terry Christian has a pop at the "Oxbridge-educated". But if you have the academic potential to go to Oxford or Cambridge, as proven by exam results that you have worked hard to acheive, then why shouldn't you have the opportunity to go a top University? And there should be no tuition fees to p\y, so that everyone actually has the chance- in to other words, the meritocracy (in fact, I believe more in "from each according to what he deserves, to each according to his needs"). University is seen as some domain of the middle class, and by going you could "deny your working class roots", which is ridiculous. Yet by the same token, academic areas of work should not be seen as having more merit than other occupations. Get rid of the culture of "classes", give everyone the opportunity to have a job with fair pay, opportunities to get ahead, with good schools which give everyone the chance to fulfil their potential.

Since there is another thread (the exit poll) with a newer poll, this one might fall by the wayside. I decided to have a look back at my original post (October 2010) to see what has changed:

Since Labour and the SNP have pretty much launched their campaigns, with Labour offering a "living wage" and stuff like GARL, and the SNP offering a variety of stuff (same "living wage", phase out prescription charges, council tax cuts, scrap GARL), we're actually going to have two very different parties going for the polls, that differ in more than just independence vs. the Union.

The SNP are making cuts in things like Police forces and pointless projects like the Rail Link and no more money for trams, and are offering to keep council tax frozen and continue phasing out prescription charges. Meanwhile, Labour propose to (as far as I can see), keep and fund all of the big projects, while instead raising council tax to cover.

So there we have it, two big parties with significantly different visions. Since we have a Unionist Politics thread, why not a dedicated Scottish one as well?

Boy did I get that wrong. I didn't realise Labour would nab all the SNP policies for themselves! I also thought Labour would win, I kind of thought it would be inevitable, although I wasn't happy about that. I even spent some time having to justify why the SNP losing would not be a massive setback for them...but with polling underway, I'm hopeful! A second term would be pretty amazing, even more significant than the last election.

Will you be in the vicinity of Portobello Town Hall tonight? If so I may see you there.

Naw, going to Ingleston. Saying that, doing hee haw till 6.00ish ;)

The problem with Britain, and it inadvertently comes across in this piece, is that we are obsessed with the idea of "class". "

There's only 2 classes in the UK these days, working and non-working.

Archived