May 2011 Election

xbl

498 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exhibit A:

Thanking you!

How very British though. If it isn't exactly the same Cold Dead British identity that you share, its "chippy", "parochial", and "bigoted".

You have a very poor grasp of the nature of the past tense. The question began "has anyone suggested" at one minute to two post meridian. Evidence of your response to said question was requested at seven minutes past two post meridian.

Pink Freud did not level the accusation until one minute to nine post meridian, and you only levelled the question to him at seven minutes past three post meridian.

Your entire correspondence cited with Pink Freud is void for irrelevance to the question and request which both pre-date it and pertain to a question as to past events and conduct. Unless you are to establish a wormhole in space-time which takes you from nine o'clock post meridian back to midday, your post is therefore void.

You have a very poor grasp of the nature of the past tense. The question began "has anyone suggested" at one minute to two post meridian. Evidence of your response to said question was requested at seven minutes past two post meridian.

Pink Freud did not level the accusation until one minute to nine post meridian, and you only levelled the question to him at seven minutes past three post meridian.

Your entire correspondence cited with Pink Freud is void for irrelevance to the question and request which both pre-date it and pertain to a question as to past events and conduct. Unless you are to establish a wormhole in space-time which takes you from nine o'clock post meridian back to midday, your post is therefore void.

Wow. Thems sure a lot of big words, looks like an affy elaborate way of admitting failure.

Wow. Thems sure a lot of big words, looks like an affy elaborate way of admitting failure.

It was supposed to be a bit of humour. Clearly it was lost on you.

The point was, however, that when someone asks the question "has anyone suggested <insert suggestion here>" at 2pm and someone makes said suggestion at 9pm it is not valid to cite said expression of opinion in answer to the previous question. The use of "has anyone suggested" rather than "has anyone suggested/is anyone suggesting/will anyone suggest" means that I was ONLY interested in evidence of people making the suggestion at a point before 2pm.

The point was, however, that when someone asks the question "has anyone suggested <insert suggestion here>" at 2pm and someone makes said suggestion at 9pm it is not valid to cite said expression of opinion in answer to the previous question. The use of "has anyone suggested" rather than "has anyone suggested/is anyone suggesting/will anyone suggest" means that I was ONLY interested in evidence of people making the suggestion at a point before 2pm.

If we were in court or something, maybe, but the fact is that someone has suggested it.

How very British though. If it isn't exactly the same Cold Dead British identity that you share, its "chippy", "parochial", and "bigoted".

It's usually at this point that the wounded Britisher will affect some kind of meaningless one-world posture. Or at the very least something vaguely pan-European that they'd never normally come out with.

Sorry, I'm not used to you having a sense of humour, consider me whooshed!

But it is a good example isn't it, as someone who likes to watch the occasional bit of cricket, I get it a fair amount...

"You don't support England?"

"No."

"You don't like cricket then?"

"I quite like it actually, not a dedicated fan, but it has its moments."

"...but you don't support England?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"They don't represent me, they are the English cricket team."

"No! They're British!!!"

"Really? So why are they called "England", and not "Britain"?"

"..........you're so parochial/chippy/bigoted"

Here is an example of the sort of lazy smear I hear:

I can see him spitting feathers about cricket being an "English" game. :lol:

Witness the assumption of bigotry, the presumption of anti-Englishness, and the whole tone of the post. I appreciate that Reynard isn't being entirely serious (as is his wont), but this sort of reaction really isn't uncommon.

Sorry, I'm not used to you having a sense of humour, consider me whooshed!

I'm appalled.

But it is a good example isn't it, as someone who likes to watch the occasional bit of cricket, I get it a fair amount...

"You don't support England?"

"No."

"You don't like cricket then?"

"I quite like it actually, not a dedicated fan, but it has its moments."

"...but you don't support England?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"They don't represent me, they are the English cricket team."

"No! They're British!!!"

"Really? So why are they called "England", and not "Britain"?"

"..........you're so parochial/chippy/bigoted"

Except that's not really what happened. Pink Freud is the only one to have suggested that it is odd you wouldn't support England and he did so AFTER I asked if there was any evidence that anyone had presumed that you had done so.

MOST people were merely taking the piss out of your outrageously touchy response to the suggestion that the England and Wales cricket team might just legitimately arouse British sentiment among some followers.

Here is an example of the sort of lazy smear I hear:

Oh come on. It's called provocative parody.

Witness the assumption of bigotry, the presumption of anti-Englishness, and the whole tone of the post. I appreciate that Reynard isn't being entirely serious (as is his wont), but this sort of reaction really isn't uncommon.

He wasn't being remotely serious. He was doing this thing called taking the piss. Believe it or not, right wingers have a sense of humour too.

He wasn't being remotely serious. He was doing this thing called taking the piss. Believe it or not, right wingers have a sense of humour too.

Andrei Kanchelskis is one of the funniest people i know...

And I said that he wasn't being serious. I actually said that in the post you quoted. However my point was

that this is an example the sort of

thing that I've heard before.

I suspect that you get this kind of stuff because on this particular topic you are just plain silly. If you genuinely know people who give a shit about whether or not you support England at cricket, avoid them like the plague. I suspect, that like me, they can't resist a gentle wind up with you. You are so anti British that it isn't hard, and your London knows best, and cold dead stuff is frankly worthy of such reciprocal mockery.

I suspect that you get this kind of stuff because on this particular topic you are just plain silly. If you genuinely know people who give a shit about whether or not you support England at cricket, avoid them like the plague. I suspect, that like me, they can't resist a gentle wind up with you. You are so anti British that it isn't hard, and your London knows best, and cold dead stuff is frankly worthy of such reciprocal mockery.

Is this an example of the traditional Cambridge tradition of frantically rowing backwards?

Archived