May 2011 Election

xbl

498 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It looks like I'm in the minority regarding Gray's performance today. I thought he did ok, but it seems that the majority think it was an embarrassing farce. Ach well, I'm not complaining about getting that one wrong.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like I'm in the minority regarding Gray's performance today. I thought he did ok, but it seems that the majority think it was an embarrassing farce. Ach well, I'm not complaining about getting that one wrong.

ach well can we compromise in that he himself did nothing wrong. but his system and team fucked up quite badly which reflects on him a little bit?

I just think if salmond had been met by that he at least would initally have tried to engage the mad woman/bloke before hastly leaving. and not btw running into subway, where he's cornered -one way in, one way out.

It was a complete disaster for 3 reasons:

1., the leader is seen to run away when faced with public criticism

2. Ealing comedy farce ensues when they corner themselves in Subway and have to field the protests with the cameras whirring

3. With some arrogance Gray mentions being confronted with a dozen protestors in Glasgow in the same sentence as, 15-20 years ago, having been in Mozambique (?), Rwanda immediately after the genocide and having "walked the killing fields of Cambodia". The scriptwriters of The Thick of It must be writing his lines.

coming across as clueless, evasive and arrogant in ten badly handled minutes is quite an achievement, but he managed it just fine.

See protesters are arseholes....

"We want an independent survey about the independent survey about the housing" - what a fucking moron. I'm not fan of Ian Gray but I'd agree with XBL in that he actually doesn't come across that badly. Indeed in the Subway he does stand and talk to the protestor despite being cornered and he makes the correct point that the Commonwealth Games is an invetment in Glasgow despite that not being what the idiots wanted to hear.

What is different here to a national campaign is that party leaders would never have been left to fend for themselves without police protection and body guards. You can get one unhappy person approach a candidate as Gilian Duffy did to Gordon Brown but you'd never get a situation where a candidate would be harangued in this way - especially not on camera. I guess Gray must have felt he'd be safe on home ground in Glasgow.

Kerr's interview is a catastrophe. He's meant to be one of Labour's better performers as well. The whole tone of the BBC piece is one of not taking Labour very seriously ( a sea change in itself) and Kerr gives Brewer no reason to take him seriously. Lots of flim-flam and ifs and buts.

Being a long term Labour supporter must be like having been a Burnley suporter in the mid 80s. You can remember the team winning the League title and reaching the FA Cup final, but the current reality involves a struggle to beat Newport County and Orient at home.

In the interview Kerr said 50% of all deaths in Scotland were knife related. Is this guy for real? :eek:

4:40 ... was he looking for a prompt?

A nod or a shake of a head off camera?

Is this man really the best of Labour in Scotland?

What does this say about the parts of Scotland that will vote for him anyway?

4:40 ... was he looking for a prompt?

A nod or a shake of a head off camera?

Is this man really the best of Labour in Scotland?

What does this say about the parts of Scotland that will vote for him anyway?

And I now speak fluent Portuguese thanks to Iain Gray:

:D

Its not often I doff my cap to the Scotsman, but their headline is good!

From Station to Subway - the flight of Iain Gray

"Stillie from Scotstounhill" later Tweeted: "Iain Gray just stumbled into my work being hurled abuse at by protesters. Not one of them bought as much as a cookie. ****."

fair point. how did this incident damage subway's business?

Its not often I doff my cap to the Scotsman, but their headline is good!

From Station to Subway - the flight of Iain Gray

The whole article is uncharacteristically a fair appraisal!

My favourite bit was:

One Labour official was heard telling Mr Gray: "Keep walking."

Do we really want an able bodied man who needs reminded how to perambulate running the country?

I know about multiquotes, but I just want to reply to a couple of little things from different posters!

Do we really want an able bodied man who needs reminded how to perambulate running the country?

:lol:

The Scotsman has done alright this election, and I have to say, surprisingly, so has Newsnicht! After years of fawning pish, both of my normal targets are being relatively fair. Alex Salmond and Kenny MacAskill have faced some tough questioning, but no more so than any other politicians, so not too bad.

3. With some arrogance Gray mentions being confronted with a dozen protestors in Glasgow in the same sentence as, 15-20 years ago, having been in Mozambique (?), Rwanda immediately after the genocide and having "walked the killing fields of Cambodia". The scriptwriters of The Thick of It must be writing his lines.

People seem to have taken that badly, which is fair enough I guess. Personally, I just thought it was an opportunity for him to talk about his past, which people say he doesn't do often enough. But thats just my take, and as I said, everyone else and the press seem to have taken it badly.

ach well can we compromise in that he himself did nothing wrong. but his system and team fucked up quite badly which reflects on him a little bit?

I just think if salmond had been met by that he at least would initally have tried to engage the mad woman/bloke before hastly leaving. and not btw running into subway, where he's cornered -one way in, one way out.

I actually watched the video again, and based on this post, you have a very good point. In my view, I thought Iain Gray did alright in that he remained composed, and as commented, he did try and speak to the guy in Subway, and he didn't seem to be shaken or frazzled. HOWEVER, what I did notice through the Blair Witch style footage was that, as you said, his team fucked up big time, and as you say, that reflects on him. You can't help but feel that Goldie, (especially) Salmond, and (even) Scott would have taken command of the situation. So they would have been the ones instructing their handlers, they would have dealt with it. Gray on the other hand remained passive and was effectively jostled about by his own security. He didn't take charge, he didn't give the orders, and he in no way demonstrated command over his own party aides, people who he is supposed to be in charge of. I just can't imagine that happening to Alex Salmond. If you look at the video when they are in Subway, you can briefly see Margaret Curran engaged in passionate discussion with someone at the door, Stairheid Rammy (thank you Rab McNeil!) , if she'd been in charge, would have taken command. And that I think is the biggest failing Iain Gray demonstrated.

Not personal cowardice, not a failure to engage, not even a lack of perspective, but he didn't show any command or authority. And this is coming from someone who doesn't think it was nearly as bad as the majority seem to make it out as, and in case there is any doubt, I'm no Iain Gray or Labour fan!

You can't help but feel that Goldie, (especially) Salmond, and (even) Scott would have taken command of the situation.

The Scotsmoan article states that Goldie was ambushed by the same group at her party manifesto launch, but she confronted their specific issues politely and forcefully instead of fumbling off to order a Meatball Marinara.

The Scotsmoan article states that Goldie was ambushed by the same group at her party manifesto launch, but she confronted their specific issues politely and forcefully instead of fumbling off to order a Meatball Marinara.

Anabel ambushed them.

it's Labour's knife crime claim that gets me.

they put this in a motion to the Scottish parliament - mandatory 6 months jail sentences.

then - at the bottom they added the proviso - unless the sheriff thinks there are reasons why defendants shouldn't go to jail. It's in the minutes

mandatory? naw

it's actually no different from the position today. The sheriff has discretion, under Labour, the sheriff has discretion. who are they trying to kid?

I've had some leaflets this week. An SNP one and a Labour one. Both had instructions how to vote. :lol: I guess the m0ng that vote for them need every little bit of help right enough.

Split loyalties: Ruper Murdoch's Tory-supporting Sun backs Alex Salmond's SNP

the-sun-and-the-snp-image-1-248953975.jpg

Rupert Murdoch's Tory-supporting Sun have agreed to back Alex Salmond's SNP in Scotland. The English-based tabloid are organising a "political breakfast" on April 21, during which Salmond will address business people.

It confirms speculation the Sun will support the Nats in the run-up to May 5. And it's a striking switch for a paper who, in a notorious lapse of taste on polling day 2007, portrayed the SNP logo as a noose. The Sun are now tying themselves in knots to appease Tory PM David Cameron. He is desperate to see Labour lose as it would hurt Labour leader Ed Miliband.

But after seeing Labour's manifesto, the Record are clearer than ever that Iain Gray has the right policies for Scotland's future. That's why we back Labour. We're interested in what's best for Scotland and our readers.

A couple of things here. First of all this is the lamest attempt to link the Tories and the SNP yet. Secondly, the sneering reference to "the English" is the sort of lazy attempt to play on anti English prejudice that the SNP are accused of. Thirdly, you've "seen" Labour's manifesto? Did you just look at the cover? Was it pretty? Did you read it? Fourthly, you think Iain Gray is best for Scotland? I mean what the f**k? Oh, and finally, remind me, who in Scotland owns the Daily Record?

Archived