Driving test

Danib24

Thought I'd bump this thread to see if anyone can help me out. Going to start learning to drive again. I'm living in Glasgow now and started learning for a bit in Perth, but kind of gave up.

Theory test - not as confident as I should be here. Any idea how long it'll take me to revise this? Also, been looking at ones that come with free resits if you get enough points and still fail. Anyone used any of these before? Unsure as to how dodgy they are.I also did a practice test on the DSA website with no study at all and got 42 out of 50.

Practical - Really want to get this done and dusted quickly, but I'm going to pass the theory first as I know it stays active for two years now. Was thinking of taking a week of the holidays I have left from work and doing an intensive course. I know they are frowned upon, but I can pick things up pretty quickly, as I did a couple of lessons when I was younger and could drive alright (I think). Does anyone know any good ones in Glasgow?

Thanks in advance guys.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought I'd bump this thread to see if anyone can help me out. Going to start learning to drive again. I'm living in Glasgow now and started learning for a bit in Perth, but kind of gave up.

Theory test - not as confident as I should be here. Any idea how long it'll take me to revise this? Also, been looking at ones that come with free resits if you get enough points and still fail. Anyone used any of these before? Unsure as to how dodgy they are.I also did a practice test on the DSA website with no study at all and got 42 out of 50.

Practical - Really want to get this done and dusted quickly, but I'm going to pass the theory first as I know it stays active for two years now. Was thinking of taking a week of the holidays I have left from work and doing an intensive course. I know they are frowned upon, but I can pick things up pretty quickly, as I did a couple of lessons when I was younger and could drive alright (I think). Does anyone know any good ones in Glasgow?

Thanks in advance guys.

I would revise as much as possible mate, I only waited 2 weeks when I booked my theory, I just practiced every day and luckily I passed first time.

The intensive course probably isn't worth it with the money it costs, you are probably better going out with a instructor a few times before booking something like that. I do my lessons with Red Driving School, I would reccomend them. The guy I do them with is a decent enough guy and I've learned alot from him.

Hope this helps. Good luck! :D

I would revise as much as possible mate, I only waited 2 weeks when I booked my theory, I just practiced every day and luckily I passed first time.

The intensive course probably isn't worth it with the money it costs, you are probably better going out with a instructor a few times before booking something like that. I do my lessons with Red Driving School, I would reccomend them. The guy I do them with is a decent enough guy and I've learned alot from him.

Hope this helps. Good luck! :D

Thanks mate. Good luck to you with yours.

Don't know if anyone knows anyone who has done those intense courses? The thing is I might not be in Scotland for that many more mnths and want to get it over and done with quickly. Cost isn't an issue to me regarding this.

My pal failed her test today (2nd attempt), she also failed her theory test twice (although it may have been 3 times). Clearly not fit to drive a wagon, but she was very down this evening.

I passed both tests first time (cause I'm a total boy). 50/50 and 74% on hazard perception, IIRC. Think I got 3 minor faults on my practical. Think it's just over a year to the day when I passed, I'd say I'm a far better driver than all my mates (and my wee mum), and probably a better driver than my dad too.

I don't really have many stand-out talents, but I am a fucking sensational driver. I love cars too.

My pal failed her test today (2nd attempt), she also failed her theory test twice (although it may have been 3 times). Clearly not fit to drive a wagon, but she was very down this evening.

I passed both tests first time (cause I'm a total boy). 50/50 and 74% on hazard perception, IIRC. Think I got 3 minor faults on my practical. Think it's just over a year to the day when I passed, I'd say I'm a far better driver than all my mates (and my wee mum), and probably a better driver than my dad too.

I don't really have many stand-out talents, but I am a fucking sensational driver. I love cars too.

You've been driving for a year! A wealth of experience you've got there.

It's lucky that you're saving your car crashes for in here.

1st test: 14 minors and 1 major. Major was for coming off a slip road after someone had pulled out to the outside lane to let me out and accelerating instead of holding my speed and letting him back in. Harsh, I thought, but I'm glad I failed as it made me a better driver in the long run.

Undertaking is illegal. U deserved to fail.

Unlucky, Killie lad. Your next one will be easier! Keep your chin up, i know it's hell but dont dwell on it!

I failed my first test. It was murder, i had the examiner and a trainee examiner in the back! Pressure was on! "Take the exit after the viaduct" me thinking "WTF is a viaduct?!" So i Just kept going straight. "You were meant to take that last exit, son." Panic and "the fear" kicked in so i went for a crazy lane change and failed on that! Can laugh now, wasn't funny then! I was even in my own car expecting to be out impressing the girls that night! Passed no bother 2nd time tho. The girls were well impressed . . .

I tended to bottle tests by doing stupid things that I have never done before or since.

Test 1 - 4 Minors 1 Major - This one was the most annoying one I got almost all the way round, before a cyclist cut me up coming off the pavement and I got too close. Gutted

Test 2 - 8 Minors 2 Majors - Got really nervous and messed up on two different roundabouts

Test 3 - 6 Minors 2 Majors - Drove about for quite a while and then a quickfire double in terms of majors, met a car and tried to squeeze through a tight gap and got stopped (I thought I had enough room) turn 30 seconds afterwards when trying to join the otherside of a dual carriage way, In the middle filter zone there were two cars quite far over and quite a big space at the end, it was all clear so I went for the space, and majored

Test 4 - 3 Minors 1 Major - I fancied a change of scene so did it in Castle Douglas rather than Dumfries, learned random country roads that'll never do again. I then messed up a parallel park and kerbed it early, then went on to drive brilliantly. I decided f**k this shit for a year.

I decided to give it one more go

Lol I failed again...

Or Did I?

Test 5 - 11 Minors 0 Majors - after a year out i thought i'd give it one more go, I got up super early on a monday morning and got the same instructor from Test 3. I decided to err on the side of caution at every junction or roundabout and drive pretty slow. I got stuff for being uber cautious, lack of speed and mirrors were the main stuff. i also almost messed up another paralell park but I saved it. Probably the worst I've driven but passed. I got a talk at the end from the examiner essentially saying that despite passing you need to stop being so shit. Then went home had a victory w**k, washed my hands and went to McDonalds. It was a great day.

umad.gif

I tended to bottle tests by doing stupid things that I have never done before or since.

Test 1 - 4 Minors 1 Major - This one was the most annoying one I got almost all the way round, before a cyclist cut me up coming off the pavement and I got too close. Gutted

Test 2 - 8 Minors 2 Majors - Got really nervous and messed up on two different roundabouts

Test 3 - 6 Minors 2 Majors - Drove about for quite a while and then a quickfire double in terms of majors, met a car and tried to squeeze through a tight gap and got stopped (I thought I had enough room) turn 30 seconds afterwards when trying to join the otherside of a dual carriage way, In the middle filter zone there were two cars quite far over and quite a big space at the end, it was all clear so I went for the space, and majored

Test 4 - 3 Minors 1 Major - I fancied a change of scene so did it in Castle Douglas rather than Dumfries, learned random country roads that'll never do again. I then messed up a parallel park and kerbed it early, then went on to drive brilliantly. I decided f**k this shit for a year.

Lol I failed again...

Or Did I?

Test 5 - 11 Minors 0 Majors - after a year out i thought i'd give it one more go, I got up super early on a monday morning and got the same instructor from Test 3. I decided to err on the side of caution at every junction or roundabout and drive pretty slow. I got stuff for being uber cautious, lack of speed and mirrors were the main stuff. i also almost messed up another paralell park but I saved it. Probably the worst I've driven but passed. I got a talk at the end from the examiner essentially saying that despite passing you need to stop being so shit. Then went home had a victory w**k, washed my hands and went to McDonalds. It was a great day.

Posted Image

Out of interest buddy where do you generally tend to drive? Are you ever between Glasgow and Kilmarnock?

I did no revision for my theory and did well, 46 or so, but a few questions were pure flukes. Hazard perception is easy so long as you have decent reactions

Fluked my practical second time around due to me distracting the testy fella

Thanks in advance guys.

The Theory is easy, a lot of it is common sense, you can download the app. gives you all the questions (and answers) and allows you to do practise tests. I spent about 2 weeks studying. Passed

I'd recomment you book a few lessons with a driving instructor to begin with, Have you ever sat behind the wheel of a car before?? If not you really won't know how you will react, everyone is different and its not as simple as just "this is how a car works, now off you go"

I was fortunate i picked it up pretty quickly. I was doing my lessons over the winter months, which means it was always dark and shite weather, plus at the time I was staying in the city centre, it was always busy with other motorists who really have feck all patience with learners and cyclists at every turn.

It was good for my confidence though as i've known people who live outside the city and panic it as soon as drive through it or can't handle in shitty weather conditions.

Managed to pass first time in what can only be described as a dream test setting, the roads were quiet and all that was asked of me was a turn in the road on the world's widest road in an industrial estate. Still got 2 minors, for apparently braking harshly (is that a word?) before a junction and signalling late.

Got a telling off afterwards for not driving economically too, but after passing first time I really couldn't give a f**k and ran out for a fag after he'd signed the paperwork.

Lol I failed again...

Or Did I?

Posted Image

Lmao.

The theory is indeed common sense in most cases, some stuff like stopping distances you probably need to memorise but the easiest way I found for both car and motorbike theory was to just use the mock exams and constantly take tests, mark the answers you are not sure about then read the explanations for the wrong answers, then repeat until your regularly hitting the pass mark.

You find that the questions are grouped together all quite similar with different wording for each test but with the same sort of answer.

Archived